Denver Zine Library's April 2011 Updates

  • denverzine library
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2011

      Dear friends of the Denver Zine Library,

      Look what’s coming up at the DZL…

      * Community Zine Workshop Series – Dates Set!
      * DZL wins Best Rebound in Best of Westword
      * Awesome recent events
      * Looking for volunteers
      * Visit during open hours!

      * Set up an event or bring your class to the DZL

      ********** Community Zine Workshop Series **********

      Are you ready to take the plunge and make your first zine? Or have you been wanting to put out a new issue? Looking for some motivation? The Denver Zine Library has set up a zine workshop series where people can come and work on writing, share ideas about formatting/binding and more!

      All sessions take place on Sundays (see dates and themes below). We’ll have structured time from 11am-12pm and then the zine library will be open until 5pm if you’d like to stay, keep working, check out the collection. All sessions are free. We may even host a zine release/reading to celebrate, but there is no pressure to participate.

      - July 10, Develop zine concept

      - July 24, Writing

      - August 7, Editing content

      - August 21, Formatting

      - September 4, Binding

      You don’t have to come to every session, but it is encouraged, especially for first-time zine-makers. Please let us know if you’re planning on attending by e-mailing denverzinelibrary@....

      ********** DZL wins Best Rebound in Best of Westword **********

      After being closed for about a year, the Denver Zine Library is back and better than ever. Even the Westword thinks so! We recently won the Best Rebound Award in the Best of Westword. Check out the write-up here: http://www.westword.com/bestof/2011/award/best-rebound-1770238/

      ********** Awesome recent events **********

      Thanks to everyone who has supported the recent events happening at the Denver Zine Library!

      Cristy Road read for about 50 enthusiastic folks who came to check out her reading and amazing artwork. She had us cracking up at her stories about Green Day and Jerry Orbach.

      We hosted three zine classes with the Rocky Mountain College of Art and Design – thanks to Nikki and Jaime for bringing your students and for the zine donations!

      The 27 Social Centre (where the DZL is housed) hosted a Bingo night as a fundraiser earlier this month. Everyone had a really great time and a bunch of winners walked out with some extra cash! Keep an eye out for future Bingo nights as a way to support all of the incredible projects located at the 27 Social Centre.

      ********** Looking for volunteers **********

      Do you have a few hours to spare once a month? The Denver Zine Library is looking for volunteers! Help keep the DZL open on weekends, learn how to catalog donated zines in our database, plan a fundraiser, or bring your ideas! E-mail denverzinelibrary@... to set up a 30-minute orientation.

      ********** Visit during open hours! **********

      The Denver Zine Library is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 1-5pm and is located inside the 27 Social Centre (2727 W 27th Ave – entrance around right side of building). Come check us out, read some zines on our comfy couch and borrow some zines to read at home!

      ********** Set up an event or bring your class to the DZL **********

      Have an event in mind and are looking for a venue? Want to plan a fundraiser for the Denver Zine Library? Do you teach a class and want to bring them on a field trip to the DZL? Contact denverzinelibrary@... to chat with a zine librarian about making this happen!

      --
      Denver Zine Library
      www.denverzinelibrary.org