Re: regarding Ye Essential Saltes

  • jonasargham
    Message 1 of 21 , May 6, 2009
      > Tesla's ashes may not be complete (some material is lost in a normal
      > cremation so if steps weren't taken to prevent this during the incineration
      > the resurrected form won't be complete in body or mind), or may be
      > contaminated during or since cremation (again with variable results).

      I'm assuming it was a reputable crematorium with as complete as possible cremation process and as much ashes as possible. My question is, under perfect conditions, would the ashes be enough to create anything more than liveliest awfulness?

      > And then you require access to the procedure to render the essential salts
      > from the ashes, without losing or contaminating the material. The process is
      > obscure, with the instructions in some versions of the black books
      > incomplete or corrupted...

      We are dealing with experts in the process, Karotechia. So, if the ashes are usable, even hypothetically, then they will have the means to do it.

      > > Large portions of Teslas notes and plans are "missing" if
      > > someone wanted to build a, oh, I dont know, maybe a Death Ray, they
      > > might need to go to the source for such plans.
      >
      > There's no evidence that Tesla developed a working death ray; if there was,
      > MJ12 or some other government body would already have it.

      Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get it, right?

      > Before his death, several sources suggest that Tesla was suffering from
      > mental illness, so a resurrected Tesla would not be the genius of his prime.

      Oh, thats a given, the man was, from what i've read, batshit crazy before he died. and would be even more so upon resurrection given the 1d20 san loss for being resurrected.

      My idea is this. The players go to the museum, find the ashes gone, and enough evidence to lead them to nazis. they get to the nazis after tesla has been resurrected, now, Tesla is crazy as a loon, and inventing stuff randomly, some of it awesome, some of it dangerous, some of it just silly. The players, should they survive the nazis, are stuck with this tesla zombie that randomly builds things, some of which might very well save the world, but others that might kill the whole group.
      Moral Dilemma - continue suffering this abomination and royal pain the ass, for the potential eco saving abilities of his inventions, or do they put him down, because sometimes dead is better. But he is so nice, not violent or angry at all, just confused. child like even.
    • Robert Lint
      Message 2 of 21 , May 6, 2009
        Sadly, the person resurrecting "Tesla" would be saddened to discover that they'd gone through all that trouble just to bring back a U.S. Navy sailor whose body was reported lost at sea.

        After all, when the Alien Property Custodian seized all that and discovered that Tesla really did appear to be a "Venusian*" and the reasons for his lifelong celibacy became all too clear during the autopsy, well, they had to supply the ashes of something else.

        Maybe Tesla's badly mutated body is still preserved in formalin in some glass casket in the depths of the Ice Cave....

        *See: Tesla: Man Out Of TIme
        -----
        Why is it so hard for a culture fundamentally married to consumption to realize that we are eaten at every step of the way as well?

        ________________________________
        > If a person were cremated, yet all of the ashes were present and the
        > complete person were represented, would they be able to be resurrected? If
        > not why? If so, how? What is involved in the process of reducing to
        > essential salts and what can be done with cremated remains.

        Tesla's ashes may not be complete (some material is lost in a normal
        cremation so if steps weren't taken to prevent this during the incineration
        the resurrected form won't be complete in body or mind), or may be
        contaminated during or since cremation (again with variable results).

        And then you require access to the procedure to render the essential salts
        from the ashes, without losing or contaminating the material. The process is
        obscure, with the instructions in some versions of the black books
        incomplete or corrupted...

        > Large portions of Teslas notes and plans are "missing" if
        > someone wanted to build a, oh, I dont know, maybe a Death Ray, they
        > might need to go to the source for such plans.

        There's no evidence that Tesla developed a working death ray; if there was,
        MJ12 or some other government body would already have it.

        Before his death, several sources suggest that Tesla was suffering from
        mental illness, so a resurrected Tesla would not be the genius of his prime.

      • David Farnell
        Message 3 of 21 , May 6, 2009
          I would say that, of course it would work, if you (the Keeper) need it
          to work for your plot. Which, apparently, you do. But if some other
          Keeper needed it not to work, then it's easy to say that the process
          of cremation breaks down essential chemical bonds, rendering the
          creation of Ye Essential Saltes unworkable.

