114492Re: [dsg] just joining the posting group

    Apr 11, 2011
      Dear Jacob/Jake*

      --- On Wed, 6/4/11, jacob <perpetualfl0w@...> wrote:

      >Again thanks for the encouragement. the questions that tend to come up right now are related to; if there are associatted monasteries or centers for the study / practice as described in Khun Suchin's tradition. I have been sincerely developing the intention to "become a monk" for a few years ; and the outcome of my learning and practice was not what i had initially expected.
      S: If you are visiting Bangkok anytime, I recommend you attend one of the Saturday afternoon discussions (in English) at the foundation where K.Sujin teaches. Also, as I said, you can listen to the edited recordings to be found on www.dhammastudygroup.org and also, join in the discussions here!

      Whatever you do/wherever you go, the practice has to come back to the understanding of present realities now. There will always be expectations and disappointments throughout life!

      >The outcome of my efforts is a dis -illusionment and weariness towards all conceptual forms and intentions related to 5 sense door experiences- that includes the conceptual forms related to "monks" and activities related to "monks" ( which was previously functioning as the objects of passionate and delusional formations and concepts ).
      S: Yes, always clinging, attachments and expectations to stories about various sense door experiences. You're pointing to the Buddha's first two truths - the 5 clung-to khandhas of dukkha.
      >Not that kama chanda is anywhere near exhausted from my mental continuum - quite the contrary, "my" mind is still frequently swarmed by tanha- but theres enough understanding to see all 5 sense door activities are painful and driven by ignorance and lustfullness - even "my" desire to "become a monk"  for which my passion is now on the wane.
      S: And as you hint at - the point is that these are just more conditioned dhammas, not belonging to anyone at all! Tanha is so common and natural - anatta. Nothing to be upset about:)
      >For me -  When the gross rupas fall away from the mental processes temporarily - it is relative safetey and happiness - all the previously accumulated efforts to learn about what is sila samadhi and panna converge and all gross concepts related there to fall away in the present moment that gives rise to clarity and respite from the arduous and tremendous burning that is thinking born of ayoniso manasikara or paapanca.
      S: And then there can be clinging again to panna, samadhi or anything else. Usually, no one complains about the attachment because of the pleasant feeling. Usually, it's the aversion that we mind about. Regardless of what dhammas arise - whether lobha, dosa, panna or sense experiences - all inherently dukkha on account of their impermanence and none belonging to oneself.
      >Ayoniso manasikara is like a crazy man who wanders around hawaii taking pleasure - he thinks it is very wonderful "place" but actually "hawaii"  is only perhaps 1% of a giant mountain that is a volcano and will errupt and wash away everything anytime. There isnt even one moment when such a person is in a good position - yet he thinks he is in paradise. Ugh, for one who has seen the danger in such a "place" there is much sufferring to be joined amoungst those who assume they are well off.
      S: A very graphic metaphor. And we can go further and indiciate that there's ayoniso manasikara (unwise attention) even when there's just a little ignorance or mild attachment, like there is most of the time. Even as I write about the dhamma, there's attachment to the last of the sunset behind the skyscrapers here, a little aversion to the traffic noise and lots of ignorance in between the sense door processes.....all just common, ordinary dhammas. There can be the growth of understanding even now.
      >But I am still learning - indeed not even having left "this shore" I am far away from the "further". And while I am still here on this shore it seems to be a necisary condition to stay here in Thailand , where being somone who is interested in learning Buddha Dhamma is accepted and encouraged. For now I am hoping to find and associate with an educational institution or other appropriate social network institution that will promote the study and development of panna in a pure, unadulterated, non sectarian way - and hopefully gain governmental acceptance to stay here in Thailand based on approval to study from such a group.
      S: You sound like you have a very keen interest in the Dhamma and I hope it works out well for you in Thailand. If you'd like to meet K.Sujin and some English-speaking students in Bangkok, let me know off-list and I'll put you in touch. (Sukin, if you're reading this, you may like to introduce yourself to Jake).

      >Now I am reluctant and ashamed to ordain because i know the anusaya kilesas still frequently give rise to the 5 hindrances for me, and i do not want to stain the image of the thai sangha . None the less, it seems it may be very useful to develop knowledge of cultural conditions to join the sangha at Wat Pah Nana Chat for a limited period of time - so this is what I'm off to next. (conceptually speaking) Hopefully i will be able to be humble and aware, full of shame towards the hindrances , and things will go well. they do not encourage or allow computers there so it may be a bit of time before i can get oppurtunity to join the posting group , but look forward to the time when i have more oppurtunity to share more of my experiences and ask questions related to.
      S: I'm sorry for the delay in my reply. You may have left already for the Wat. Best wishes however it works out. Conditioned dhammas wherever we are. Anusaya kilesas giving rise to the hindrances, as you mention, are bound to be there unless eradicated. Anatta!
      * aka Jake to my hometown family and friends in Boston MA , usa
      S: Perhaps we can be your Dhamma friends. Just let us know which you'd prefer to be addressed by.

      I appreciate your comments, honest reflections and keen consideration of the Dhamma.

      ======
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic