Re: [dglist] More on color and comics

  • Jon Nyx

      On 7/31/2007 8:26 PM, Mark McFadden spaketh'd unto us thusly:

      >>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Promethea
      >
      > "It is also a reference to the anomalous tendency for comics to get
      > increased sales from a picture of a gorilla, a weeping character, or
      > the color purple on the cover (as described by Mark Waid in an
      > editorial in Secret Origins Volume 2, number 40)."
      >
      > Hmmmmm. Now if a new Pagan product came out with a purple weeping
      > gorilla on the cover...

      ~yawn~

      BORing.

      You want a Robot Monster [1] on the cover carrying a weeping, swooning,
      busty and very scantily clad Orion Slave Girl [2]. In the background you
      have the Pagan staff done up all DG style [3] with ludicrously oversized
      firearms [5], trying to save the babe while being chased by spawn of the
      "Billion Bubble Machine" [6] and their leader, the hideous death-dealer
      "Rover" [7]. Oh yeah, and toss in some Cthulhu stuff somewhere. Hey, I'd buy
      it *based on the cover alone*!!! You Pagan guys oughta be paying me for
      these ideas...

      [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster - Give the Ro-Man a
      swastika armband [8] and don't forget the iguanas [9]. Hell, give the
      iguanas swastikas too. And Yellow Signs. Oh! And make the Ro-Man's helmet
      antennae a Jacob's Ladder!
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark_gap#Visual_entertainment

      [2] - Color her purple instead of green to avoid the wrath of Paramount IP
      lawyers and other demon spawn from hell.

      [3] - Like guys on the cover of the original DG sourcebook and the d20
      hardback reprint; see this thread for more info:

      http://yog-sothoth.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10027

      [4] - Speaking of "3," it would *totally* *rock* if the cover was done in 3D
      style with a set of 3D glasses included with the book.

      [5] - Like something out of Adam Warren's "Dirty Pair" comics. Only it's a
      lot of middle aged guys carrying the hardware instead of hot sci-fi anime babes.

      [6] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster - Seriously. "Billion
      Bubble Machine." They even have a picture of the damn thing.

      [7] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_%28The_Prisoner%29

      [8] - Gives you some continuity with the DG:Countdown cover, plus kicking
      Nazi ass is always good for sales. Just look at Mike Mignola's "Hellboy".

      [9] - The iguanas in the opening and closing scenes of the movie that were
      made up to look like dinosaurs. No, I don't know why they had
      iguana/wanna-be dinosaurs in the film, and neither does anyone else. The
      director probably didn't know either.
      - --

      || ___\ \/ / || Pope jonnyX - DragonCon Track Director ||
      || \__ \ / || Space * Science * Skepticism ||
      || __/ / \ || jonnyx (@) gmail (dot) com ||
      || \__/_/\_\ || track website = http://madscientist.org.uk ||

    • Mark McFadden
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 1, 2007
        On 8/1/07, Jon Nyx <jonnyx@...> wrote:

        > [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster - Give the Ro-Man a
        > swastika armband [8] and don't forget the iguanas [9]. Hell, give the
        > iguanas swastikas too. And Yellow Signs.

        Ro-Man actually plumbs depths Ed Wood couldn't sink to. You can't
        beat a guy in a gorilla suit with an antennaed diving helmet running
        around the better known caves above Los Angeles and taking orders from
        a WWII radio set that blows bubbles.
        The armband would, of course, feature a suvastika to reference the
        Theosophists. Put the Yellow Signs on the iguanas.

        > [2] - Color her purple instead of green to avoid the wrath of Paramount IP
        > lawyers and other demon spawn from hell.

        But then you'll have Marvel on your ass. The Purple Man had a daughter.

        > [6] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robot_Monster - Seriously. "Billion
        > Bubble Machine." They even have a picture of the damn thing.

        When MST3K "did" 'Robot Monster', they later concluded that you
        couldn't make it any funnier than it already was.

        > [8] - Gives you some continuity with the DG:Countdown cover, plus kicking
        > Nazi ass is always good for sales. Just look at Mike Mignola's "Hellboy".

        Make the Nazis purple, and have a gorilla kick their asses until they
        cry. Guaranteed sales!

        > [9] - The iguanas in the opening and closing scenes of the movie that were
        > made up to look like dinosaurs. No, I don't know why they had
        > iguana/wanna-be dinosaurs in the film, and neither does anyone else. The
        > director probably didn't know either.

        Without the lizard content, 'Robot Monster' would have been merely a
        very very bad sci fi movie instead of the "classic" that it has
        become. Ya hear that Hollywood? Add more lizards and make more money.
        It's axiomatic.

        Mark McFadden