Re: How is the new rules set coming?

  • nebelwerfer210cm
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 6 8:41 AM
      I recently stumbled upon Morten Greis' blog, in which he frequently discusses DG. He has some interesting add-on rules for his campaign to make it more friendly to a long-running arc. Some draw heavily from recent "indie" mechanics, allowing PCs more control over the game (not a big fan of that, and they look like they would require a lot of bookkeeping). One that I like is the ability to pool "agent points" to draw on contacts and get equipment. Feels similar to creating a covenant in Ars Magica.

      http://mortengreis.wordpress.com/page/2/?cat=1388811

      -Jason Fritz
    • The Doctor
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 6 10:11 AM
        On 04/06/2012 11:41 AM, nebelwerfer210cm wrote:

        > of bookkeeping). One that I like is the ability to pool "agent points"
        > to draw on contacts and get equipment. Feels similar to creating a
        > covenant in Ars Magica.

        Or using agents' resource points to kit out a cell's facility in
        _Conspiracy-X_.

        --
        The Doctor [412/724/301/703]

        PGP: 0x807B17C1 / 7960 1CDC 85C9 0B63 8D9F DD89 3BD8 FF2B 807B 17C1
        WWW: https://drwho.virtadpt.net/

        "Don't shoot! They're the Misfits of Science!"
      • The Man in Black
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 6 12:30 PM
          On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM, nebelwerfer210cm
          <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:

          > Is this an acceptable forum for discussion the development of the new
          > rules? Any estimated street date yet?
          >
          > If Shane or anyone is accepting suggestions, one thing I would like to see

          I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference. I
          don't see how any roleplaying game can operate without at least ten
          pages of Anal Circumference rules. I hope the brain trust at Delta
          Green takes their Anal Circumference seriously and treats this
          important matter with the respect it deserves. Anal Circumferences for
          all major mythos entities should be included as well as rules for
          increasing or decreasing Anal Circumference for Agents and Friendlies.

          The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
          Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum
          Negotium perambulans in tenebris
        • James Knevitt
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 6 12:31 PM
            From what I hear, it's more like *twenty* pages.

            But maybe I've said too much.

            On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:30 PM, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM, nebelwerfer210cm
            > <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Is this an acceptable forum for discussion the development of the new
            > > rules? Any estimated street date yet?
            > >
            > > If Shane or anyone is accepting suggestions, one thing I would like to
            > see
            >
            > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference. I
            > don't see how any roleplaying game can operate without at least ten
            > pages of Anal Circumference rules. I hope the brain trust at Delta
            > Green takes their Anal Circumference seriously and treats this
            > important matter with the respect it deserves. Anal Circumferences for
            > all major mythos entities should be included as well as rules for
            > increasing or decreasing Anal Circumference for Agents and Friendlies.
            >
            > The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
            > Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum
            > Negotium perambulans in tenebris

            --
            James Knevitt
            jknevitt@...

            Today things move so fast, if you think you're living in the future, you're
            living in the past.

          • Davide Ferrari
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 6 12:36 PM
              The MiB is right!! Can we have a table for that? And one too for Enlarged
              penos pils in Dreamlands!

              sent from Samsung ACE - Dadde

              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 6 1:51 PM
                MiB, with no respect implied, I hope you die in a fire while your loved ones watch. The amount of rudeness I've recieved from you in the past three times I have posted to this list is beyond par.

                -Jason Fritz

                --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...> wrote:

                > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM, nebelwerfer210cm
                > <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:
                > >

                > > Is this an acceptable forum for discussion the development of the new
                > > rules? Any estimated street date yet?
                > >
                > > If Shane or anyone is accepting suggestions, one thing I would like to see
                >
                > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference. I
                > don't see how any roleplaying game can operate without at least ten
                > pages of Anal Circumference rules. I hope the brain trust at Delta
                > Green takes their Anal Circumference seriously and treats this
                > important matter with the respect it deserves. Anal Circumferences for
                > all major mythos entities should be included as well as rules for
                > increasing or decreasing Anal Circumference for Agents and Friendlies.
                >
                > The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
                > Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum

              • ialdaloboth genzundheit
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 6 1:54 PM
                  Jason, I hate to tell you this, but that means you made it into the club :) The MIB only flames the worthy

                  As for anal circumference rules... MIB, are you referencing the Game That Must Not Be Named?

                  > To: dglist@yahoogroups.com
                  > From: nebelwerfer41@...
                  > Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 20:51:33 +0000
                  > Subject: [dglist] Re: How is the new rules set coming?
                  >
                  > MiB, with no respect implied, I hope you die in a fire while your loved ones watch. The amount of rudeness I've recieved from you in the past three times I have posted to this list is beyond par.
                  >
                  > -Jason Fritz
                  >
                  > --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 7:08 AM, nebelwerfer210cm
                  > > <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Is this an acceptable forum for discussion the development of the new
                  > > > rules? Any estimated street date yet?
                  > > >
                  > > > If Shane or anyone is accepting suggestions, one thing I would like to see
                  > >
                  > > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference. I
                  > > don't see how any roleplaying game can operate without at least ten
                  > > pages of Anal Circumference rules. I hope the brain trust at Delta
                  > > Green takes their Anal Circumference seriously and treats this
                  > > important matter with the respect it deserves. Anal Circumferences for
                  > > all major mythos entities should be included as well as rules for
                  > > increasing or decreasing Anal Circumference for Agents and Friendlies.
                  > >
                  > > The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
                  > > Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum

                • Ross Payton
                  Message 8 of 28 , Apr 6 2:03 PM
                    Yes. Yes he is.

                    (WHY DO I KNOW THAT WITHOUT HAVING TO LOOK AT THE DAMNED THING)

                    On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 3:54 PM, ialdaloboth genzundheit <
                    ialdaloboth@...> wrote:

                    > Jason, I hate to tell you this, but that means you made it into the club
                    > :) The MIB only flames the worthy
                    >
                    > As for anal circumference rules... MIB, are you referencing the Game That
                    > Must Not Be Named?

                    > > To: dglist@yahoogroups.com
                    > > From: nebelwerfer41@...
                    > > Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 20:51:33 +0000
                    > > Subject: [dglist] Re: How is the new rules set coming?
                    > >
                    > > MiB, with no respect implied, I hope you die in a fire while your loved
                    > ones watch. The amount of rudeness I've recieved from you in the past
                    > three times I have posted to this list is beyond par.
                    > >
                    > > -Jason Fritz
                    > >
                    > > --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...> wrote:

                    > to see
                    > > >
                    > > > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference. I
                    > > > don't see how any roleplaying game can operate without at least ten
                    > > > pages of Anal Circumference rules. I hope the brain trust at Delta
                    > > > Green takes their Anal Circumference seriously and treats this
                    > > > important matter with the respect it deserves. Anal Circumferences for
                    > > > all major mythos entities should be included as well as rules for
                    > > > increasing or decreasing Anal Circumference for Agents and Friendlies.
                    > > >
                    > > > The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
                    > > > Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum

                    Ross Payton
                    Zombies of the World - a field guide to the undead
                    http://www.zombiesoftheworld.com/the-book/<http://www.zombiesoftheworld.com/>
                    Role Playing Public Radio -
                    http://slangdesign.com/rppr/<http://www.zombiesoftheworld.com>

                  • The Man in Black
                    Message 9 of 28 , Apr 6 2:22 PM
                      On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM, nebelwerfer210cm
                      <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:

                      > MiB, with no respect implied, I hope you die in a fire while your loved
                      > ones watch. The amount of rudeness I've recieved from you in the past three
                      > times I have posted to this list is beyond par.

                      Oh did you think I noticed you? I didn't. Until now. The amount of
                      rudeness you've received from me before now has been nothing more than
                      your deluded self-absorbed imagination. And wishing death to people
                      and suffering for their alleged loved ones? For funny things they've
                      posted to the internet? I would say that violates a lot more terms of
                      service than I ever did. And DID I EVER VIOLATE THOSE TERMS AND THOSE
                      SERVICES. Beyond par? I haven't even started swinging yet. In your
                      first opening shot, you provided enough ammunition to be kicked off of
                      this mailing list, yahoo groups, and your internet service provider.
                      It is even possible to call Law Enforcement to report a possible death
                      threat.

                      You are a horrible person Jason Fritz. But so am I, but at least I
                      attempt to be funny and smart about it.

                      Message 10 of 28 , Apr 6 4:08 PM
                        I forgot the first rule of the internet, don't feed the trolls.

                        My comment stands. The mods can remove me if they want, but people providing constructive feedback shouldn't be mocked and insulted.

                        -Jason Fritz

                        --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...> wrote:

                        > On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 10:51 AM, nebelwerfer210cm
                        > <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:
                        > >

                        > > MiB, with no respect implied, I hope you die in a fire while your loved
                        > > ones watch. The amount of rudeness I've recieved from you in the past three
                        > > times I have posted to this list is beyond par.
                        > >

                        > Oh did you think I noticed you? I didn't. Until now. The amount of
                        > rudeness you've received from me before now has been nothing more than
                        > your deluded self-absorbed imagination. And wishing death to people
                        > and suffering for their alleged loved ones? For funny things they've
                        > posted to the internet? I would say that violates a lot more terms of
                        > service than I ever did. And DID I EVER VIOLATE THOSE TERMS AND THOSE
                        > SERVICES. Beyond par? I haven't even started swinging yet. In your
                        > first opening shot, you provided enough ammunition to be kicked off of
                        > this mailing list, yahoo groups, and your internet service provider.
                        > It is even possible to call Law Enforcement to report a possible death
                        > threat.
                        >
                        > You are a horrible person Jason Fritz. But so am I, but at least I
                        > attempt to be funny and smart about it.
                        >
                        > The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
                        > Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum
                        > Negotium perambulans in tenebris

                      • Jesper Anderson
                        Message 11 of 28 , Apr 6 4:12 PM
                          They should if they don't read the FAQ.

                          Jesper

                          On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 01:08, nebelwerfer210cm <nebelwerfer41@...> wrote:
                          > I forgot the first rule of the internet, don't feed the trolls.
                          >
                          > My comment stands.  The mods can remove me if they want, but people providing constructive feedback shouldn't be mocked and insulted.
                          >
                          > -Jason Fritz
                        • Shane Ivey
                          Message 12 of 28 , Apr 6 4:33 PM

                            > My comment stands. The mods can remove me if they want, but people
                            > providing constructive feedback shouldn't be mocked and insulted.

                            Relax. The MIB says crazy shit, but it's just in fun. I probably should put
                            that in the list summary or something if it's not there already.

                            --
                            *Shane Ivey, Arc Dream Publishing*
                            Cthulhu Mythos gaming, every quarter:

                          • nebelwerfer210cm
                            Message 13 of 28 , Apr 6 5:08 PM
                              Understood. Getting back on track, as The Doctor suggested, I hear that Conspiracy X does some good things with creating clandestine cells, but I've never had a chance to read it.

                              Needless to say, I've been very excited about the next iteration of Delta Green since it was mentioned last year at GenCon.

                              -Jason Fritz

                              --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, Shane Ivey <shane.ivey@...> wrote:

                              > > My comment stands. The mods can remove me if they want, but people
                              > > providing constructive feedback shouldn't be mocked and insulted.
                              > >

                              > Relax. The MIB says crazy shit, but it's just in fun. I probably should put
                              > that in the list summary or something if it's not there already.
                              >
                              > --
                              > *Shane Ivey, Arc Dream Publishing*
                              > Cthulhu Mythos gaming, every quarter:
                              > TheUnspeakableOath.com<http://www.theunspeakableoath.com/>
                              > Now on Kickstarter -- Call of Cthulhu in Lovecraft's Dreamlands:
                              > http://kck.st/GZJWUi

                            • Giles Hill
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 6 5:14 PM
                                Um, you weren't until you suggested the MIB die in a fire while his loved one watch.

                                Me, I read the MIB's post as a toungue in cheek post about rules, not as a grievous assault on the size of your ring.

                                Giles

                                ________________________________

                                Message 15 of 28 , Apr 6 5:26 PM

                                  > Understood. Getting back on track, as The Doctor suggested, I hear that
                                  > Conspiracy X does some good things with creating clandestine cells, but
                                  > I've never had a chance to read it.

