125740Re: Self-Correction Re: [dsg] Khandhas - audio extract KK 2011

    Aug 1, 2012
      Dear Howard & Alex,
      --------------------------
      >HCW:
      >Yes, that is the main reading, namely that of
      >mass/bulk/category/group/collection. However, I have seen a secondary meaning  given in the PTS
      >dictionary (that I looked up an hour or so ago) that also  applies 'khandha' to
      >the *members* of a group. So, that usage is acceptable as  well, and I stand
      >corrected on this. (It would not be normal English usage, but  we are
      >dealing with meanings of a Pali word, not an English one.)

      S: Yes, "meanings of a Pali word, not an English one"

      Let's look at SN 48 (Bodhi transl):

      "At Saavatthii. 'Bhikkhus, I will teach you the five aggregates and the five aggregates subject to clinging. Listen to that........

      'And what, bhikkhus, are the five aggregates? Whatever kind of form there is, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near: this is called the form aggregate.'"

      [S: in other words, any past rupa is rupa khandha, any future rupa is rupa khandha, any rupa arising now is rupa khandha and so on. Each rupa shares the characteristics of being rupa with each other rupa, therefore each one is rupa khandha.]

      " 'Whatever kind of feeling there is....perception....volitional formations... whatever kind of consciousness there is, whether past, future, or present, internal or external, gross or subtle, inferior or superior, far or near: this is called the consciousness aggregate. These, bhikkhus, are called the five aggregates.' "

      [S: Again, any kind of feeling is vedana khandha. Pleasant feeling is vedana khandha, unpleasant feeling, past feeling, subtle feeling.....each one vedana khandha. Same for different perceptions, other cetasikas or kinds of consciousness. Seeing is vinnana khandha, hearing, smelling, thinking - each kind of citta is vinnana khandha, sharing the nature of vinnana/citta with each other one.]

      "' And what, bhikkhus, are the five aggregates subject to clinging? Whatever kind of form there is, whether past, future, or present.....far or near, that is tainted, that can be clung to: this is called the form aggregate subject to clinging.' "

      [S: If a past rupa, such as a past visible object, was clung to, it was upadana khandha. If visible object or sound now is clung to, it is upadana khandha. Here the text is referring to realities, rupas which are the objects of attachment, not to "categories" or "groups". It means any kind of rupa at all, any rupa khandha. The same applies to all other kinds of khandhas.]