Re: [dglist] DGWiki

  • tomcusworth@aol.com
    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 1 1:49 AM
      EHuelshoff@... writes:

      Thanks! That's nice.

      Eckhard

      It's all part of the service.
      -Tom

      "Blessed are the cheapskates, for they shall see God & still have change of
      a fiver".

      http://www.geocities.com/spinward1093/

    • Bill Waters
      Message 2 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
        After a few months of taking care of the Real World, I went back to
        look at the DGWiki
        (http://dgwiki.joncapps.net/index.php?title=Main_Page) to find that
        not much had changed since I'd left. A few new pages here and there,
        a little bit of spam and a few more views. That's about it.

        I was wondering who on this list has actually looked at the DGWiki,
        and what opinions they had regarding it. When was the last time you
        were there? Are there things that could be added to make it more
        useful or appealing? Things that should be done away with? Or is it
        just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?

        Fishing for opinions,

        Bill
      • Jeff Campbell
        Message 3 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
          I like it, I think it is a great resource. My current game isn't
          modern, so I haven't used it much.

          I think we should expand it to the Call of Cthulhu community in
          general; the ability to hyperlink between the different versions and
          events would both expand the number of people adding entries (which
          seems to work in a critical mass way), and it would add deep context to
          the Delta Green entries.

          Jeff.

          On Aug 13, 2005, at 8:32 AM, Bill Waters wrote:

          > After a few months of taking care of the Real World, I went back to
          > look at the DGWiki
          > (http://dgwiki.joncapps.net/index.php?title=Main_Page) to find that
          > not much had changed since I'd left. A few new pages here and there,
          > a little bit of spam and a few more views. That's about it.
          >
          > I was wondering who on this list has actually looked at the DGWiki,
          > and what opinions they had regarding it. When was the last time you
          > were there? Are there things that could be added to make it more
          > useful or appealing? Things that should be done away with? Or is it
          > just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?
          >
          > Fishing for opinions,
          >
          > Bill
          >

          > The Delta Green Mailing List:
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ross Payton
          Message 4 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
            I've read quite a bit of it, especially the tcho tcho related topics.
            Neat stuff. Has most of the ICE CAVE material been converted to the
            wiki by now?

          • Bomias1@aol.com
            Message 5 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
              In a message dated 8/13/2005 11:32:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
              kragarsdad@... writes:

              > I was wondering who on this list has actually looked at the DGWiki,
              > and what opinions they had regarding it. When was the last time you
              > were there? Are there things that could be added to make it more
              > useful or appealing? Things that should be done away with? Or is it
              > just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?
              >
              > Fishing for opinions,

              I loved it. It was much better than CATS. I want to look at it again
              and again.

              The Thug Whisperer

              "Back off man. I'm a scientist."
              ----- Peter Venkman

            • Russell Rayburn
              Message 6 of 27 , Aug 13, 2005
                like it a lot. planing on adding an entry for Xians, but finding the
                time has been difficult. Damn real world intruding.

                On 8/13/05, Bill Waters <kragarsdad@...> wrote:

                > After a few months of taking care of the Real World, I went back to
                > look at the DGWiki
                > (http://dgwiki.joncapps.net/index.php?title=Main_Page) to find that
                > not much had changed since I'd left. A few new pages here and there,
                > a little bit of spam and a few more views. That's about it.
                >
                > I was wondering who on this list has actually looked at the DGWiki,
                > and what opinions they had regarding it. When was the last time you
                > were there? Are there things that could be added to make it more
                > useful or appealing? Things that should be done away with? Or is it
                > just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?
                >
                > Fishing for opinions,
                >
                > Bill

              • Bill Waters
                Message 7 of 27 , Aug 14, 2005
                  --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, Ross Payton <rpayton@g...> wrote:
                  > I've read quite a bit of it, especially the tcho tcho related topics.
                  > Neat stuff. Has most of the ICE CAVE material been converted to the
                  > wiki by now?

                  Yes and no. All of the material from the ICE CAVE is now at the
                  DGWiki, but a lot of it still needs to be reduced to readable
                  articles. There haven't been many people who have worked on it yet
                  (thanks to those who have, BTW), and there's a lot of material to work
                  with, and that doesn't include any new topics brought up on the list.
                  You people write a hell of a lot.

                  Bill
                • Bill Waters
                  Message 8 of 27 , Aug 14, 2005
                    --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, Jeff Campbell <cthulhu@s...> wrote:
                    > I like it, I think it is a great resource. My current game isn't
                    > modern, so I haven't used it much.
                    >
                    > I think we should expand it to the Call of Cthulhu community in
                    > general; the ability to hyperlink between the different versions and
                    > events would both expand the number of people adding entries (which
                    > seems to work in a critical mass way), and it would add deep context to
                    > the Delta Green entries.

                    I remember seeing a link posted on Yog-sothoth.com a little while
                    back, and the reaction was pretty lukewarm. It is still a work in
                    progress, especially compared to a lot of sites out there. I think if
                    it is cleaned up a bit before inviting everyone in, we'll get more
                    people willing to get involved.

                    Can anyone point out anything in particular that was memorable? It
                    would be nice to know what strengths we have to build around.

                    Bill
                  • Agent Donald
                    Message 9 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                      From: "Bill Waters" <kragarsdad@...>
                      > I was wondering who on this list has actually looked at the DGWiki,
                      > and what opinions they had regarding it. When was the last time you
                      > were there? Are there things that could be added to make it more
                      > useful or appealing? Things that should be done away with? Or is it
                      > just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?

                      I like the Wiki and I think it is a great initiative. I go to the Wiki once
                      or twice a month when I see in my rss-reader that new stuff has been posted.

                      Like I mentioned when the idea of a DG Wiki was first mentioned on this
                      list, these initiatives always seem like a good idea and many people say
                      that they want to contribute but in practice you end up doing it yourself.

                      Agent Donald

                      You are invited for a night at the opera
                      http://www.semper-vigilus.tk
                    • tomcusworth@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                        agent_donald@... writes:

                        Like I mentioned when the idea of a DG Wiki was first mentioned on this
                        list, these initiatives always seem like a good idea and many people say
                        that they want to contribute but in practice you end up doing it yourself.

                        I've certainly found that with the Blue Planet Wiki. It was mentioned on the
                        BP list, but has ended up having a solid core of three people contributing
                        and constructing it, (not that I mind too much, it's a great background to
                        write for), but it does make for a slow growing resource.
                        -Tom

                        "Blessed are the cheapskates, for they shall see God & still have change of
                        a fiver".

                        http://www.geocities.com/spinward1093/

                      • Davide Mana
                        Message 11 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                          Greetings.

                          >Like I mentioned when the idea of a DG Wiki was first mentioned on this
                          >list, these initiatives always seem like a good idea and many people say
                          >that they want to contribute but in practice you end up doing it yourself.

                          I can confirm that it's the way most projects end up.
                          Working on the Ice Cave was fun but pretty time-consuming - and you
                          can't just force people to contribute.

                          Wikis make things easier, but content just does not grow on trees.

                          >I've certainly found that with the Blue Planet Wiki. It was mentioned on the
                          >BP list, but has ended up having a solid core of three people contributing
                          >and constructing it, (not that I mind too much, it's a great background to
                          >write for), but it does make for a slow growing resource.

                          One never stops learning - I did not know about the Blue Planet Wiki.
                          Considering that Blue Planet is the single setting that strikes the
                          coldest fear in the hearts of my players (more, much more than Cthulhu),
                          I'll look it up most certainly.
                          It's a great setting, and I'd like to get back to it one of these nights.

                          Cheers!

                          Davide Mana
                          Torino, Italy
                        • Bill Waters
                          Message 12 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                            --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, Davide Mana <davide.mana@v...> wrote:
                            > Greetings.
                            >
                            > >Like I mentioned when the idea of a DG Wiki was first mentioned on
                            this
                            > >list, these initiatives always seem like a good idea and many
                            people say
                            > >that they want to contribute but in practice you end up doing it
                            yourself.

                            I knew that going in. If you look at the list of contributions,
                            you'll find one user name with more entries than any other. I think
                            of that as a fact, not a complaint.

                            > I can confirm that it's the way most projects end up.
                            > Working on the Ice Cave was fun but pretty time-consuming - and you
                            > can't just force people to contribute.
                            >
                            > Wikis make things easier, but content just does not grow on trees.

                            Yes, you would know. Praise is one thing. Help is another.

                            The one thing that I've noticed about projects like this is that the
                            more gets done, the more people are willing to contribute.
                          • tomcusworth@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                              davide.mana@... writes:

                              >One never stops learning - I did not know about the Blue Planet Wiki.
                              >Considering that Blue Planet is the single setting that strikes the
                              >coldest fear in the hearts of my players (more, much more than Cthulhu),
                              >I'll look it up most certainly.
                              >It's a great setting, and I'd like to get back to it one of these nights.

                              Davide,
                              I should have included the URL in the first message. For those who are
                              interested, see here:
                              _http://beachhead.dhs.org/~peter/bpwiki/index.php/Main_Page_
                              (http://beachhead.dhs.org/~peter/bpwiki/index.php/Main_Page)

                              Just a little bit of promotion of the site, (I hope no one on the DGlist
                              minds too much - it's a once only deal!), which has some good material, but is
                              still in it's early stages. Please create an account if you intend to
                              contribute, it'll give you credit for your work!
                              Enjoy
                              -Tom

                              "Blessed are the cheapskates, for they shall see God & still have change of
                              a fiver".

                              http://www.geocities.com/spinward1093/

                            • ptender
                              Message 14 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                                > Or is it just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?

                                I like the idea and initiative. I wish I had time to contribute. However,
                                I'm barely have time to read it these days. I hope this hectic phase ends
                                this year... Anyway, it's a good thing I hope it survives.

                                té mais
                              • James Knevitt
                                Message 15 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                                  > > Or is it just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?
                                  >
                                  > I like the idea and initiative. I wish I had time to contribute.

                                  I've made my contribution (The Starkweather Foundation), but I too
                                  wish I had more time for it.

                                  --
                                  James Knevitt
                                  jknevitt@...

                                  You're on the Global Frequency.
                                  http://www.frequencysite.com
                                • Marshall Gatten
                                  Message 16 of 27 , Aug 15, 2005
                                    It's quite cool. I've added a few small things here and there, but I
                                    haven't had time to dive into it much. I agree with Jeff that expanding
                                    it to all CoC will help it reach a critical mass where enough people
                                    find it useful that a larger group will contribute and start that cycle
                                    of CoC goodness.

                                    Marshall
                                  • Mark Boyle
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Aug 16, 2005

                                      You weren't once raped by Mr. Mephistopheles were you? :P

                                      Meeping and glibbering,
                                      Mark Boyle

                                      Disclaimer
                                      This email is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual
                                      to whom it is addressed. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of
                                      the author and do not necessarily represent those of A.F. Blakemore and Son
                                      Limited. If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
                                      received this email in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
                                      printing or copying of this email is strictly prohibited. If you have
                                      received this email in error please notify the email administrator at A.F.
                                      Blakemore and Son Limited, Long Acres Industrial Estate, Rose Hill,
                                      Willenhall, West Midlands. WV13 2JP (mailto:postmaster@...)
                                    • David King
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Aug 16, 2005
                                        --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Waters" <kragarsdad@y...> wrote:

                                        > After a few months of taking care of the Real World, I went back to
                                        > look at the DGWiki
                                        > (http://dgwiki.joncapps.net/index.php?title=Main_Page) to find that
                                        > not much had changed since I'd left. A few new pages here and there,
                                        > a little bit of spam and a few more views. That's about it.
                                        >
                                        > I was wondering who on this list has actually looked at the DGWiki,
                                        > and what opinions they had regarding it. When was the last time you
                                        > were there? Are there things that could be added to make it more
                                        > useful or appealing? Things that should be done away with? Or is it
                                        > just another great idea that's headed for the scrap heap?
                                        >
                                        > Fishing for opinions,
                                        >
                                        > Bill

                                        As a relative newbe (only got the CORE DG this year) I'm afraid I have
                                        little to add but the DGWiki has aided me greatly in my study and
                                        understanding of things Delta Green. Don't forget this aspect of the
                                        Wiki. If no one ever reads it, it is just a collection of useless
                                        info.
                                        david
                                      • Bomias1@aol.com
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Aug 16, 2005
                                          In a message dated 8/16/2005 7:47:50 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                                          mboyle@... writes:

                                          > You weren't once raped by Mr. Mephistopheles were you? :P

                                          Nope. But apparently I was hypnotised by Jon Lovits.

                                          The Thug Whisperer

                                          "Back off man. I'm a scientist."
                                          ----- Peter Venkman