                                  IIRC, the Aegis framework from ConX seems too generous and forgiving
                                  for DG, who do everything illegally and unofficially and have to spend as
                                  much time covering their tracks as saving the world.

                                  Something analogous may be useful for Blue Team campaigns, where you're
                                  playing members of the "legitimate" analog to DG -- but who have constant
                                  pressure to bring in the goods for study and monetization rather than just
                                  saving some civilian who'd probably die of diabetes in a few years anyway.

                                  --
                                  *Shane Ivey, Arc Dream Publishing*
                                  Cthulhu Mythos gaming, every quarter:
                                  TheUnspeakableOath.com<http://www.theunspeakableoath.com/>
                                  Now on Kickstarter -- Call of Cthulhu in Lovecraft's Dreamlands:
                                  http://kck.st/GZJWUi

                                • K.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Apr 6 5:38 PM
                                    On Apr 6, 2012, at 12:30 PM, The Man in Black wrote:

                                    > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference. I
                                    > don't see how any roleplaying game can operate without at least ten
                                    > pages of Anal Circumference rules. I hope the brain trust at Delta
                                    > Green takes their Anal Circumference seriously and treats this
                                    > important matter with the respect it deserves. Anal Circumferences for
                                    > all major mythos entities should be included as well as rules for
                                    > increasing or decreasing Anal Circumference for Agents and Friendlies.

                                    I think this is an excellent proposal. DG is sorely lacking in the *realism* that a certain other system could easily provide.

                                    What's more, it's in excellent alignment with the roots of DG's mythology, i.e. HPL's own world view. I've always been puzzled by CoC/DG materials, created by fans who claim to be deeply inspired by HPL, and are clearly familiar with RPG tropes -- and yet fail, again and again, to introduce game threats like the Potion of Blood Tainting, or the like. Seriously, why is there no published adventure with eldritch artifacts or evil sorcerers whose unspeakable powers turn the PC swarthy or slant-eyed? Or, using advanced Yithian technology, rewrite his genealogy so that one of his ancestors was black? Like, that's definitely a 1d100 SAN check, right?

                                    The lack of fidelity to our literary sources simply disgusts me. DG could learn a lot from Federal Armed Tactics Always Lubricate.

                                    K.
                                  • ialdaloboth genzundheit
                                    Message 17 of 28 , Apr 6 6:49 PM
                                      > > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference.

                                      Larping eventually leads to yiffing, so...

                                      > I think this is an excellent proposal. DG is sorely lacking in the *realism* that a certain other system could easily provide.
                                      >
                                      > Seriously, why is there no published adventure with eldritch artifacts or evil sorcerers whose unspeakable powers turn the PC swarthy or slant-eyed? Or, using advanced Yithian technology, rewrite his genealogy so that one of his ancestors was black? Like, that's definitely a 1d100 SAN check, right?

                                      Well, you know...

                                      You could do SOMETHING like that. Take the Altered States model. You go back far enough In Search Of and turn into a monkey man, and then a dude in a bad, weird rubber suit pounding the walls.

                                      Maybe you could get whammied and dialed back a few evolutionary steps, making you a brutish servant/guard/sextoy for certain depraved types of sorcerers.

                                      Maybe you could get whammied and be dialed back a few thousand years, after than millions. Slowly turning back into a replica of your ancient ancestors, who do NOT look like hardy, yankee stock, but rather someone who came from Africa or Asia.

                                      If someone's a good, staunch New England upper class type, the latter would be a real san loser.

                                    • David March
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Apr 6 6:50 PM
                                        Im totally doing in some future game. "Hey what are you guys staring
                                        at?..."

                                        "Dude your Asian..."

