wire stops conducting???

    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2007
      I must be getting into some heavy woo-woo mojo.
      I was working on an orgone project, involving a few inches of very
      thin (maybe 28-30awg) multistrand insulated copper wire.
      I connected it to another heavier wire, end-to-end. Before i crimped
      the connectors, i made sure i had the polarity right. Everything worked.

      I crimped the wires together, re-tested, but juice was no longer
      getting through. I figured i must have made a bad connection, and tore
      it off. But now, apparently, the bad spot was somewhere else.
      Using the ohm-meter on my multi-meter to test continuity, i traced
      down where the break in continuity was: it was in one of the lengths
      of the thin wire. It no longer conducted. Had it broken under the
      insulation? Several strands? It was so thin i was able to slide off
      the entire insulation with my fingernails. No breaks.

      OK... So i put the now-bare wire on a piece of paper, press one of the
      probes of my multi-meter to each end, and get NO conductivity from
      this bare wire. Touch the probes themselves together, and the needle
      on the dial pegs on the opposite side.

      Must not be connecting properly with the probes, i thought. I put a
      wire that had alligator clips on each end onto each probe. Clipped
      onto each probe securely. Clipped the other ends to the thin wire.
      NO conductivity. I touch the clips together, the needle pegs.
      All right, maybe the wire is so thin it's not catching in the jaws of
      the clips.
      But nope, they were gripping quite securely. I could grab each clip
      and tug, tensioning the wire, and NO conductivity.
      I messed around with this a while, then tried again 1/2 hour later,
      still the same.

      Anybody ever heard of such a thing?