          But yeah, the chances of getting every last molecule of Tesla is
          highly unlikely. After all, a lot of him went out the chimney of the
          crematorium's oven. So whether he was crazy or not before he died,
          he's going to be totally nuts after resurrection. Then again, the
          spell description allows a lot of leeway for the individual GM's taste
          on exactly how it works.

          Also, plenty of foreign matter mixed in--wood from the pine box and
          such. And I do like the idea that a Shoggoth or some other monster is
          mixed in there with him...

          Dave
        • martin.helsdon
          Message 4 of 21 , May 6, 2009
            > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
            > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
            > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if
            > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get
            > it, right?

            It would have to be a fantasy device, because Tesla's 'real' death ray,
            described in his papers, used an electrostatic generator to accelerate
            particles of mercury to a high velocity in a vacuum before they were fired
            out of the tube. The design for allowing the small pieces of mercury to
            transit from a vacuum into the atmosphere (without affecting the vacuum)
            looks extremely unlikely to work, and even if it did, the particles wouldn't
            travel very far - certainly not the distances Tesla boasted of to shoot down
            aircraft. There is no evidence that he even built a prototype; the device
            seems to have been a figment of his failing mental condition.

            Sadly, although Tesla described the device firing particles, they weren't
            the sort usually associated with 'particle weapons', and Tesla wasn't
            interested in particle physics.

            > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
            > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
            > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if
            > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get
            > it, right?

            The OSS went through his papers because of his claims, and nothing practical
            was found. If it had been, WW2 would have proven an ideal venue for its use.
          • jonasargham
            Message 5 of 21 , May 6, 2009
              Actually, I'm thinking that the initial fear might be death ray, but Alphonse might implie that there are other, more dangerous, things potentially floating around in Teslas brain. The actual invention in question could be anything, a total macguffin which may never be explained or detailed. "death ray" is just a scary sounding idea, along the way, the group find out that the real death ray was unusable. yet still the nazis want his remains bad enough to steal them, and A cell says its important to stop anything from being built and destroy anything that is built. A glowing briefcase type of thing.

              --- In dglist@yahoogroups.com, "martin.helsdon" <martin.helsdon@...> wrote:

              > > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
              > > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
              > > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if
              > > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get
              > > it, right?
              >
              > It would have to be a fantasy device, because Tesla's 'real' death ray,
              > described in his papers, used an electrostatic generator to accelerate
              > particles of mercury to a high velocity in a vacuum before they were fired
              > out of the tube. The design for allowing the small pieces of mercury to
              > transit from a vacuum into the atmosphere (without affecting the vacuum)
              > looks extremely unlikely to work, and even if it did, the particles wouldn't
              > travel very far - certainly not the distances Tesla boasted of to shoot down
              > aircraft. There is no evidence that he even built a prototype; the device
              > seems to have been a figment of his failing mental condition.
              >
              > Sadly, although Tesla described the device firing particles, they weren't
              > the sort usually associated with 'particle weapons', and Tesla wasn't
              > interested in particle physics.
              >
              > > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
              > > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
              > > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if
              > > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get
              > > it, right?
              >
              > The OSS went through his papers because of his claims, and nothing practical
              > was found. If it had been, WW2 would have proven an ideal venue for its use.

            • Marshall Gatten
              Message 6 of 21 , May 6, 2009
                MH> It would have to be a fantasy device, because Tesla's 'real' death
                ray....

                Oh, gosh. And here I was thinking that the resurrection part (and the
                shoggoth bits mixed in, et al) were something other than fantasy. Too
                bad we can only use reality.

                Maybe he recognizes the shortcomings of his deathray and decides to
                overcome them by using bits of summoned Azazoth instead of mercury for
                the particles. Of course, he needs to summon Azazoth first so that he
                can shave off those bits....

                I love the thought of the pine box being part of the resurrected
                shoggoth/madman. I'm picturing a slightly-larger-than-human pine Ent
                with shoggoth sap for blood.

                And somebody has him locked up deep underground where they provide him
                with any materials he asks for. (Add in Jonas' idea of the monstrosity
                being a nice child-like guy who invents useful, useless, safe, and
                dangerous random things.)

                What they don't know is that there's a method to his madness. He's
                slowly accumulating the things he needs to escape.

