Summertime with the Denver Zine Library

  • annami_ysh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2008
      Hi friends,

      Here is our July update from the library. We have lots of good stuff coming up, so come on by. Also, our space is getting better all the time...come see for yourself!

      Thanks for supporting the library in all the fabulous ways that you do!

      xo
      The Denver Zine Library

      Upcoming Summer Events with the DenverZine Library

      JULY

      City Park Festival of the Arts – Sunday, July 20

      City Park (near Colfax & Steele), 12-6 pm. www.cityparkfestival.org

      Movie Night – Thursday, July 31

      The Other Side Arts (TOSA), main gallery (1644 Platte Street, Denver 80202),7pm, $5-10 suggested donation. Snacks and beverages will be on sale at theevent. Sneak preview of book sale scheduled for the next evening.

      AUGUST

      Used Booksale – Friday, August 1

      Denver Zine Library (inside TOSA – 1644 Platte Street, Denver 80202),6-10pm. This will take place during TOSA's First Friday art opening: the DNCArt Show. The books are CHEAP and all proceeds benefit the DZL. If you have anybooks you'd like to donate to the sale, please contact Brian at printhead@... tocoordinate a drop-off.

      Bowling Fundraiser – Saturday, August 9

      Elitch Lanes (3825 Tennyson Street, Denver 80212), 11am-2pm, $10 cost.Contact Anna at a.inazu@...with questions or for more info.

      KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THESE UPCOMINGEVENTS!

      · September—Zine Reading

      · October—2009 DZL CalendarRelease and Silent Auction

      · December—The DZL's 5 YearAnniversary Party!

      NOW ON SALE

      · Tote Bags—$5-10 slidingscale

      · Zinester's Guide to Denver—$3

      · 2008 DZL Calendar—$2-5 slidingscale

      DZL Open Hours: Saturdays and Sundays 1-5 or by appointment

      Location: 1644 Platte Street, Studio 107, Denver 80202 (the firstdoor when you go in the alley on the right side of the building).

      Mailing Address: PO Box 13826, Denver CO 80201

      Website: www.denverzinelibrary.org

      E-mail: denverzinelibrary@...

      OtherUpcoming Events in Denver!

      From John Porcellino:

      HiEverybody

      Just wanted to let you know about the upcoming Thoreau at Walden Release Party to beheld Saturday July 19th at Wax Trax/Kilgore Books.

      The "festivities" begin at WAX TRAX with free, live,all-acoustic music from Andy Falconetti (Breezy Porticos), Ted Thacker(Veronica/Baldo Rex), and Rotaree (eclectic 3-piece featuring BonnieWeimer).  The music will run from approximately 5-7 PM at which pointthings will move to the new KILGORE BOOKS (convenientlylocated next door to Wax Trax) for a Thoreau at Waldenpresentation, booksigning, and reception from 7-8 PM. (Copies of the book willbe available for purchase.)

      Thoreau at Walden is my newGraphic Novel, published by Hyperion and the Center for Cartoon Studies. It's a poetic impression of one year of Thoreau's life and thought at Walden Pond.  (Please visit www.king-cat.net for moreinfo.)

      Anyhow, I hope to see you there!  And I hope all is well!

      LOVE  John P.

      Upcoming ZineFests/Fairs you don't want to miss!

      BostonZine Fair 2008
      ( info from www.myspace.com/ papercutzinelibrary)

      Spring came and went without hardly a word, but folks who may have noted thefailure of a 2008 Boston Zine Fair to appear can take heart!!! After many yearsof dedicated getting-it-done, Janaka Stucky and Black Ocean press have passedthe organizing reins onto us, a group of folks from the Papercut Zine libraryand the Boston Comics Roundtable. With Janaka's material and spiritual supportand the continuing! awesome! sponsorship of Black Ocean, we are currentlystumbling through getting it together.

      What we have right now is:

      BOSTON ZINE FAIR 2008!!!
      Sept 20-21,
      Art Institute of Boston,
      601 Newbury Street in Kenmore Square.

      Hopefully with plenty of brilliant zines and awesome zine-style wares availablefrom a diverse array of totally charming + rad vendors.
      Hopefully also with great food, music, workshops maybe an art show. Every goodthing we can fit in there is the idea.

      SPEAKING OF WHICH, REGISTRATION IS OPEN!!! Finally.

      This year we are doing things a new way.
      Folks can reserve full tables or half-tables for Sat. or Sun. or both days atvery reasonable rates.

      Full table/2 days-$17
      Full table/1day-$ 10
      half table/2 days-$8.50
      half table/1 day-$5

      THE REGISTRATION DEADLINE IS SEPT. 1!

      How to register:

      Our website (http://www.bostonzinefair.org/) is not up andrunning in an up to date manner as of yet. Hopefully current zine fair info + registrationforms will be avaiable there in a week or so, In the mean time, you can securea table via the www.paypal.comor by mail.

      Send payments to bostonzinefair@ yahoo.com.

      or mail them to:

      Attn: BZF
      Papercut Zine Library
      45 Mt. Auburn St.
      Cambridge, MA. 02138

      CHECKS to BOSTON ZINE FAIR

      ALSO Include the following info with your payment:

      *Your name + phone + e-mail

      *what days you are reserving

      *distro/zine/ project/org/ etc name for identifying your table as

      *Brief description of what merch you are peddling

      *Are you interested in doing a workshop, do you have workshop ideas?

      *Are you going to need a place to stay?

      * anything else we might need to know

      PLEASE INCLUDE THAT INFO IN THE COMMENTS FIELD IF YOU ARE REGISTERING VIA
      PAYPAL
      or just jot it all on a piece of paper if you are mailing it in.

      THANK YOU

      8th Annual Portland Zine Symposium

      The 8th Annual Portland ZineSymposium will be on AUGUST 23rd & 24th, 2008 in Portland, Oregon atPortland State University in the SmithMemorial Ballroom.

      This year's theme is:

      Back to DIY
      Back to Community
      Back to Roots

      Our website is constantly beingupdated with latest information. We should have posters and fliers soon if youwould like to distribute some for us, let us know!

      Please e-mail any questions to pdxzines@...

      To get all the latest Portland ZineSymposium information, join our new google group!http://groups.google.com/group/portlandzinesymposium