113325Re: On Accumulations.

    Feb 2, 2011
      Hi Alex & all,

      Just checking on #105445

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "truth_aerator" <truth_aerator@...> wrote:
      > In Therigatha there is a story of a nun (which attained Arhatship under Buddha Gotama) who 7 lives back, in city of Erakaccha was a wealthy goldsmith. 7) Being rich youth he slept with someone's wife. 6) He was reborn and cooked in hell. 5) He was reborn as a monkey who got castrated, 4) then as one-eyed lame she-goat. 3)Then castrated calf, then 2) as hermaphrodite. In the last life he was reborn as slave-girl in difficult situation. Eventually she became nun and an Arhat. Isidasi Therigatha (group of 40 verses)
      >
      > No mention of long path of accumulations of being reborn as a monk or a nun, or even lay disciple. While the good accumulations had been there, I mean you have to have lots of good accumulations to be reborn as a 3-rooted human, meet a Buddha and become an Arahat.
      In this case she performed lots of merit under the previous Buddha.
      See Connie's detailed posts on her, beginning with #80080:

      Part 1 of 21

      15. Cattaaliisanipaato
      1. Isidaasiitheriigaathaava.n.nanaa

      XV. The Section of the Group of Forty [Verses]
      1. The commentary on the verses of Therii Isidaasii
      <...>
      In the section of forty [verses], the verses beginning In the city named for a
      flower are Therii Isidaasii's. She too did meritorious deed[s] under previous
      Buddha, living in the state of a man*, and having accumulated good deeds in
      various lives, in her seventh existence before her final existence, because of
      an inclination to bad conduct committed the act of adultery. Having died, she
      was born in hell. When she died there, she was conceived as a hermaphrodite in
      the womb of a servant girl.

      <...>
      When she died there, she was born as the daughter of a certain poor cart
      driver. When she came of age, Giridaasa, the son of a certain caravan leader,
      made her his weife and brought her to his home. And his [first] wife was
      virtuous and of good character. Overcome by envy of her, she made her husband
      hate* her [the first wife].

      *Veddesana-kamma.m akaasi. This may mean: "she performed an incantation to
      excite hatred in her husband for her" (cf. MW sv vi-dvesha[-karman]).

      <...>
      She lived out her life span there, and after she died, in this Buddha era, she
      was reborn in Ujjenii as the daughter of a merchant who was wealthy and honoured
      for his qualities of practising morality and [being from a good] family and a
      [good] region, etc. When she came of age, her mother and father gave her to a
      certain merchant's son who was her equal with regard to family, good looks, age,
      and wealth. She lived in his house for a month and was dutiful to her husband.
      Then due to the power of her [former] deeds, her husband became displeased with
      her and threw her out of the house. All this is to be understood in the text [of
      the verses].
      >Then because of the fact that one husband after the other was led to being
      displeased with her, a profound stirring arose in her. After her father gave his
      permission, she went forth in the presence of Therii Jinadattaa*. She devoted
      herself to the gaining of insight, and in a very short time she gained the state
      of Arahatship together with the [four] discriminations. And she spent her time
      in the happiness of the fruition state and the happiness of quenching.

      *KRN says, "The name Jinadattaa suggests that the nun was a Jain" (EV II p157,
      ad v 428).
      S: Your message is a year old, so I'm sure Jon discussed all the points. I'd just put it aside to check the story for my own interest, thx:-)