Denver Zinefest and other upcoming events!

  • annami_ysh
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2007
      Hi everyone!

      Hope this message finds you well. We have some exciting
      announcements that you won't want to miss, especially this year's
      2nd Annual Denver Zinefest! Also, don't forget to check out the info
      on Homohop West!

      Love your friends at the Denver Zine Library

      Did you realize that Denver has a thriving and growing zine
      community? Are you ready for a zine-packed weekend? You're not
      going to want to miss these fantastic events!

      ***Friday, March 23, 6pm-10pm***
      Zine Readings and Pot-luck
      The Other Side Arts, 1644 Platte Street
      Eat, drink and read (not with your mouth full). Even if you don't
      want to read, come and hear the fabulous zinesters who crossed many
      rivers and mountains to reach Denver as well as your favorite local
      zinesters. Please bring a dish to share. (And get to check out the
      awesome Denver Zine Library, located in The Other Side Arts!)

      ***Saturday, March 24, 10am-6pm***
      2nd Annual DENVER ZINE FEST!!!
      Andenken Gallery, 2110 Market Street
      When was the last time you were in a room with hundreds of people
      who support zines, crafts, art and independent media? For those of
      you who made it to the last Denver Zine Fest (DZF), we know you've
      been biting your nails all year in eager anticipation. If you
      missed the spectacular debut DZF, you're not going to want to have
      to wait another year.

      ***Sunday, March 25, 9am-1pm***
      Pancake Breakfast
      Iron Feather Bookshop, 4931 West 38th Ave
      Don't want this fabulous weekend to end? We don't either. Let's
      spend one more morning together as a zine community for delicious
      pancakes and rockin' DJs in an amazing bookstore.

      *** If you are interested in being a vendor at the Denver Zine Fest,
      check in with us soon – space is quickly running out! *** We're
      still looking for volunteers to help the day of the event. Check
      the website for volunteer opportunities. *** Stay up to date year-
      round at www.myspace.com/denverzinefest2007 *** Brought to you by
      the Denver Zine Library (www.denverzinelibrary.org) and Iron Feather
      Bookshop (ironfeather.com) ***

      For more information about the Denver Zine Fest, check out

      And another amazing event you won't want to miss!

      *** HOMOHOP WEST ***

      Join Bent Lens Cinema and Friends as we proudly present…

      HOMOHOP WEST – GLBT Hip Hop in the Rockies

      What: A Night of Mixed Media -- Film and Performance Art

      When: Saturday, April 14; 7:30pm Film Screening "Pick Up the Mic"

      Followed by: 9:30pm Live Performances from The Deep Dickollective,
      Paradigm, and more…

      Where: Denver, Turnhalle at The Tivoli (on the Auraria Campus/MSCD)

      "Pick Up the Mic"
      Director: Alex Hinton [95 Mins]

      Director Alex Hinton's moving portrayal of the emerging glbt hip
      hop, or `homohop,' movement showcases the growing genre and profiles
      many of the top queer hip hop artists who are creating this raw, new
      body of music. The film chronicles an amazing and unapologetic
      underground music movement, and the queer-identified
      singers/rappers/hip hoppers who are speaking out through their
      performance art – about their lives, their loves, and the homophobic
      music culture that surrounds us. We are treated to explosive clips
      of their live performances and behind the scene interviews, and see
      just how queer hip-hop defies the music industry's most homophobic

      Meet Juba Kalamka, the co-founder of the Deep Dickollective and
      Sugartruck Releasing, one of a number of new homohop recording
      labels. Learn Katastrophe's personal journey as a transman and
      spoken word artist; why Paradigm doesn't think she'll be invited to
      perform at the Dinah Shore Golf Classic; or why Johnny Dangerous
      will definitely never be invited to perform with Deadlee in most
      public settings! As Tim'm, co-founder of the Deep Dickollective
      says, "we have to make the music that we want to listen to, because
      it's not what we hear in the clubs."

      The film includes more from talents like Dutch Boy – creator of the
      first homohop online community, Rainbow Flava, JenRo, Marcus Rene
      Van, Tina G, and QBoy.

      You'll be clamoring for more as the film comes to an end.

      BUT WAIT! There IS more…

      Join Bent Lens Cinema and Friends after the film for

      *** LIVE *** performances from several of the top homohop talents
      featured in the film

      The Deep Dickollective – a men's hip hop collective from Oakland, DC
      and NY, featuring Juba Kalamka – co-founder of the D/DC and of Peace
      Out concerts in the Bay Area

      <www.myspace.com/deepdickollective> <www.myspace.com/jubakalamka>

      Paradigm – now a PhD candidate at NYU in Musical Arts, Shante Smalls
      knows how to turn a phrase, a lyric, and make it rhyme

      AND MORE!

      *** PLUS *** the Bent Lens Salon

      More details coming soon here and at www.bentlens.org

      AN EARLY SUMMER NIGHT'S PRIDE -- An Evening of Film and Frolic

      Where: The Nomad Theater, Quincy St. off N. Broadway, Boulder

      When: 7:30pm, Saturday June 2

      Bent Lens Cinema thanks our generous sponsors:

      The Open Door Fund of the Community Foundation Serving Boulder County

      Whole Pets – Supplying natural pet food and snacks for dogs and
      cats, across from the Whole Foods Market in Boulder

      Studio 3 Design – Boulder's Finest Bathroom and Kitchen Design Studio

      Boulder Valley Center for Dermatology – Experts in the science of
      healthy skin

      The Dairy Center for the Arts – Boulder's premier venue for the arts!

      HW Home -- Providing the finest in home furnishings along the Front
      Range in Boulder, Flatirons Crossing and Cherry Creek North

      Chello Foods -- Dip into something extraordinary with Chello Foods
      dips, appetizers and tapenades; sold exclusively at Whole Foods

      Bent Lens Cinema
      Boulder's Premier GLBTQ Film Society