              • martin.helsdon
                Message 7 of 21 , May 6, 2009
                  > MH> It would have to be a fantasy device, because Tesla's 'real' death
                  > ray....
                  >
                  > Oh, gosh. And here I was thinking that the resurrection part (and the
                  > shoggoth bits mixed in, et al) were something other than fantasy. Too
                  > bad we can only use reality.

                  That's the problem with using real people and 'real' inventions mixed with
                  fiction. Suspension of disbelief collapses...
                • Russell Rayburn
                  Message 8 of 21 , May 6, 2009
                    On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 1:59 AM, martin.helsdon <martin.helsdon@...> wrote:
                    >> MH> It would have to be a fantasy device, because Tesla's 'real' death
                    >> ray....
                    >>
                    >> Oh, gosh. And here I was thinking that the resurrection part (and the
                    >> shoggoth bits mixed in, et al) were something other than fantasy. Too
                    >> bad we can only use reality.
                    >
                    > That's the problem with using real people and 'real' inventions mixed with
                    > fiction. Suspension of disbelief collapses...

                    It's a tough balance to be sure and one dependent on your audience.

                    Gun nuts are famous for long discussions about which gun does what
                    damage at which range ( guilty! ). For that crowd, getting details
                    wrong ( like the infamous "you hear the hammer cocking back on the
                    glock" ) can really break the mood.

                    On the other hand, I've seen people who gloss over such details... yet
                    obsess about cars, boats, computers... seems like there's always
                    something. Even if it's detailed knowledge of Tesla's inventions and
                    theories.

                    Worse, of course, if they're the typical assburgers moron who presumes
                    they have perfect knowledge of everything. Kinda guy who makes you
                    glad razor blades and rubbing alcohol are legal just on the off chance
                    he'd gargle them.

                    Fortunately, most people aren't like that. They could accept that in
                    the DG verse the published theories of Tesla, for instance, are just
                    fakes for public consumption created by Edison to discredit his
                    rival... perhaps with a *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* from their Keeper.

                    --
                    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
                    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect
                    Message 9 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                      > Fortunately, most people aren't like that. They could accept that in
                      > the DG verse the published theories of Tesla, for instance, are just
                      > fakes for public consumption created by Edison to discredit his
                      > rival... perhaps with a *wink*wink*nudge*nudge* from their Keeper.

                      The safest thing might be to create an imaginary assistant/friend to Tesla, who took all his notes, expanded on them to derive some weird/wonderful technology (possibly with Mythos components) and may have been responsible for Tesla's gradual collapse.

                      Tesla was about the only person to write a negative obituary of Edison, and again in the DG universe perhaps someone was poisoning his mind through conventional or arcane methods.
                    • Del Rio
                      Message 10 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                        The problem is that his papers were gone through by someone with an inadequate knowledge of Mythos science. Sounds like the Keeper has in mind to correct that oversight. The reason for Tesla's "madness" late in life seems clear enough to those who've seen this pattern play out as many times as we have... ;-)

                        Del

                        > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
                        > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
                        > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if
                        > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get
                        > it, right?

                        It would have to be a fantasy device, because Tesla's 'real' death ray,
                        described in his papers, used an electrostatic generator to accelerate
                        particles of mercury to a high velocity in a vacuum before they were fired
                        out of the tube. The design for allowing the small pieces of mercury to
                        transit from a vacuum into the atmosphere (without affecting the vacuum)
                        looks extremely unlikely to work, and even if it did, the particles wouldn't
                        travel very far - certainly not the distances Tesla boasted of to shoot down
                        aircraft. There is no evidence that he even built a prototype; the device
                        seems to have been a figment of his failing mental condition.

                        Sadly, although Tesla described the device firing particles, they weren't
                        the sort usually associated with 'particle weapons', and Tesla wasn't
                        interested in particle physics.

                        > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
                        > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
                        > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere. So, if
                        > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to get
                        > it, right?

                        The OSS went through his papers because of his claims, and nothing practical
                        was found. If it had been, WW2 would have proven an ideal venue for its use.

