July Newsletter! So much good stuff...

  • annami_ysh
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 9 1:47 PM
      Hi everyone,

      Greetings from your favorite Denver Zine Library. This newsletter is packed full of good information on upcoming events, zines looking for submissions, and other good info. Check it out and hope to see you soon!

      ** Events & Fundraisers **

      • Movie Night with the Denver Zine Library - Thursday, July 12th @ 7pm
      The Denver Zine Library is having a movie-night fundraiser. Come and check out these awesome films and spend a lovely evening supporting your local zine library!

      The two movies will be:

      1) Superstar: The Karen Carpenter Story (43 min.) an early Todd Haynes film told almost entirely with Barbie dolls, this movie has been illegal to sell or distribute since 1990.

      2) The Devil and Daniel Johnston (110 min.) documentary on Daniel Johnston, emotionally troubled musician who became known after self-releasing cassettes of his home recordings in the 80s.

      The big night will be this Thursday, July 12 at 7:00 pm at The Other Side Arts (same building that houses the zine library) at 1644 Platte Street.
      Please spread the word!
      • Queer Art Show at The Other Side Arts
      Come support local zinester, artist, and author Dylan Scholinski and other local Denver queer artists! Check out this amazing show.

      The Other Side Arts (the same location as the Denver Zine Library)
      1644 Platte St., Denver, CO
      Open: Monday - Friday, 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm

      Musical Fundraiser and Closing Reception:
      Saturday, July 28th
      8:00 pm

      Featuring:
      Sarah Lucey (of Supply Boy), Joshua Novak, and other fabulous performers, including readings from local zinesters!

      ** Zine Submissions **
      • "Please forgive me for juding you"
      okay... its post pride 2007 and i am in the midst of processing that... positive and negative. which will yield a future blog... much longer and in depth. (please check back for that) in the meantime... and the first project to come from this is of course a ZINE!!!

      so, walking down colfax, here in denver, we passed a couple of people that had signs... one reads "please forgive me for judging you"...

      what is your gut reaction and thoughts on this. i do not want to tell me my response until i have yours... i don't want to influence your reaction.

      please send me your thoughts to be published in zine format... i really want to hear from you all. i am thinking this will mostly be written responses although artwork would be welcomed.

      working title:
      "please forgive me for judging you"

      send submissions to:
      Dylan Scholinski
      Sent(a)Mental Studios
      PO box 13559
      denver co 80201
      or
      sentamentalstudios(at)yahoo(dot)com
      or
      via myspace.

      thanks in advance.
      love,
      dylan

      PLEASE COPY AND REPOST: SEND OUT FAR AND WIDE\
      • Sent (a) Mental : A Memorial to GLBTIQ Suicides
        Call for submissions

        I am not a stranger to the issues brought up here. Unfortunately, I have lost many people to suicide over the years - and it is with this inspiration that I launch a new project. The Sent (a) Mental Memorial Project -- and as The Names Project (The Aids Quilt) or the National Organization of Womens' Clothesline Project which documents violence against women -- the Sent (a) Mental Project hopes to bring visibility to mental health issues and much needed attention to the thousands of people lost within our community over the years due to a lack of dialogue around these issues. This is an invitation to send stories and pictures to be included in this project about anyone else that comes to mind or lives in your heart.

        In addition to pieces about those who have successfully committed suicide, I am including another section for survivor stories. I want to hear about and from GLBTIQ people who have survived attempts as well as from those who have loved us. I feel it is important for all of us to be represented and heard. The silence around these issues is killing us. If this project can save just one life that will be good enough, but I believe we have the power to save many. It is up to us - because from where I sit - nobody else is doing it.

        I welcome a variety of expressions. Examples might include: painting, drawings, poetry, stories, photos, music, or even just a name and dates. Please, send me anything you would like in whatever form you find easiest to express yourself in.

        I will be organizing showings, putting together zines of contributions, and hope to eventually set up a website. If you would like to help with any part of this project please let me know.

        The Submission Guidelines Are Easy:

        Size: Postcards,Cds, or up to 8 1/2 " x 11" Paper
        (could be multiple pages and /or larger sizes if cleared first to insure proper storage)

        Medium: Open

        First Deadline: August 10th, 2007

        Other information that should be included with your submissions:

        For my records I will need your contact information. Please specify if you want your info posted so others may contact you. I will also need a name of who the submission is about. I may get more than one submission about each person and I want to show the pieces together. They can still be listed as anonymous if necessary. In addition to names you may include birth/death dates, obituaries, photos, and any other biographical information.

        Send submissions or questions/contact to:

        Dylan Scholinski
        Sent(a)Mental Studios
        PO Box 13559
        Denver CO 80201
        sentamentalstudios@...
        www.dylanscholinski.com

        Also contact on:
        http://www.myspace.com/dylanscholinski

      ** Miscellaneous Other Good Stuff **

      • KING-CAT CLASSIX OUT NOW!

      The King-Cat Classix book is available NOW! through the Drawn and Quarterly website, and at bookstores, comic shops and online retailers. This is a big 384 page hardcover collection of the "best of" the first fifty issues of King-Cat! (Click here for a description and cover image!) Find links to reviews, images, and ordering info at the D+Q blog. (http://www.king-cat.net/)

      • Are you a Colorado Zinester? Submit your zine to Colorado College's Zine Collection!

      http://www.coloradocollege.edu /library/SpecialCollections /zines/

      Jessy Randall, Curator and Archivist
      Colorado College Special Collections
      1021 N. Cascade Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903
      719-389-6668 / jrandall@...
      • Attention Colorado zinesters!

      Want to be added to the Denver Zine Library's website? The DZL has a page dedicated to local zine publishers
      (in Colorado):  http://www.denverzinelibrary .org/localzinesters.htm
      If you would like to be added, please send a bio and photo to Kelly at shortandqueer@...

      Stop by and visit the Denver Zine Library!

      Located at 1644 Platte St., Denver, CO

      OPEN: Saturdays and Sundays 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm or by appointment

      email: denverzinelibrary@...

      www.denverzinelibrary.org

      Send donations to: Denver Zine Library, PO Box 13826, Denver CO 80201, USA or drop by the library during open hours.