107349How to be a good guy? Be one.

  • truth_aerator
    May 1, 2010
      Dear Lukas,

      >But now I feel like I have to change my behaviour.

      Do your best and let conditions take care of the rest.

      Please don't use "accumulations" as an excuse to do bad deeds.

      MN20 lists good methods.
      "There is the case where evil, unskillful thoughts — imbued with desire, aversion, or delusion — arise in a monk while he is referring to and attending to a particular theme.

      1) He should attend to another theme, apart from that one, connected with what is skillful.

      2)he should scrutinize the drawbacks of those thoughts:

      3)he should pay no mind and pay no attention to those thoughts.

      4)He should attend to the relaxing of thought-fabrication with regard to those thoughts.

      5)he should beat down, constrain, and crush his mind with his awareness. As — with his teeth clenched and his tongue pressed against the roof of his mouth — he is beating down, constraining, and crushing his mind with his awareness, those evil, unskillful thoughts are abandoned and subside. With their abandoning, he steadies his mind right within, settles it, unifies it, and concentrates it. Just as a strong man, seizing a weaker man by the head or the throat or the shoulders, would beat him down, constrain, and crush him; in the same way, if evil, unskillful thoughts — imbued with desire, aversion or delusion — still arise in the monk while he is attending to the relaxing of thought-fabrication with regard to those thoughts, then — with his teeth clenched and his tongue pressed against the roof of his mouth — he should beat down, constrain, and crush his mind with his awareness. As — with his teeth clenched and his tongue pressed against the roof of his mouth — he is beating down, constraining, and crushing his mind with his awareness, those evil, unskillful thoughts are abandoned and subside. With their abandoning, he steadies his mind right within, settles it, unifies it, and concentrates it.
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/mn/mn.020.than.html

      With metta,

      Alex
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic