Take Out Innsmouth Deep Ones....from Kingsport

  • Tom Lynch
    Message 1 of 18 , Jul 2, 2012
      In other words, extreme long-range tactical removal of hostiles:
      http://loadoutroom.com/3210/14-9mm-sop-extra-long-range-rifle/

      Text from the link above:
      The 14.9mm SOP is an incredible extra long range rifle project that a number of people at Snipers Hide have been collaborating on. The huge rifle fires a very long and heavy projectile with a high ballistic coefficient giving it extreme accuracy. It has 0.5 MOA accuracy at 3000 yards and remains supersonic out to 5400 yards (5 kilometers).

      The 14.9mm SOP cartridge case is formed from a 20mm Vulcan case. The 1,690 grain projectile leaves the muzzle at 3,350 fps with 42,104 ft/lbs of energy (that is not a typo!). This is almost twice the muzzle energy of the 14.5×114mm Russian and 14.5mm JDJ. It has more kinetic energy at the muzzle than a 20mm Vulcan, and far more kinetic energy downrange, although the Vulcan is carrying an explosive payload (chemical energy).

      So now I know what I hope to find in the next Green Box I come across....
    • Russell Rayburn
      Message 2 of 18 , Jul 2, 2012
        On one hand it's a custom rifle and round. Easily traceable, costly
        to manufacture and seems to require native bearers to get into
        position.

        On the other hand, I want to shoot it SO GODS DAMNED BAD.

        --
        ^(;,;)^
      • Pete
        Message 3 of 18 , Jul 3, 2012
          On 3 July 2012 04:59, Russell Rayburn <rusrayburn@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > On one hand it's a custom rifle and round. Easily traceable, costly
          > to manufacture and seems to require native bearers to get into
          > position.
          >
          > On the other hand, I want to shoot it SO GODS DAMNED BAD.
          >
          > --
          > ^(;,;)^
          > __._,_.__

          You and me both! To quote the fine folks at Penny Arcade:

          "It leaves an exit-wound the size of a basketball... *court.*"

          --
          LoneKharnivore

          Proud Supporter of the End Times!

        • Giles Hill
          Message 4 of 18 , Jul 3, 2012
            Its far in excess of anything you'd need to take down anything which might actually be vulnerable to it.

            Its less manoeuvrable than any of those other options.

            Its gonna be really hard to be covert when using it and that's important because unless you're really lucky and the OP is going down in Montana the terrain not the guns capability is going to dictate the range of the engagement.

            At the extreme ranges which might make it worthwhile you are going to need a really, really good shooter who is ideally shooting at something which is prepared to stand still while you do it.

            Its a gun for Munchkins.

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 18 , Jul 3, 2012
              --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, Giles Hill <Giles_Hill@...> wrote:

              > Its a gun for Munchkins.

              I respectfully disagree, Giles. Those little bastards are fast moving and tend to utilize the cover of their technicolor housing effectively. I recommend a mix of shotguns, machine pistols, IR equipped snipers, and a few flying monkeys to pick off runners.
            • martin.helsdon
              Message 6 of 18 , Jul 3, 2012
                'No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found.'

                http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/mermaids.html
              • The Doctor
                Message 7 of 18 , Jul 3, 2012
                  On 07/03/2012 12:20 PM, martin.helsdon wrote:
                  > 'No evidence of aquatic humanoids has ever been found.'
                  > http://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/mermaids.html

                  I want to see mugshots of whomever wrote that.

                  --
                  The Doctor [412/724/301/703] [ZS]

                  PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
                  WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

                  "This next test is impossible." --GLaDOS
                • Russell Rayburn
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                    On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 5:06 AM, Giles Hill <Giles_Hill@...> wrote:
                    > Its far in excess of anything you'd need to take down anything which might actually be vulnerable to it.

                    Maxim 37:
                    There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

                    --
                    ^(;,;)^
                  • Giles Hill
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                      Maxim 36: If its immune to .338 Lapua thats all you need to know.

                      Maxim 38: Bigger rounds do not make certain mythos critters any less immune to firearms.

                      ________________________________

                        > Maxim 36: If its immune to .338 Lapua thats all you need to know.
                        >
                        > Maxim 38: Bigger rounds do not make certain mythos critters any less immune to firearms.

                        Maxim 6. If violence wasn’t your last resort, you failed to resort to
                        enough of it.

                        --
                        ^(;,;)^
                      • Jesper Anderson
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                          On Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 4:55 PM, Giles Hill <Giles_Hill@...> wrote:

                          > Maxim 36: If its immune to .338 Lapua thats all you need to know.

                          Actually Maxim 36 is: when the going gets tough, the tough call for
                          close air support.

                          > Maxim 38: Bigger rounds do not make certain mythos critters any less immune to firearms.

                          Maxim 38 is: just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be
                          hard on your clients.

                          We need to distribute more copies of the Seven Habits.

                          Jesper

                          --
                          I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the
                          invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                            Actually, when the going gets tough, the tough call arty its generally quicker getting rounds on target.

                            Your Maxim 38 and my maxim 38 are not mutually exclusive and but would rather depend on who your clients are. Last time my players found their personal protection couldn't deal with the critter, they didn't look for bigger guns they started planning how to drop a mountain on it.

                            ________________________________

                              > Actually, when the going gets tough, the tough call arty its generally quicker getting rounds on target.

                              Maxim 20: If you're not willing to shell your own position, you're not
                              willing to win.

                              > Your Maxim 38 and my maxim 38 are not mutually exclusive and but would rather depend on who your clients are.

                              Maxim 34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.

                              > Last time my players found their personal protection couldn't deal with the critter, they didn't look for bigger guns they started planning how to drop a mountain on it.

                              That's maxim 36.

                              Jesper

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                Unless you think a number of badly wired up 25Kg bags of ANFO equate to a 500lb JDAM then I don't think it equates to your Maxim 36. Although, it is either version of maxim 38.

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                  Link to the Maxims please!

                                  DM

                                  --
                                  OOC
                                  Masq-Status 7

                                  David March
                                  CA200409006

                                  “The thing I like about history is they are always making more of it, and
                                  none of it is trademarked.” Me
                                • Russell Rayburn
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012

                                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schlock_Mercenary#The_Seventy_Maxims_of_Maximally_Effective_Mercenaries

                                    --
                                    ^(;,;)^
                                  • David March
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jul 6, 2012
                                      They forgot

                                      "Never be first, last or volunteer for anything"

                                      And

                                      "Friendly fire is the only thing more accurate than enemy fire."

                                      DM

                                      --
                                      OOC
                                      Masq-Status 7
                                      Requiem-Carthian 4

                                      David March
                                      CA200409006

                                      �The thing I like about history is they are always making more of it, and
                                      none of it is trademarked.� Me

                                    • that will be revealed on a need-to-know b
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jul 7, 2012
                                        --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, Giles Hill <Giles_Hill@...> wrote:

                                        > Unless you think a number of badly wired up 25Kg bags of ANFO equate to a 500lb JDAM then I don't think it equates to your Maxim 36. Although, it is either version of maxim 38.

                                        <delurk>
                                        For a sufficiently large number, why wouldn't it?
                                        </delurk>