                        Messages in this topic (7)
                        Reply (via web post)

                        Start a new topic
                      • Russell Rayburn
                        Message 11 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                          On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Del Rio <delriodg@...> wrote:
                          > The problem is that his papers were gone through by someone with an inadequate knowledge of Mythos science.  Sounds like the Keeper has in mind to correct that oversight.  The reason for Tesla's "madness" late in life seems clear enough to those who've seen this pattern play out as many times as we have...  ;-)
                          >
                          > Del

                          Now that's an excellent take on it.

                          "Sure it's nuts. No way it could work. Do you SEE any fresh virgins
                          blood here?"

                          --
                          I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
                          And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect
                          it.
                          - Jack Handey
                        • Ross Payton
                          Message 12 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                            With all of this talk of Tesla, I should point out the newest issue of the
                            comic Atomic-Robo http://www.atomic-robo.com/ features a nuclear powered
                            robot built by Tesla teaming with Charles Fort to kill a Yog-Sothoth
                            possessed H.P. Lovecraft.

                            On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Russell Rayburn <rusrayburn@...>wrote:

                            > On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Del Rio <delriodg@...> wrote:
                            > > The problem is that his papers were gone through by someone with an
                            > inadequate knowledge of Mythos science. Sounds like the Keeper has in mind
                            > to correct that oversight. The reason for Tesla's "madness" late in life
                            > seems clear enough to those who've seen this pattern play out as many times
                            > as we have... ;-)
                            > >
                            > > Del
                            >
                            > Now that's an excellent take on it.
                            >
                            > "Sure it's nuts. No way it could work. Do you SEE any fresh virgins
                            > blood here?"
                            >

                            > --
                            > I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
                            > And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect
                            > it.
                            > - Jack Handey

                            Ross Payton
                            Raillery: A Comedy video podcast
                            http://www.raillery.tv

                          • Del Rio
                            Message 13 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                              I always meant to check out that comic, in large part due to unspeakably cool tagline, something like, "Robots and Nazi punching!". ;-) Now I feel almost obligated to...

                              Del

                              With all of this talk of Tesla, I should point out the newest issue of the
                              comic Atomic-Robo http://www.atomic-robo.com/ features a nuclear powered
                              robot built by Tesla teaming with Charles Fort to kill a Yog-Sothoth
                              possessed H.P. Lovecraft.

                              On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:30 AM, Russell Rayburn <rusrayburn@...>wrote:

                              > On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Del Rio <delriodg@...> wrote:
                              > > The problem is that his papers were gone through by someone with an
                              > inadequate knowledge of Mythos science. Sounds like the Keeper has in mind
                              > to correct that oversight. The reason for Tesla's 'madness' late in life
                              > seems clear enough to those who've seen this pattern play out as many times
                              > as we have... ;-)
                              > >
                              > > Del
                              >
                              > Now that's an excellent take on it.
                              >
                              > 'Sure it's nuts. No way it could work. Do you SEE any fresh virgins
                              > blood here?'
                              >

                              > --
                              > I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
                              > And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect
                              > it.
                              > - Jack Handey

                              Ross Payton
                              Raillery: A Comedy video podcast
                              http://www.raillery.tv

                              Messages in this topic (15)
                              Reply (via web post)

                              Start a new topic
                            • Jon Nyx

                                On 5/6/2009 5:22 PM, jonasargham spaketh'd unto us thusly:

                                >> Tesla's ashes may not be complete (some material is lost in a normal
                                >> cremation so if steps weren't taken to prevent this during the incineration
                                >> the resurrected form won't be complete in body or mind), or may be
                                >> contaminated during or since cremation (again with variable results).
                                >
                                > I'm assuming it was a reputable crematorium with as complete as possible
                                > cremation process and as much ashes as possible. My question is, under
                                > perfect conditions, would the ashes be enough to create anything more
                                > than liveliest awfulness?

                                Bad assumption. ;)

                                ...so what was up with the crematoriums that were in the news recently? Were
                                they *really* just a bunch of cheap and incompetent crooks who were dumping
                                bodies & providing loved ones with fake "remains" composed of wood ash and
                                powdered cement, or was something else going on? Something like:

                                a) The remains were being sold to various unscrupulous institutions, medical
                                supply houses, museums, private collectors, etc. at great profit. This would
                                be a good mundane plot hook for LEO PCs/friendlies, who then uncover Mythos
                                activities. (Who are those "private collectors"?)

