114[DhammaStudyGroup] Re: Helping elderly parents

  • Indorf,Pinna Lee
    Feb 3, 2000
      As Amara said, it is a complex problem. One side of the issue is duty and
      duty seems clear. But how duty is carried out is also not clear. The other
      side is allowing someone to keep their independence and do things for
      themselves (as my mother still wants to); allow them to make their own
      decisions as long as they can. I have observed in my family (extended as
      well as immediate) decisions about health care left to the patient and it is
      not easy to judge when someone knows best for themselves; it is also not
      always easy to see the critical turning point in a person's ability to take
      care of herself / her own health (life-threatening crises are of course
      clear). Is it a duty to impose a change of lifestyle or a different approach
      to health? Other aspects are unfortunately mundane financial issues, also
      complex: the USA does not have a universal social welfare system, neither
      my mother nor I can be fully 'covered' (me not at all) and private insurance
      is out of the question. Either one of us could fall ill and wipe out both
      our life-savings in a few months. While I'm working here, I'm 'covered' to
      some extent and will not be such a potential burden on my mother's
      resources. There are home-care services available in her area, but only if a
      doctor recommends them can they be initiated. My mother is still 'too
      healthy' for those, but suffers from allergies and loss of strength and
      short-term memory which comes with age (not an illness yet), and her
      community of peers is decreasing. There are no purely commercial care
      services avialable within a 50 mile radius, and likewise not many job
      opportunities for me, well it would be a complete change of 'career.' And
      there is a lot of clinging to my study of Asian (Hindu and Buddhist)
      architecture! Ending a 'career' is also a dilemma!
      Pinna

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic