DZL's September/October 2012 Updates

  • kelly shortandqueer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2012
      Dear friends of the Denver Zine Library,

      We have an exciting fall coming up! Be sure to check out our upcoming events and read about our recent successes!

      * Thursday, October 4 – Fly Away Zine Mobile in Denver
      * Saturday, October 6 – Albuquerque Zine Fest
      * Wednesdays, October 17 AND 24 – 2-session zine classes at Lowbrow
      * Sunday, October 28 – Fall Harvest Festival dinner fundraiser
      * Saturday, November 3 – Don’t Leave Your Friends Behind: Concrete Ways to
      * Wednesdays, November 28 AND December 5 – 2-session zine classes at Lowbrow
      * Recent events!
      * Wishlist: Bookshelves
      * T-shirts and Tote Bags for Sale!
      * Looking for volunteers
      * Visit during open hours!

      ********** Thursday, October 4 – Fly Away Zine Mobile in Denver **********
      7-9:30pm
      At the Denver Zine Library – 2727 West 27th Avenue, Denver CO

      Come check out the amazing Fly Away Zine Mobile when it comes to the Denver Zine Library! Look through the zines in this mobile collection and join us for a possible impromptu zine reading!

      The Fly Away Zine Mobile is a free lending library, self-publishing skill-sharer, and mini reading room that travels around North America, organizing/supporting events around literacy and self-publishing and hosting open library/reading hours. There are currently about 1,500 zines in the collection; current sections include Do-It-Yourself/How-To; Healing and Wellness; Prisons/By Prisoners; Personal/ Autobiographical; Comics/Drawings; Cooking/Food; Field Guides/Place-Related; Political; Parenting; Zines by Kids; Poetry; Librarian-Made Zines; and Animal-Related Zines. More info at http:// zinemobile.wordpress.com/

      ********** Saturday, October 6 – Albuquerque Zine Fest **********
      This year, we’re excited to have a few zine librarians attending the Albuquerque Zine Fest. Check out all of their awesome pre-events and the great line-up for the zinefest itself: http://abqzinefest.blogspot.com/

      ********** Wednesdays, October 17 AND 24 – 2-session zine classes at Lowbrow **********
      6-8pm
      $40 – Sign up by contacting Lowbrow at 303-722-1797 or info@...
      250 Broadway, Denver CO

      Haven’t you always wanted to learn how to make a zine? Are your ideas ready to go on paper? Well, here’s your chance! Join us for two consecutive Wednesdays, (October 17 and 24) from 6-8pm to learn about zines, check out different styles and formats, and get started on your very own! Of course, we’d love to add a copy to our collection when you’re finished!

      ********** Sunday, October 28 – Fall Harvest Festival dinner fundraiser **********
      4:30pm activities
      5:30pm dinner
      Dinner by donation
      2727 West 27th Avenue, Denver CO – entrance around the right side of the building

      The Denver Zine Library is housed in the 27 Social Centre and we’re excited to do collective fundraising for our building, along with the other amazing organizations housed there. Featuring Cider and Other Brews, Seasonal Dishes, Family-Friendly Entertainment, and more! Events begin at 4:30, dinner at 5:30. A donation-based Secret Cafe fundraiser for the projects in the 27 Social Centre.

      ********** Saturday, November 3 – Don’t Leave Your Friends Behind: Concrete Ways to Support Families In Social Justice Movements and Communities **********
      6:30pm potluck, reading and maybe even a puppet show!
      At the Denver Zine Library – 2727 West 27th Avenue, Denver CO

      China Martens will read from her new book "Don't Leave Your Friends Behind," joined by local contributor Clayton Dewey.  Potluck and activities for children - all ages community event!

      How do we create new, non-hierarchical structures of support and mutual aid and include all ages in the struggle for social justice? There are many books on parenting, but few on how to be a good community member and a good ally to parents, caregivers, and children as we collectively build a strong all-ages culture of resistance. Many well-intentioned childless activists don’t interact with young people on a regular basis and don’t know how.

      Don’t Leave Your Friends Behind is a collection of concrete tips, suggestions, and narratives on ways that non-parents can support parents, children, and caregivers in their communities, social movements, and collective processes. It brings in voices often missing in many social justice movements, including those from children involved in an occupation for a school library; trans and genderqueer parents; parents of children with developmental disabilities; doulas supporting incarcerated mothers; and childcare collectives across the country. Respecting, valuing, and sharing caregiving work builds a healthier community for all.

      Let's build an all-ages, inclusive revolution that leaves no one behind!

      China Martens is a proud single mother of a grown daughter and a founding member of Kidz City, a radical childcare collective in Baltimore, Maryland. Her first book is The Future Generation: A Zine-Book for Subculture Parents, Kids, Friends, and Others (Atomic Book Company, 2007).

      ********** Wednesdays, November 28 AND December 5 – 2-session zine classes at Lowbrow **********
      6-8pm
      $40 – Sign up by contacting Lowbrow at 303-722-1797 or info@...
      250 Broadway, Denver CO

      Haven’t you always wanted to learn how to make a zine? Are your ideas ready to go on paper? Well, here’s your chance! Join us for two consecutive Wednesdays, (November 28 and December 5) from 6-8pm to learn about zines, check out different styles and formats, and get started on your very own! Of course, we’d love to add a copy to our collection when you’re finished!

      ********** Recent events! **********
           - 8/25, Roll in the Hay, a country dance night – We made one month’s rent while learning line dances. Many thanks to Loren for securing food and drink donations, Spices Café (http://www.spicescafe.com/) for their donation, and to Eugene and Liz for teaching the line dances!
           - 9/6, Open house with the Denver Community Health Collective (http://www.denverhealthcollective.com/) – We had a cozy crowd, bringing some new faces into the zine library and several people borrowed zines!
           - 9/20, Zine class at Lowbrow (http://www.lowbrowdenver.com/) – Last week, we had the first of a 2-session zine class and it was super exciting! We made mini-zines and are looking forward to making half-size zines this week. We already have two more dates set, so sign up on Lowbrow’s website!

      ********** Wishlist: Bookshelves **********
      We’re running out of space on our bookshelves! Of course, this means that we continue to get amazing support through zine donations, but we’ll soon need more bookshelves to keep up with the growing collection. Do you have bookshelves you’d be willing to donate or know someone else getting rid of shelves? Please contact us at denverzinelibrary@...

      ********** T-shirts and Tote Bags for Sale! **********
      As you know we had a hugely successful online fundraiser last February, raising over $3,500! We finally filled the perks for our generous donors and have some brand designs for DZL t-shirts and tote bags (see the attached photos to this e-mail). They’re $10 each and we currently have t-shirts in size S, M, L, XL and 2XL.

      ********** Looking for volunteers **********
      Do you have a few hours to spare once a month? The Denver Zine Library is looking for volunteers! Help keep the DZL open on weekends, learn how to catalog donated zines in our database, plan a fundraiser, or bring your ideas! E-mail denverzinelibrary@... to set up a 30-minute orientation.

      ********** Visit during open hours! **********
      The Denver Zine Library is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 11am-3pm at the 27 Social Centre (2727 W. 27th Avenue). We’re located through the street entrance with the door marked 2727!  Come check us out, read some zines on our comfy couch and borrow some zines to read at home!