Replacement motor for up, up and away witch

  • John G
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 18, 2006
      I replaced the broken motor in our Dept 56 Witch. Here's the story:

      The motor in our up,up, & away witch stopped working. I'm sure our cat
      Archie didn't help matters when he often stood in the path of the
      witch thus blocking her movement!

      I was able to remove the white plastic base of the unit by first
      prying a corner of it with a small jewelers screwdriver. I found that
      I then could score the edge of the base with a box cutter and pry it
      off the rest of the way with my fingers. Watch your fingers & any
      snoopy cats when using the box cutter.

      The motor assembly was held in with 4 screws which could be easily
      removed.

      The original motor was made by Rong Sang Industries, rotates at 5 or 6
      revolutions per minute and is model number RS 100-06. The motor shaft
      fell out of the motor (not good) and inspection revealed several
      broken gears inside. A google search found no direct Rong Sang
      replacements.

      A visit to our local Ax-Man surplus store in Minneapolis yielded a 4.8
      rev/minute motor which did work with some modification. The motor I
      found was Timetech model number S430.1. I bought the last one in the
      store, but I found that Herbach & Rademan surplus has them on their
      website for about 5 bucks. See link:

      Link to Herback Rademan timer
      <http://www.herbach.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HAR\
      &Product_Code=TM99MTR4364&Category_Code=SYNCTIME>

      The steel shaft of the original motor was flat on two sides. the
      replacement was flat on only one side. I used a steel file to add a
      second flat section to the new motor shaft. I reused the old plastic
      coupling that connects the motor shaft to the witch's wire rod.

      I soldered new wire leads to the new motor and wire nutted the leads
      to the 120 volt line cord. Put it all back together and it actually
      worked. The motor starts in what ever direction it pleases. So if
      the witch is flying backwards, just unplug and plug in again once or
      twice and the direction will change.

      I wouldn't recommend this project unless you are moderately skilled with
      mechanical and electrical projects.

      My last and most difficult step in the project is to train Archie to
      stay away from the witch!

      John G

    • esme56@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2006
        In a message dated 9/20/06 11:06:47 AM, NotColdEnough@... writes:

        > I wouldn't recommend this project unless you are moderately skilled with
        > mechanical and electrical projects

        Thanks for the detailed description but I'm sure I'm going to take your
        "other" advice!

        Esme

      • transitguy2001
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
          Only one question remains, John, "Is Archie a black cat?"

          > My last and most difficult step in the project is to train Archie to
          > stay away from the witch!
          >
          > John G
        • John G
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 21, 2006
            --- In dept56@yahoogroups.com, "transitguy2001" <transitguy2001@...>
            wrote:

            > Only one question remains, John, "Is Archie a black cat?"

            Close - he is a Siamese. The link below is an actual photo that shows
            him blocking the movement of the Up, Up, and Away Witch.

            Archie <http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v23/JGasal/Eby/Archie1.jpg>

            John G