                                b) The bodies were feeding the ghouls running the crematorium(s); think
                                "DeMonte ghoul clan".

                                c) What better way to traffic in slaves than Ye Essential Saltes? Easy to
                                move 'em around, you don't have to feed them, easy to discipline, etc. They
                                could be used for all sorts of activities - gladiatorial style blood sports
                                (with real chainsaws and flamethrowers, yea!), forced labor too deadly for
                                normal humans (*Really* deep and unstable diamond mines? Activities
                                involving stolen and leaky Soviet-era nukes?), hideous
                                sexual/sadistic/torture activities, "experiments from beyond" ("Put on this
                                suit, we want you to check out this new region of N-Space we've recently
                                discovered..."). If they get too beat-up, dismembered and/or otherwise
                                abused to function, just make sure you've got all the parts, Put Down, Raise
                                all fresh & new again, repeat as necessary.

                                d) Instant guards/"bad-ass distractions while you get away". Mix a bunch of
                                human Saltes together (including that fucking IRS agent who audited you
                                *twice* last year), as well as some from dobermans, a few dozen rabid
                                badgers, maybe a hornet's nest or two for good measure, pour the mixture
                                into a bunch of plastic-lined cardboard boxes with loose lids, arrange boxes
                                within easy earshot (so you don't have to yell too loud when raising them).
                                Don't forget to toss in plenty of silica gel packets, especially if they're
                                gonna be sitting there for a while, and/or you're in a humid environment.
                                Store in a cool, dry place when not in use.

                                >> And then you require access to the procedure to render the essential salts
                                >> from the ashes, without losing or contaminating the material. The process is
                                >> obscure, with the instructions in some versions of the black books
                                >> incomplete or corrupted...
                                >
                                > We are dealing with experts in the process, Karotechia. So, if the ashes
                                > are usable, even hypothetically, then they will have the means to do it.

                                You're thinking too hard. GM fiat: If you want to use this idea in a
                                scenario, then it works, and it works however you say it does. For realism &
                                plausibility (or at least "internally self-consistent logic," given the
                                topic we're discussing), I'd make it an obscure, very complicated and
                                extremely risky process, possibly developed by the Nazis/Karotechia
                                attempting to apply scientific methods and research to Mythos spells (with
                                the goal of improving and expanding upon them), via a *lot* of trial and
                                error. Most experiments ended in hideous failure, a few produced useful
                                results and variations on "traditional" Mythos spells. Lotsa fun to spring
                                these on PCs/Players who've memorized all of the gamebooks.

                                >> > Large portions of Teslas notes and plans are "missing" if
                                >> > someone wanted to build a, oh, I dont know, maybe a Death Ray, they
                                >> > might need to go to the source for such plans.
                                >>
                                >> There's no evidence that Tesla developed a working death ray; if there was,
                                >> MJ12 or some other government body would already have it.
                                >
                                > Exactly, which is why you would need to talk to the man himself to get one
                                > made. If MJ12 swiped the plans when they ransacked his room after his
                                > death, then those are now locked up in warehouse 23 somewhere.

                                Don't you mean "the Ice Cave"? Or perhaps MJ12 *did* have the plans at one
                                point, but they were lost in one of the accidents described in the DG
                                sourcebooks (ie - the Deep One artifacts from the Innsmouth raid being
                                destroyed by a crazed ONI guy, the Bucket explosion, etc.).

                                > So, if
                                > Tesla did have the plans to make it, resurrection would be the way to
                                > get it, right?

                                Is Tesla in the Dreamlands now, perhaps? If not Tesla himself, maybe the
                                ghoul (or ghouls) who feasted upon his remains, and who now carry portions
                                of his memories and persona? Maybe the ashes *are* fake, and a sorcerer has
                                Tesla in part of his collection of interesting people/Saltes (and trades or
                                loans him out occasionally to other collectors). More on his death:

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#Death

                                "Tesla died of heart failure alone in room 3327 of the New Yorker Hotel,
                                some time between the evening of 5 January and the morning of 8 January
                                1943, at the age of 86."

                                ...so we have a ~60hr window in which his death occurred. Plenty of time for
                                all sorts of Mythos shenanigans and deceptions.

