Prototype crossover mini-campaign

  • Ross Payton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2009
      Running a mini DG campaign using the material from the video game Prototype.
      The wiki gives a lot of info if you aren't familiar with it already.
      http://prototype.wikia.com/wiki/Prototype_Wiki

      Here's the basic setup: The PCs are a crew for **Phenomenon-X who first
      investigated Hope Idaho but got caught up in a struggle between DG and
      MJ-12. MJ-12 is behind BLACKWATCH and the BLACKLIGHT virus. DG wants to the
      hte PCs as an expendable investigation team that will help a DG cell already
      in Manhattan. Their goal is to learn as much as possible about the virus.
      I'll base it as a open ended investigation - but as time goes on, more of
      the island becomes more infected and dangerous and the military becomes more
      brutal when dealing with civilians. The key to surviving though is finding
      an ally who will protect them against the hordes of infected monsters
      running around - most likely Alex Mercer. However, I will play Mercerer more
      like a mythos entity than anti-hero - he is a cold blooded killer who thinks
      nothing of consuming someone in order to learn what they know or just to
      regain health.

      So, anyone got any ideas for encounters/NPCs/etc? Also, how do you think the
      DG universe groups will react to Prototype? I am thinking of having the Fate
      evacuate while the ghouls dig deep to avoid the infected.

      --
      Ross Payton
      Raillery: A Comedy video podcast

    • Robert Lint
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
        Ross,

        More a bunch of questions at you then helpful comments, but I hope it gets some things cooking:

        1) It sounds like you are going to slow the infection rate to something a little more manageable than the rate in the game? If that's true, there wouldn't be any reason for the Fate to evacuate at all. They could have a

        2) "Video-Game-Alex" is amazingly flashy. Would it be more effective game wise to make him as powerful but more stealthy?
        Also, having Alex devour a literally just-killed PC solely to get his skills at fill-in-the-blank would be a great way to show him as a remorseless consuming entity.

        As far as an encounter, having played the game for hours and hours and finishing it twice <POTENTIAL SPOILER>

        From the vice-presidents speech, I get the feeling the media has been completely contained somehow. A nice encounter would be for some young zit-faced marines to come and attempt to seize the players camera equipment at gunpoint. Then Mercer arrives on the scene.

        Also, re-watch "Escape From New York" for inspiration about ways people would try and escape that the game couldn't portray - rafts, attempts to hold "important people" hostage, etc.

        -----
        Why is it so hard for a culture fundamentally married to consumption to realize that we are eaten at every step of the way as well?

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
          1. I think the Fate would recognize that the virus is Bad News and wouldn't
          want to be in a city swarming with military anyway - no way to conduct
          business with that much chaos. Also Alzis undoubtedly can see that the virus
          is is derived from protomatter and the city will probably get nuked.

          2. I'm thinking of Alex as a minor Great Old One in terms of power and views
          on humanity although much more naive since he is so new - he's on par with
          Dagon and similar entities in terms of hitting and durability although he
          has little understanding of what he is or the mythos in general. The PCs
          might try to reason with him but that may be more dangerous than dealing
          with black ops kill squads.

          3. That's a good point - more evacuation panic will really add to it.

        • Joe Crazyperson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 3, 2009
            Anyone familiar with the DMZ comicbook? I always was reminded of it during
            the Prototype game and I'm sure people could get ideas for how to run a
            truly military locked-down New York by reading the series. Also, I think you
            could tie back the "protomatter virus" to a genetic sample taken by the
            government from some GOO or other mythos entity - isn't there is a lesser
            god in the Maellus Monstrum who is just a virus factory similar to the woman
            from the game?