I know you aren't gonna miss this! 3rd Annual Denver Zine Fest!

  • annami_ysh
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28 7:54 AM

      Zine Reading & Potluck

      Friday, May 30th

      7:00 pm

      The Other Side Arts

      1644 Platte St., Denver CO

      (same location as the Denver Zine Library)

      Help gear up for the 3rd Annual Denver Zine Fest by joining us for a zine reading & potluck

      Who's Reading?

      You! We'd love to hear some of your zinester amazing-ness, cause we know you got it! Whether you have been writing zines for years or are in the process of writing your first zine, please come share it with us.

      If you are interested in reading, please contact Anna at 303.507.6811 or a.inazu@.... There will be an opportunity to sign up that evening, but we want to have a list of readers who are committed to being there ahead of time.

      Food!

      This is a potluck. Please bring a vegetarian or vegan dish share.

      Come see the zine library!

      The zine library will be open for your perusal with over 8,000 zines.  This will also be a great chance to check out our newest space if you haven't seen it already. There is also an amazing mural being painted on the side of the library that you'll just have to see.

      Their will be good people, good zines, good food and maybe even some music!

      What more could you want?

      The next day of course…

      3rd Annual Denver Zine Fest

      First Unitarian Church

      14th & Lafayette, Denver, CO

      Saturday, May 31 2008

      10:00 am – 6:00 pm

      For more information, check out: www.denverzinefest.com or http://www.myspace.com/denverzi nefest2007 (it's updated with 2008 info)

      There will be vendors, workshops, demos and food by the Underground Carrot

      The Denver Zine Fest is free and an all ages event.

      We are also still in need of volunteers the day of the zine fest. If you are able to help out or know someone that could, please get in contact with Kelly at shortandqueer@....

      Want to know what kind of fabulous workshops you can expect?

      All Day Demonstrations In the Zine Table Room:
      * Screen printing by Austin with Ink Head
      * Old fashioned letter press with Tom Parson

      When you enter the venue you will be greeted by a Zine Fest Volunteer who can point you to the WORKSHOP ROOM which will have free workshops throughout the day.

      Here is the schedule (subject to change)

      10:30 am – 11:00 am: Megan Quinn - How to do a conduct an interview: "I am a reporter for The Golden Transcript, a small newspaper in Golden, CO. I've learned a lot about how to do a smooth, enjoyable interview with cool and interesting people... but not before I had a lot of embarrassing experiences. This workshop offers some tips on how to approach and interview that band, writer, activist, artist, etc for your zine. It also covers what types of questions to ask, how to follow up with people after the interview and how to print the sucker up afterwards (all without feeling like a total idiot.) Comments, suggestions and tips from your personal experiences welcome!"

      11:20 am – 12:20 pm: Galen Shoe - Let's make comix: A super friendly workshop where people of all ages and skill levels explore the joy of drawing comix! Come by and participate in various playful activities such as the Scribble Game, the Onomatopoeia Game, Exquisite Corpse, and Jesse Reklaw's famous game Shuffleupagus.
      Casually rub elbows and learn helpful tips from some of Denver's coooolist cartoonists as you join forces to defeat the enemy of boredom!

      11:20 am – 12:20 pm : Anna & Jerrilyn - Go gocco! the basics of gocco printing: Learn the basics of gocco printing. The print gocco is a small desktop printing machine from Japan. It is simple to use and is like a combination of screen printing and stamping. In this workshop you will learn the very basics of gocco printing and make your very own postcard sized print to take with you.
      It's easy & fun!

      12:40 pm – 1:10 pm: Shannon Perez Darby & A. Crewe - Emotional Life Cycle a Zine : Have you ever felt overwhelmed about self publishing your work or putting your zine into the world for others to read? Well, if so this workshop is for you! Shannon and Amelia Crewe will talk about some of the ups and downs of the perzine writing and publishing process. Ways to bust through those fears and concerns, ways to get support from other zinesters and give support too! Recommended for folks who have written zines and have wisdom to share as well as those who want to write zines and want some advice.

      This workshop will be perzine specific but everyone is welcome!

      1:30 pm – 2:00 pm: Adam Tinnell & Kate Kershenstein - The Free Boutique's Fashion in the Making

      2:20 pm – 3:20 pm Amy Reeder Hadley - Drawing Faces : Come watch and learn as Tokyopop and DC Comics artist Amy Reeder Hadley demonstrates how to draw faces. Be sure to bring questions! She can teach anything from the basics of drawing facial features, to how to draw faces at various angles and expressions.
      Paper and pencils provided!

      3:40 pm – 4:40 pm Growler Distro/Molly - Zines & Music

      3:40 pm – 4:40 pm Justin Simoni - How to Screen Print Almost Anything : Learn the basics on how to screen print Almost Anything. Workshop comes with a free zine full of ideas to start you off! Workshop will be slanted on techniques in screen prints using cheap/found materials that don't cost an arm and a leg, but still looking pretty darn smashing.

      5:00 pm – 5:30 pm Zachary Kopp - Counterclockwise : "A discussion of L.I.Y. or "Live It Yourself" tactics like indie publishing, hijacking social networking sites to get interviews and more. Today's zinester is reclaimaing his or her creativity from political, religious or scientific censors in defiance of today's profit-dominated publishing industry which clearly value saleability over quality or substance."

      JUST ADDED:

      Jacob Richards: "How to organize and run an underground newspaper."