Meeting Minutes 9/28/03

  • Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2003

      Zine Library Planning Meeting � September 28th, 2003

      In Attendance: Kelly, Paul, Molly, Jeremiah, Morgan, Jenni

      Library as Resource Center

      • For now, we should have basic zine-making supplies accessible: stapler, tape, glue stick, markers, paper clips, pens, pencils, etc.
      • Once we are up and running, we can revisit the ideas of getting a photocopier or large furniture.

      Books

      • Only books directly related to zines or zinesters will be included.
      • This includes (but is not limited to) The Zine Yearbook, Reader�s Guide to the Underground Press, how to start a zine books and books written by zinesters.

      Fundraising

      • See the minutes from the 9/14/03 meeting for other ideas.
      • Zines will be sold only if there is already one copy in the library.
      • There will be a �for sale� shelf in the library.  This will include doubles of zines that are already in the library or any zines people donate to be sold.  All profits go to the zine library.
      • Rare zines can be auctioned online.
      • Grant writing � Do we need non-profit status?
        • There is a possibility that we can exist under the umbrella of Breakdown & use their 501c3 number. (Morgan will check in with Breakdown.
      • Make and sell t-shirts and other items using Paul�s silk-screening stuff.
      • Sell zines, t-shirts, etc at Breakdown and Double Entendre
      • Bake sale
      • Yard sale
      • We will not be asking for money from Rich Mackin�s book tour for several reasons.  There hasn�t been enough discussion around the sexual assault accusations.  We will not ask touring events to have benefits for the library; instead we�ll focus on the local scene.  If you are interested in having a discussion about the accusations, we have the zine created by the accusers and you can also read a piece by Rich at http://www.richmackin.org/Projects/ABC/ABC.html

      Check-out System

      • This needs to be revisited during the next meeting.  There is some discomfort surrounding the idea of zines not coming back.
      • Should we lend zines out at all?
      • Should people have to sign-in in order to prove that they�ll come back?
      • Should there be a �membership fee� that can be waived if someone can�t afford it?
      • Should we ask for something in return for the zines taken out?  If the zines don�t come back, we get to keep/sell the item left with us.

      Future Discussions

      • Furniture
      • Paul�s silk screening stuff
      • Will books have their own section or will they be filtered into the zines in the appropriate section?
      • Will there be a �reference section� of zines that cannot be taken out?  Either because they are rare or in poor condition.
      • What general rules will be listed on a poster for the zine library?

      Wish List

      • Photocopier
      • Typewriters
      • Coffeepot (Paul)
      • Spinning rack for zine display (Jeremiah)
      • Hot pot for tea (Jenni)
      • Endless supply of tea and coffee (Jeremiah or dumpster)
      • Shelf for zines to face out (Paul)
      • Lights on side of house and in back
      • A path on the side of the house: cement pavers / flagstone (Morgan check with friend; Paul check on backyard of Double Entendre)

      Work Party

      • There will be a work party on Sunday, October 5, 2003.
      • Due to other meetings and commitments, the hours for the work party will be noon to 7pm.
      • 7pm is when the work party ends.  Please come earlier if you plan on contributing.

      Next Meeting

      • The next meeting will be on October 12, 2003.  Some people may not be able to make it due to Transform Columbus Day Events that weekend.
      • Agenda Items:
        • What hours will the library be open?
        • What should we do with doubles of zines?
        • Check out procedures
        • Selling zines
        • Soliciting zines (for the library and to sell)
        • Returning zines to their original owners if absolutely necessary
        • Keywords / Location categories
      • Please come with any other agenda items.
      • Please look over the list of Keywords and Locations.  Make note if you think any are unnecessary or if there are any that should be added.

      Location

      These categories are where the zines will be physically found in the library.  Each zine can only have one �Location.�  When there are many zines by one person or many in a series, they will be listed separately.  This is why there are some names of people and names of zines on this list.

      • Ancient Wisdom Press
      • Art
      • Art & Poetry
      • Audiozines
      • Billy McKay
      • Catalog
      • How To
      • Clamor
      • Coloring Books
      • Comics
      • Fiction
      • Film
      • Food
      • Foreign Language
      • Health
      • History
      • Humor
      • Marymark Press
      • Maximum Rock �N� Roll
      • Michael Goetz
      • Musea
      • Music
      • Perzine
      • Poetry
      • Politics
      • Prison
      • Queer
      • Reviews
      • Sex
      • Survivors
      • Word Watchers / Grammar Q & A / Word Play
      • Miscellaneous

      Keywords

      Each zine will have as many keywords listed as are applicable.  Many their keywords will include their �Location.�  This will not be the case when the Location is the name of a person or a zine.  For this reason, many of the Keywords are repeats of the Locations, but there are also additions.

      • Alcohol / Drugs
      • Anarchist
      • Animal Rights
      • Art
      • Audiozine
      • Catalog
      • Coloring Books
      • Comics
      • Family
      • Fiction
      • Film
      • Food
      • Foreign Language
      • Health
      • History
      • How To
      • Humor
      • Interview
      • Labor
      • Music
      • Perzine
      • Poetry
      • Politics
      • Prison
      • Queer
      • Race / Culture
      • Relationships
      • Reviews
      • Science
      • Sex
      • Survivors
      • Transgender
      • Travel
      • Word Watchers / Grammar Q & A / Word Play
      • Work

    • dani drake
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 28, 2003

        I was sorry to have missed the meeting. Thank you (Kelly I assume) for posting the notes. Everyone take care.

        Peace,

        dani :)

        High-speed Internet access as low as $29.95/month*. Click here.
        *Depending on the local service providers in your area.