Theory of Mind

  • Rich Lawrence
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
      Hello all,

      In regards to some of the discussions that have taken place regarding
      free will and the like, I was interested in what speculations people
      might have regarding a workable theory of how the brain operates or
      whether or not a workable theory is even possible. I'm defining
      workable as a theory that can produce technology that allows us to
      mimic and improve upon the process as we find it in nature. Flight
      would be a very good example of the relationship of theory to
      technology. I'm also putting a link to a very good 20 minute talk by
      Jeff Hawkins on this very subject. His book, "On Intelligence"
      fleshes out the ideas in his talk and is a great read for anyone
      interested in this subject and anyone who might be compelled to take
      an interest in a forum such as this. :)

      Here is the link to the talk:

      http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/125

      Regards,

      Rich
    • rchrdstvr@cs.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
        In a message dated 2/13/2008 10:57:44 AM Mountain Standard Time,
        freethinker58@... writes:

        > I was interested in what speculations people
        > might have regarding a workable theory of how the brain operates or
        > whether or not a workable theory is even possible. >>
        >
        > From what I can determine, we physically react to resonate situations and
        > our brain records and rationalizes why we did it, based on our conditioning,
        > experience, and learning.

        Memory, why we did it, our glands, and our emergency system are all
        controlled by the brain. Our physical reaction is on-going muscle memory, the same
        way it was when we were in our developing stages. We also have a feedback
        element in our brains that affects our glands and muscles.

        Your post, for example, caused me to respond. Had you not written it, I
        wouldn't
        > have had anything to respond to.

        Stimulus/response is the basis of everything that functions, electric,
        mechanical, chemical, atomic, physics, etc., so why should our bodies be any
        different?

        I see myself as an idling motor waiting for someone or something to put it
        into gear, and your post did it.

        Now, if you don't mind, I'll resume my idling mode until the next resonate
        event.

        Richard

      • Ken Waletzki
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
          Magic 8-ball says: "Reply hazy, try again"

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
            In a message dated 2/13/2008 2:19:02 PM Mountain Standard Time,
            yayoubetcha@... writes:

            > Magic 8-ball says: "Reply hazy, try again" >>
            >
            > So I wasted my time and effort. No big deal, it happens all the time with
            > closed minds.
            >
            > Richard

          • gentaboy
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 13, 2008
              --- In determinism@yahoogroups.com, rchrdstvr@... wrote:

              > In a message dated 2/13/2008 10:57:44 AM Mountain Standard Time,
              > freethinker58@... writes:
              >
              > > I was interested in what speculations people
              > > might have regarding a workable theory of how the brain operates or
              > > whether or not a workable theory is even possible. >>
              > >
              > > From what I can determine, we physically react to resonate
              situations and
              > > our brain records and rationalizes why we did it, based on our
              conditioning,
              > > experience, and learning.
              >
              > Memory, why we did it, our glands, and our emergency system are all
              > controlled by the brain. Our physical reaction is on-going muscle
              memory, the same
              > way it was when we were in our developing stages. We also have a
              feedback
              > element in our brains that affects our glands and muscles.
              >
              > Your post, for example, caused me to respond. Had you not written it, I
              > wouldn't
              > > have had anything to respond to.
              >
              > Stimulus/response is the basis of everything that functions, electric,
              > mechanical, chemical, atomic, physics, etc., so why should our
              bodies be any
              > different?
              >
              > I see myself as an idling motor waiting for someone or something to
              put it
              > into gear, and your post did it.
              >
              > Now, if you don't mind, I'll resume my idling mode until the next
              resonate
              > event.
              >
              > Richard

              Richard:

              "From what I can determine, we physically react to resonate situations
              and our brain records and rationalizes why we did it, based on our
              conditioning, experience, and learning."

              Curious, do you see this as wave interaction? Does your
              stimulus-response scenario (even though you seem to approach in on the
              macro level) boil down to deterministic superimposed waves?

              Charles
            • rchrdstvr@cs.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2008