Re: [denverzinelibrary] zinesters in Denver

  • Kelly Costello
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 13, 2003
      Hey Misun-

      Thanks for getting in touch with us!

      Jamez and I moved from Washington DC about 3 weeks ago
      and have been trying to get a feeling of what the zine
      scene is like here. We don't want to be coming in and
      stepping on people's toes with our ideas. For, now, it
      seems that there is interest in a zine library and one
      doesn't exist yet. We've both gone through the
      volunteer training at Breakdown (I'm actually here
      now), and we've talked to a bunch of people about the
      zine library idea on Monday night at the cut and paste
      zine tour. We met someone who says she's working with
      Paul from Double Entendre on maybe starting a library-
      so, we'll have to check in with him to see what
      they're thinking. Thanks for those suggestions. It's
      been great getting ideas from folks and knowing that
      some of the time, it seems we're looking in the right
      places.

      I've been cataloging zines for a while now (over 750
      done) and I still have a bunch more. I remember seeing
      a few King Cat Comics in there, but I'm not sure if
      I've seen any Tearjerker. I wonder if you'd be up for
      a trade...

      Currently, I have 3 zines:
      Do As I Say, Not As I Do: Family Lessons to Unlearn is
      about bringing a transgender boyfriend home to meet my
      family over Thanksgiving

      Bodily Fluids #1 is about a somewhat traumatic
      experience of peeing myself in kindergarten

      These Hands Can... was put together at my summer camp-
      I read some campers and counselors a story called
      these hands and afterwards had each person write or
      draw on a quarter sheet what their hands can do.

      Jamez (who writes as Vermicious Knid) has been making
      zines for years: Sex, Death and Ronald McDonald; Burn
      in Hell, Buddy; Limited Delivery Area; Great Plastic
      Elevator (an audiozine) and more...

      Do have any interest in a zine library, any
      suggestions, ideas, etc? We'd love to hear what you
      think.

      Have a great day,
      kelly

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com