4245malware warning: Conduit

    Dec 31, 2013
      I accidentally infected my mom's PC yesterday, and mine today with this ridiculous malware made by 5 shapeshifting reptilians. This thing is so grossly obnoxious that nobody would stand for it unless they are computer-illiterate and don't know what to do.
      And takes time and work to get rid of. It is flagrant vandalism just to be nasty.

      I had started to install Foxit Reader on my mom's WinXP PC, but then the .exe would not let me install it unless i also installed a bunch of crapware. Then i realized i was not on the Foxit site but a 3rd party site that had a paid ad at the top of google search results. So instead i went to Foxit's site to download and install. I'm still not certain it wasn't Foxit itself that bit me, because i never installed the one from the other site.

      Then today i installed Google Earth on my WinXP laptop, and again, i got sucked into a 3rd party ad at the top, that had google in its URL but wasn't google. Again i declined to install that one and went to google's instead.

      AT NO TIME WAS I ASKED WHETHER I WANTED TO INSTALL CONDUIT, just other crapware.

      In both computers, what happens next is when you do, say, a google search, you instead get a Conduit search, which makes itself your start page, overriding your settings.

      Conduit makes changes in the registry, some of which won't delete in regedit. Also sets a bunch of cookies.
      I finally went to
      http://malwaretips.com/blogs/remove-conduit-apps-search-and-toolbar/#uninstall
      and did that stuff. I never got a Conduit toolbar, so the 1st step did not apply. Also the last step (Hitman) produced no results.
      Seems to have gotten rid of Conduit.