                                ~snip~

                                "Immediately after Tesla's death became known, the government's Alien
                                Property Custodian office took possession of his papers and property,
                                despite his US citizenship. His safe at the hotel was also opened."

                                'Became known' is the key phrase here. Who or what knew about his death
                                before it 'became [widely] known'? What, if anything, did they remove from
                                his room before the feds showed up? Or what, possibly, did they place among
                                his possessions, to be found by others?

                                "At the time of his death, Tesla had been continuing his work on the
                                teleforce weapon, or death ray, that he had unsuccessfully marketed to the
                                US War Department."

                                'Unsuccessfully'? Why? Tesla was famous for all of the incredible devices
                                he'd invented over the years. Here's one possibility:

                                "...[early in 1942], Project MIRAGE was originally given the lowest priority
                                of all the teams in RAINBOW, although many scientists felt it should be the
                                most important. The lack of confidence among the Navy brass was the main
                                cause of MIRAGE's lackluster financial support. Many in the Navy believed
                                that stealth for naval craft was nothing but an egghead pipe dream."
                                ~~ [DG: Eyes Only - Project Rainbow]

                                The initial MIRAGE test in March of 1942 made use of a large (and noisy)
                                "ultrasonic cannon," which superheated the air. As a stealth device, it was
                                a failure. The device and its project notes were turned over to the
                                Department of the Navy for research into [its] weapons applications.

                                "It appears that [Tesla's] proposed death ray was related to his research
                                into ball lightning and plasma, and was imagined as a particle beam weapon."

                                To the War Dept., Tesla's "death ray" may have been seen as a variation on
                                MIRAGE technology, which up until that point was a dead end. Even if one
                                wants to assume that Tesla's death ray was based in independently-discovered
                                Resonator technology, the MIRAGE project head, Dr. Arthur Turner, didn't
                                hear about the Tillighast Resonator until late in December of 1942, and did
                                not actually see it action until February of 1943.

                                Another possibility is that the device simply didn't work & Tesla was too
                                batshit crazy by then for anyone to take him seriously; that's no fun,
                                though, so we'll ignore that speculation.

                                "The US government did not find a prototype of the device in the safe. After
                                the FBI was contacted by the War Department, his papers were declared to be
                                top secret. The so-called "peace ray" constitutes a part of some conspiracy
                                theories as a means of destruction. The personal effects were seized on the
                                advice of presidential advisers; J. Edgar Hoover declared the case most
                                secret, because of the nature of Tesla's inventions and patents."

                                Let your Mythos imagination run amuck.

                                "One document states that "[he] is reported to have some 80 trunks in
                                different places containing transcripts and plans having to do with his
                                experiments [...]". Charlotte Muzar reported that there were several
                                "missing" papers and property.

                                Wow, pre-DG Green Boxes. Now *that* might be something you'd want to Raise
                                Tesla for: the locations of his various trunks and all of the secrets they
                                contained. Might make a good nation-trotting or globe-trotting WWII campaign
                                - - get the trunks for the Allies before Axis agents find them.

                                "Tesla's family and the Yugoslav embassy struggled with the American
                                authorities to gain these items after his death due to the potential
                                significance of some of his research."

                                I bet they did; from wikipedia:

                                "The Kingdom of Yugoslavia was invaded by the Axis powers in 1941, and
                                because of the events that followed, was officially abolished in 1943 and
                                1945. The second country with this name was the Democratic Federal
                                Yugoslavia, proclaimed in 1943 by the Yugoslav Partisans resistance movement
                                in World War II. It was renamed to the Federal People's Republic of
                                Yugoslavia in 1946, when a communist government was established."

                                So we go straight from Nazis attempting to seize Tesla's work to the
                                post-wwII/Cold War USSR led by Stalin.

                                "Eventually, his nephew, Sava Kosanoviċ, won possession of some of his
                                personal effects, which are now housed in the Nikola Tesla Museum in
                                Belgrade, Serbia."

                                No date given, could probably dig it up elsewhere if necessary.

                                "Tesla's funeral took place on 12 January 1943, at the Cathedral of Saint
                                John the Divine in Manhattan, New York City."

