Re: [dglist] (no subject)

  • Shane Ivey
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 4 7:27 PM
      On Apr 3, 2005 12:32 AM, Mark McFadden <lizardrex@...> wrote:

      > who deltagreen

      Silly lizard. Tricks are for kids who go to the DGML site and click "members".

    • Mark McFadden
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 4 9:00 PM
        Shane Ivey wrote:
        > On Apr 3, 2005 12:32 AM, Mark McFadden <lizardrex@...> wrote:
        >
        >>who deltagreen
        >>

        > Silly lizard. Tricks are for kids who go to the DGML site and click "members".

        I know. I remember saying "Doh!" right about the time I hit the Send
        icon, remembering that we are now on Yahoo!, so I can't use Listserv
        commands anymore.

        BTW, "Members" doesn't appear on the menu at the site for folks that
        aren't moderators. Everyone else sees:

        * Messages
        * Post
        * Chat
        * Files
        * Photos
        * Links
        * Database
        * Polls

        but no * Members.

        However, the information I was looking for (601 members) is available
        on the Home page, so I'm satisfied.

        Mark McFadden
      • Shane Ivey
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 4 9:07 PM
          > BTW, "Members" doesn't appear on the menu at the site for folks that
          > aren't moderators. Everyone else sees:

          Whoops.

          So is the membership list something people want open for fellow list
          members? Any strong opinions either way?
        • ialdaloboth *genzundheit!*
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 4 11:35 PM
            >Whoops.
            >
            >So is the membership list something people want open for fellow list
            >members? Any strong opinions either way?

            For fellow list members, I don't see why it should be a problem.

            But is there a way the more paranoid amongst us can have their being here
            hidden from the view of all but the moderators/owners?

            Not that I have any such concerns, but there may be a few MIBs and LIBs who
            desire total denial.

          • ialdaloboth *genzundheit!*
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 4 11:46 PM
              (I just saw this over at rpg.net:)

              Unnameable is a complete roleplaying game that combines the horror of H.P.
              Lovecraft with the swashbuckling action of Victorian adventure fiction. Some
              of its notable features include:

              * CURE - A cohesive,unified, resolution mechanic that relies on only one
              kind of die - the incredibly common and easy to come by six-sided die (that
              little cube-shaped sucker) !
              * A flexible character generation system that allows you to play the kind of
              character that you want to play, rather than forcing you to cobble one
              together from a pre-defined list of traits.
              * A resource management aspect that allows players to influence the outcome
              of roll results, allowing their characters to thwart death and perform feats
              of heroism when they feel it is dramatically appropriate.
              * Rules for initiating combat that make perfect sense and don't interrupt
              the flow of actual gameplay with pointless dice rolling or tedious number
              crunching.
              * Armor that reduces the amount of damage inflicted to characters by a
              successful attack, rather than making them harder to hit.
              * Rules for emulating the effects of pronounced stress upon the human psyche
              in a manner that is as entertaining as it is true to the source material.
              * A freeform spell system based largely on actual period magic that stays
              true to both the Victorian Era and Mythos Cycle fiction.
              * Truly flexible mook rules that can be used for everything from nameless
              servants of eldritch gods to riding horses and house cats (or any other
              incidental character).
              * A detailed look at the city of London, circa 1886 through a lense tinted
              by both eldritch evil and romantic adventure.
              * Easy integration with another, extremely popular, roleplaying game
              dedicated to exploring the nightmare worlds of the Unnameable mythos.
              * Cross-compatibility with Six-Sided Sagas, for those of you who want to
              inject some crawling chaos into your fantasy campaigns.
              Best of all, Unnameable will be 100% free for the taking (at the time of its
              initial release, anyhow)! Download Unnameable from Miscellaneous Debris on
              April 21st, and pit flashing blades against timeless evil in the safety of
              your own living room!

              [P.S. In the near future, I'll be looking for a few small pieces of artwork
              to spruce up the layout a bit. If you like drawing hideous, shapeless,
              creatures of unfathomable evil, daring Lords and Ladies, and don�t mind
              working for recognition alone; drop me an email here: jdrakeh@...
              - remove the �i� - it�s for the bots.]

              Unnameable and CURE are Trademarks of James D. Hargrove

              http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=183448

              ---------------

              The bit about "Easy integration with another, extremely popular, roleplaying
              game dedicated to exploring the nightmare worlds of the Unnameable mythos"
              sounds interesting, at least. Something to keep thos of us who liked Cthulhu
              by Gaslight happy?

            • Mark McFadden
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 5 12:26 AM
                Shane Ivey wrote:

                > So is the membership list something people want open for fellow list
                > members? Any strong opinions either way?

                *This* is just the sort of thing that calls for a poll.
                But first, it might be a good idea for everyone with an opinion to put
                it out there.

                Although I am generally of the opinion that everything should be open,
                I also realize that this isn't for everyone.

                Consider: if you want to respond to anyone that has posted to the
                list, you can respond to anyone that has posted to the list. Hell, you
                can even go to Yahoo! and see whatever they feel like revealing about
                themselves in a profile.
                What reason would you have for wanting to send a message to someone
                that has never said anything on the list? You either know them or you
                don't know them. If you don't know them, why do you want to talk to them
                offlist?
                OK, maybe it would be fun to send a message that only goes to lurkers,
                but I'm willing to forgo that dubious pleasure in the interest of privacy.

                So, I wouldn't mind if the member list was open to members, but I
                don't see the point - while simultaneously imagining many problems that
                could arise.

                Mark McFadden
              • The Man in Black
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 5 5:10 AM
                  On Apr 4, 2005 9:26 PM, Mark McFadden <lizardrex@...> wrote:
                  So, I wouldn't mind if the member list was open to members, but I
                  don't see the point - while simultaneously imagining many problems that
                  could arise.
                  People who do Instant Messaging can look through the members list to see
                  who's online and bug them. I do that periodically in the archive to add
                  people to my list.
                  The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
                  Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum
                • Marshall Gatten
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 6 11:24 AM
                    > So is the membership list something people want open for fellow list
                    > members? Any strong opinions either way?

                    Put me down for a VERY strong opinion: The subscriber list should NEVER
                    be made available to people other than the mods.

                    As it stands right now, an occasional spammer gets on the list and sends
                    us all a spam. And then Agent Nancy gives the the 9mm Retirement Plan by
                    killing their membership. It's a reactive way to avoid spammers, and
                    it's the best we have.

                    But, if the membership list was available, then the spammer would first
                    grab all our email addresses (knowing full well that they are going to
                    be shut out of the list) and THEN send the spam. Nancy goes and shoots
                    them in the head, but they return from the dead spamming us from outside
                    the list with their newly harvested address list. And then they sell
                    that list (since it contains a lot more than just the addresses they got
                    from us) to other spammers. Slowly, over a period of months or years,
                    our addresses are irretrievably disseminated to the world of spammers
                    out there and we all suffer for it.

                    I currently get well over 2000 spams every single day. It takes three
                    hours to download my emails every morning. My spam filter kills almost
                    all of them, but that's three hours every day that I lose - so people
                    who say spam's no big deal and they can alway hit the delete key only
                    say that because they haven't had their email address spread around to
                    enough spammers yet. The last thing I need is yet another source for
                    spammers to grab my email address from.

                    Anybody who already voted to have it available to members, but who
                    hadn't thought of this problem, and now wishes they had voted the other
                    way - remember that you can go back to the poll and change your vote.

                    Marshall
                  • Duran Goodyear
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 6 12:11 PM
                      Marshall Gatten said everything I can say on the matter as well.

                      I've had my (now shut down) email addresses publicly displayed on mailing
                      lists I've been on, and seen my spam count go through the roof.

                      Thank you.

                      _____

                      > So is the membership list something people want open for fellow list
                      > members? Any strong opinions either way?

                      Put me down for a VERY strong opinion: The subscriber list should NEVER
                      be made available to people other than the mods.

                      .snip.

                      Marshall

                      The Delta Green Mailing List:

                      _____

                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Shane Ivey
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 6 2:45 PM
                        FWIW, I believe Yahoo's membership lists display only your Yahoo name,
                        not your email address.

                        (That's not to advocate one way or the other; I'm mostly neutral on
                        the matter with a slight leaning toward keeping the rolls secret the
                        way I set them up originally.)

                        On Apr 6, 2005 2:11 PM, Duran Goodyear <duran@...> wrote:

                        > Marshall Gatten said everything I can say on the matter as well.
                        >
                        > I've had my (now shut down) email addresses publicly displayed on mailing
                        > lists I've been on, and seen my spam count go through the roof.

                      • Christopher Smith Adair
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 6 3:19 PM
                          You are correct, Shane, they only display the ID, as well as the
                          first portion of an e-mail address (so mine appears as x-opher@).

                          I'm on 12 Yahoo groups; all but this one have member lists
                          available, and after a few years, I haven't experienced any
                          problems, (except when a spammer gets on and sends to the list
                          itself).

                          Christopher Smith Adair