                                        DM

                                        On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 9:49 PM, ialdaloboth genzundheit <
                                        ialdaloboth@...> wrote:

                                        > **
                                        >

                                        > > > I for one would like to see detailed rules for Anal Circumference.
                                        >
                                        > Larping eventually leads to yiffing, so...
                                        >

                                        > > I think this is an excellent proposal. DG is sorely lacking in the
                                        > *realism* that a certain other system could easily provide.
                                        > >
                                        > > Seriously, why is there no published adventure with eldritch artifacts
                                        > or evil sorcerers whose unspeakable powers turn the PC swarthy or
                                        > slant-eyed? Or, using advanced Yithian technology, rewrite his genealogy so
                                        > that one of his ancestors was black? Like, that's definitely a 1d100 SAN
                                        > check, right?
                                        >
                                        > Well, you know...
                                        >
                                        > You could do SOMETHING like that. Take the Altered States model. You go
                                        > back far enough In Search Of and turn into a monkey man, and then a dude in
                                        > a bad, weird rubber suit pounding the walls.
                                        >
                                        > Maybe you could get whammied and dialed back a few evolutionary steps,
                                        > making you a brutish servant/guard/sextoy for certain depraved types of
                                        > sorcerers.
                                        >
                                        > Maybe you could get whammied and be dialed back a few thousand years,
                                        > after than millions. Slowly turning back into a replica of your ancient
                                        > ancestors, who do NOT look like hardy, yankee stock, but rather someone who
                                        > came from Africa or Asia.
                                        >
                                        > If someone's a good, staunch New England upper class type, the latter
                                        > would be a real san loser.

                                        OOC
                                        Masq-Status 7
                                        Requiem-Carthian 4

                                        David March
                                        CA200409006

                                        �The thing I like about history is they are always making more of it, and
                                        none of it is trademarked.� Me

                                      • shannonrbell@gmail.com
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Apr 6 9:02 PM
                                          See the F.A.T.A.L. Rpg ... :). Big on anal circumference I hear.

                                          Sent from my iPad
                                        • Simon Brake
                                          Message 20 of 28 , Apr 6 11:32 PM
                                            I have to say, I agree. It was quite a harsh comment, given the fact you apparently hadn't established any 'banter' previously.

                                            I think the actual first rule of the internet is don't take things personally unless, well, it's addressed to you. And even then take it with a pinch of salt. Calling a long long time contributor to the list a troll probably isn't the best way to make friends (nor, mind you, is bringing someone's family into an off the cuff comment).

                                            Back to the main subject of the thread I did actually laugh out loud at the whole AC thing checking my emails this morning. So thanks for that. :-)
                                          • Jesper Anderson
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Apr 7 12:43 AM
                                              On Sat, Apr 7, 2012 at 08:32, Simon Brake <psi.breaker@...> wrote:

                                              > Back to the main subject of the thread I did actually laugh out loud at the whole AC thing checking my emails this morning. So thanks for that. :-)

                                              It does give new meaning to the game stat "AC -10" ...

                                              Jesper

                                              --
                                              I will ignore all ideas for new works and engines of war, the
                                              invention of which has reached its limits and for whose improvement I
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Apr 8 11:51 AM
                                                9On Fri, Apr 6, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Shane Ivey <shane.ivey@...> wrote:

                                                > IIRC, the Aegis framework from ConX seems too generous and forgiving
                                                > for DG, who do everything illegally and unofficially and have to spend as
                                                > much time covering their tracks as saving the world.
                                                >
                                                > Something analogous may be useful for Blue Team campaigns, where you're
                                                > playing members of the "legitimate" analog to DG -- but who have constant
                                                > pressure to bring in the goods for study and monetization rather than just
                                                > saving some civilian who'd probably die of diabetes in a few years anyway.

                                                Every time the Investigators do something risky in my game, They take
                                                a security risk roll against their Operational Security or a relevant
                                                skill (Tradecraft etc). This is almost like a Sanity roll in that say,
                                                if I think you are visiting the Green Box too much, you might have a
                                                0/1d3 Security Risk, or if you're sneaking into the RECOIL lab where
                                                they keep the ORANGE Cookbook stem cells it's a 1/1d10. Also like a
                                                sanity roll, if you lose 5 or more points in a single roll, you get to
                                                deal with a temporary compromise of security (Your boss at the FBI
                                                audits your travel expenses), and if you lose 20% or more in a single
                                                roll you deal with indefinite compromise (NRO DELTA is now conducting
                                                surveillance on you and your associates). This represents the clues
                                                and evidence left behind by sloppy operational security. Operational
                                                Security starts at 99% and is reduced by 2 for each agent and reduced
                                                by 1 for each friendly. It is shared by all agents and friendlies in
                                                the cell, which means it deteriorates quite quickly. To raise your
                                                security risk, you need to roleplay it out. You can either take normal
                                                everyday actions (spending time with your family, pursuing contacts
                                                and professional relationships, etc). Or you can clean up your messes
                                                with covert or paranoid actions, which often entails additional risks
                                                to Operational Security. When Operational Security drops to 0%:
                                                OPERATION SHITSTORM ensues because now the entire Conspiracy is at
                                                risk and friendlies probably start disappearing. A-Cell is likely to
                                                cut the agents loose before this happens. Adding new personnel to the
                                                cell will probably (but not always) have the effect of adding their
                                                POW or maybe 1/2 their POW to the current Operational Security (max
                                                99% of course).