                                Officially the Cathedral Church of Saint John the Divine in the City and
                                Diocese of New York, nicknamed St. John the Unfinished, it is the Cathedral
                                of the Episcopal Diocese of New York. Some more interesting info on it here:

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathedral_of_Saint_John_the_Divine

                                I believe HPL mentions it in a couple of his stories. ("He"?)

                                "His body was cremated and his ashes taken to Belgrade, Yugoslavia in 1957.
                                The urn was placed in the Nikola Tesla Museum, where it resides to this day."

                                So yeah, ~14 years for interesting things to have happened to Tesla's remains.

                                Then there's this:

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#Tesla.27s_pigeon

                                Dreamlands weirdness, perhaps?

                                Some *really* crazy conspiracy fodder can be found here:

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Nikola_Tesla

                                >> Before his death, several sources suggest that Tesla was suffering from
                                >> mental illness, so a resurrected Tesla would not be the genius of his
                                >> prime.
                                >
                                > Oh, thats a given, the man was, from what i've read, batshit crazy before
                                > he died. and would be even more so upon resurrection given the 1d20 san
                                > loss for being resurrected.

                                What if it was Yithian possession? You raise Tesla and his (unsuppressed)
                                memories end around 1937...

                                Or better yet, what if for some reason the Yithian was unable to make the
                                mindswap before Tesla's body died, so what you raise is not Tesla but a
                                Yithian in Tesla's body?
                                - --

                                || ___\ \/ / || comments/criticisms/death-threats may be sent to: ||
                                || \__ \ / || jonnyx (@) gmail (dot) com ||
                                || __/ / \ || or POBox 2441, Duluth GA 30096, USA ||
                                || \__/_/\_\ || "DRIVING DRUNK ON THE INFORMATION SUPERHIGHWAY!" ||

                              • jerfurdt@sbcglobal.net
                                Message 15 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                                  If you might remember the old batman series or maybe the movie with adam west. It was one of the major bad guys freeze dried their henchman. When they where reconstuted and fought batman and robin they detergent back into dust.

                                  Batman though since the henchmen where reconstuted with water and not their own body fluids they became unstable.

                                  With that in mind that could through a wrench in any of the above mentioned secernios, or they might have some unforeseen problems when mixing salts of several people or a mix.
                                  Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                  Message 16 of 21 , May 7, 2009
                                    On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 8:31 PM, Jon Nyx <jonnyx@...> wrote:

                                    > c) What better way to traffic in slaves than Ye Essential Saltes? Easy to
                                    > move 'em around, you don't have to feed them, easy to discipline, etc. They
                                    > could be used for all sorts of activities - gladiatorial style blood sports
                                    > (with real chainsaws and flamethrowers, yea!), forced labor too deadly for
                                    > normal humans (*Really* deep and unstable diamond mines? Activities
                                    > involving stolen and leaky Soviet-era nukes?), hideous
                                    > sexual/sadistic/torture activities, "experiments from beyond" ("Put on this
                                    > suit, we want you to check out this new region of N-Space we've recently
                                    > discovered..."). If they get too beat-up, dismembered and/or otherwise
                                    > abused to function, just make sure you've got all the parts, Put Down, Raise
                                    > all fresh & new again, repeat as necessary.
                                    >
                                    > d) Instant guards/"bad-ass distractions while you get away". Mix a bunch of
                                    > human Saltes together (including that fucking IRS agent who audited you
                                    > *twice* last year), as well as some from dobermans, a few dozen rabid
                                    > badgers, maybe a hornet's nest or two for good measure, pour the mixture
                                    > into a bunch of plastic-lined cardboard boxes with loose lids, arrange boxes
                                    > within easy earshot (so you don't have to yell too loud when raising them).
                                    > Don't forget to toss in plenty of silica gel packets, especially if they're
                                    > gonna be sitting there for a while, and/or you're in a humid environment.
                                    > Store in a cool, dry place when not in use.

                                    Not much to add... great Tesla stuff, but these bits in particular are
                                    very good!

                                    Thanks for sharing!

                                    --
                                    I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate.
                                    And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect
                                    it.
                                    - Jack Handey
                                  • Jon Nyx
                                    • Dirk R. F
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Nov 29, 2009
                                        http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/11/29/daikichi-amano/

                                        rather "not worksafe". some quite aesthetic photos, some rather pornographic, many completely wtf...