Zoning Update for the Denver Zine Library

  • Kelly
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30 7:48 AM
      Hey all-

      I have some frustrating news.

      Background for those of you who haven't heard:
      Someone in the neighborhood complained about the zine library and so the neighborhood inpector found that we're breaking zoning laws.

      The bad news:
      I talked to the neighborhood inspector this morning and he let me know that we MUST have a cease and desist order put on the library. He is going to write it up on Monday or Tuesday, which means that we'll get a copy of it the following Monday or Tuesday. A copy will also go to my landlord (who is supportive of the space). We then have 15 days to bring it to the Board of Adjustments for an appeal. I was told that we probably won't be able to get a hearing until July. At that hearing, we'll have to prove why the library is important and that we have neighborhood support.

      The good news:
      The zine library does NOT have to close during this process.
      And... Jason Heller is willig to write up a follow up article about the obstacles we're facing, so that might be able to rally some support for the library in the community.

      What you can do:
      - We need people who are willing to go door to door in the Zine Library's neighborhood to tell folks about what the library is and to sign a petition saying that they support the library.
      - Sign up for shifts to keep the library open at all times.  That way we can show that we're reliable.
      - Pick up a petition sheet and have people sign it. There are going to be two kinds: one for the immediate neighbors and one for the community who uses the library.
      - Give me any other suggestions you have for how to handle this situation.

      Stay warm,
      kelly