Re: [dglist] End times in the big easy..

  • Marshall Gatten
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
      It did occur to me yesterday that New Orleans is a bit of a hotbed of
      occult activity. And there are a lot of federal agents from a lot of
      agencies going there right now for a lot of different tasks. It might be
      an excellent opportunity for DG to get a cell on the ground to perform
      cleanup of known mythos locations - all the cultists have been
      evacuated, and so nobody is there guarding some of the artifacts that
      would be otherwise to dangerous to grab (well, nobody human anyway).
      With expected resistance at a minimum, what better time to go recover
      stuff?

      Does canon have a substantial ghoul presence in New Orleans? I can't
      recall and don't have my books at hand right now. If so, this is a mixed
      blessing for them. Their warrens are certainly flooded out, but then
      again New Orleans has always had ground water problems since they are
      below the water table. The warrens probably were minimal anyway.
      Besides, I assume ghouls don't breathe so maybe they can get along fine
      in the water. And now they can swim through front doors and check attics
      for food without ever surfacing. So they now become the unexpected
      resistance when agents come to do some specialized looting of their own.

      Here's an odd question: I assume that the majority of the water that
      the town is flooded with is sea water, yes? (I know a lot of it is from
      the Mississippi river, but the lionshare of it is a storm surge from the
      ocean, right?) If so, then there are probably sharks swimming through
      people's living rooms. Any ghoul attacks, then, could be explained away
      as attacks from mad and confused sharks. Or am I way off base on that?

      Just a few disjointed thoughts from a man who's gotten far too little
      sleep this week.

      (And, by the way, none of this is intended to make light of the
      incredibly tragic situation in LA.)

    • Russell Rayburn
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
        On 9/1/05, Marshall Gatten <marshall@...> wrote:

        <snip>
        > Does canon have a substantial ghoul presence in New Orleans? I can't
        > recall and don't have my books at hand right now.
        </snip>

        Well, define canon...

        There's the phenom-x transcripts, both in the lists file section and here:

        http://www.shoggoth.net/index.php3?section=Phenomen-X

        Which, I'll admit, was one of the first things I thought of. I'll
        also note I don't have loved ones ( or even liked ones ) in the
        area... which would make things different.

        <snip>
        > Here's an odd question: I assume that the majority of the water that
        > the town is flooded with is sea water, yes? (I know a lot of it is from
        > the Mississippi river, but the lionshare of it is a storm surge from the
        > ocean, right?) If so, then there are probably sharks swimming through
        > people's living rooms. Any ghoul attacks, then, could be explained away
        > as attacks from mad and confused sharks. Or am I way off base on that?
        </snip>

        Not sure if you're off base or not, but I'd think gators would be more
        acceptable. Add in scrounging housepets if someone mentions the bite
        patterns don't look right.

        <snip>
        > (And, by the way, none of this is intended to make light of the
        > incredibly tragic situation in LA.)
        </snip>

        You'd think that understanding would be a given, but I'm with you.
      • ialdaloboth *genzundheit!*
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
          > > Here's an odd question: I assume that the majority of the water that
          > > the town is flooded with is sea water, yes? (I know a lot of it is from
          > > the Mississippi river, but the lionshare of it is a storm surge from the
          > > ocean, right?) If so, then there are probably sharks swimming through
          > > people's living rooms.

          I believe sharks HAVE been sighted, yes. And who knows what else might be
          lurking under the surface?

          It's a horrible tragedy, but if you want something to pattern an in-game
          disaster on, I can't think of anything better: money siphoned away, national
          guard in Iraq, precautions not engaged, evacuation floundered, and cops
          joining the hoods in looting and shooting.

          It sure beats the earthquake from At Your Door...

          ps: I'm with all on not making light of this
        • Russell Rayburn
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
            On 9/1/05, ialdaloboth *genzundheit!* <ialdaloboth@...> wrote:

            > It sure beats the earthquake from At Your Door...

            Yes it does:

            http://apnews.myway.com//article/20050901/D8CBMM6OA.html
          • Russell Rayburn
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2005
              from another list, here's a link to a scanner monitoring the Louisiana
              National Guard in New Orleans:

              http://ve3nsv.no-ip.org:8000/louisiana.m3u