                                                I suppose it's also possible to have different security threats from
                                                different groups (Majestic-12 might be onto you for 60% while PISCES
                                                barely notices you at 3%). Or to have individual agents compromised in
                                                different ways (The FATE has his number at 13%). But I have not played
                                                with that level of bookkeeping. Feel free to make a list of what kinds
                                                of risks would entail what kinds of loss in points, because I really
                                                haven't.

                                                The Man in Black is : Kenneth Scroggins
                                                Novus Ordo Seclorum : Annuit Coeptus : E Pluribus Unum
                                                Negotium perambulans in tenebris
                                              • Leszek Karlik
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Apr 8 1:11 PM
                                                  On Sun, 08 Apr 2012 20:51:32 +0200, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...>
                                                  wrote:

                                                  [...]
                                                  > Every time the Investigators do something risky in my game, They take
                                                  > a security risk roll against their Operational Security or a relevant
                                                  > skill (Tradecraft etc). This is almost like a Sanity roll in that say,
                                                  > if I think you are visiting the Green Box too much, you might have a
                                                  > 0/1d3 Security Risk, or if you're sneaking into the RECOIL lab where
                                                  > they keep the ORANGE Cookbook stem cells it's a 1/1d10. Also like a
                                                  > sanity roll, if you lose 5 or more points in a single roll, you get to
                                                  > deal with a temporary compromise of security (Your boss at the FBI
                                                  > audits your travel expenses), and if you lose 20% or more in a single
                                                  > roll you deal with indefinite compromise (NRO DELTA is now conducting
                                                  > surveillance on you and your associates).

                                                  This is brilliant.

                                                  If I ever run anything remotely DG-like, I'm stealing it. :-)

                                                  --
                                                  Leszek 'Leslie' Karlik
                                                • Ricus
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Apr 9 12:38 PM
                                                    Very nice! I would love to see something like that in the new ruleset.

                                                    Sounds a bit like the “Friction Point” system from the old Commando supplement for the Top Secret RPG.

                                                    The Commando-supplement was more about Black Ops than spywork and was quite a bit grittier than the basic rules. When executing an Op your team gained Friction Points (FP) depending on how complicated plans they set up, how much they depended on advanced equipment, how vulnerable they were to single-point security failures etc etc. When enough FP had been gained something went wrong: the weather changed, an extraction team was late, a guard decided to make out with his sweetheart behind your safe house etc etc. Then the FP total was reduced by a certain amount.

                                                    This meant the players were encouraged to keep plans simple and stay the hell away from unnecessary complications. And since they had a general idea on how much FP was gained (usually dice-based) they could feel disaster close in on them, which gave an added dimension to play. Racing against time and FP-pool to finish the operation.

                                                    /JoB

                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Apr 9 4:53 PM
                                                      --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, The Man in Black <mib.zero@...> wrote:

                                                      > Every time the Investigators do something risky in my game, They take
                                                      > a security risk roll against their Operational Security or a relevant
                                                      > skill (Tradecraft etc). This is almost like a Sanity roll in that say,
                                                      > if I think you are visiting the Green Box too much, you might have a
                                                      > 0/1d3 Security Risk, or if you're sneaking into the RECOIL lab where
                                                      > they keep the ORANGE Cookbook stem cells it's a 1/1d10.

                                                      That is a really good idea. It keeps the players from dreaming up too many contacts (least they foul up their operations).

                                                      -Jason Fritz