Denver Zine Library February 2011 Updates

  • denverzine library
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3 7:31 PM

      Dear friends of the Denver Zine Library,

      Look what’s coming up at the DZL…

      * February 6 – 5th Annual Superbowl Chili Cookoff (THIS SUNDAY!!!)

      * February 21 – Drugs and Daydreams (co-sponsored with DABC)

      * March 24 – Reading by Cristy Road at the DZL

      * Community Zine Workshop Series

      * Visit during open hours!

      ********** February 6 – 5th Annual Superbowl Chili Cookoff **********

      Sunday, February 6 · 1-5pm

      At the Denver Zine Library, 2727 W 27th Ave (entrance around right side of building)

      ENTERING YOUR CHILI
      * Please e-mail denverzinelibrary@... if you would like to enter your chili and let us know if you’ll be providing a vegetarian or a meat chili
      *If you enter the competition, you eat for free
      * Be prepared to bring your cooked chili to the Denver Zine Library for the start of the event at 1pm
      * There will be prizes for the chili that receives the most votes (one in the vegetarian and one in the meat category)
      * Kevin, one of the Denver Zine Librarians, has been the reigning champ for the last few Chili Cookoffs – bring your best recipe to challenge him for the DZL Chili Crown!

      JUDGING/EATING CHILI
      * Come anytime between 1 and 5pm to taste the entries – come early to make sure you get to try them all!
      * We’re asking for a $3-5 suggested donation for all-you-can-eat chili
      * We’ll provide the sour cream, cheese, etc
      * There will be both meat and vegetarian categories

      THE SUPERBOWL
      * For those of you who want to enjoy chili AND catch the Superbowl, kick off is at 4:30 Mountain Time. And it looks like it’s going to be an exciting game between the Steelers and Packers…

      CHECK US OUT IN THE WESTWORD
      http://www.westword.com/events/denver-zine-library-super-bowl-chili-cookoff-1727508/

      ********** February 21 – Drugs and Daydreams **********

      Monday, February 21 · 7pm

      At the 27 Social Centre, 2727 W 27th Ave (entrance around right side of building)
      Co-sponsored with the Denver Anarchist Black Cross

      Drugs and Daydreams - The Book! is out!

      It's finally done - after 24,000 scammed photocopies, individually relief-printing each cover, hours upon hours spent stitching page blocks, and countless paper cuts... A handbound hardcover book compiling the zines, Drugs and Daydreams, Here Civilization Ceased, and Bring On The Dancing Horses. 280 pages in length.

      For more info, check out www.drugsanddaydreams.net

      ********** March 24 – Reading by Cristy Road at the DZL **********

      Thursday, March 24 · 8pm

      At the Denver Zine Library, 2727 W 27th Ave (entrance around right side of building)

      We’re thrilled to announce that Cristy Road is coming to the Denver Zine Library for a reading. You won’t want to miss this amazing night. She’s the author of Green Zine, Indestructible, Distance Makes the Heart Grow Sick and Bad Habits.

      From her website: “Cristy C. Road is floating in a pool of her own blood, sweat, and occasional tears. Road is a 28-year-old Cuban-American artist and writer. Blending social principles, sexual deviance, mental inadequacies, and social justice- she thrives to testify the beauty of the imperfect.” Read more about Cristy Road at http://aidandabet.org/roster/cristy-road/

      ********** Community Zine Workshop Series **********

      Are you ready to take the plunge and make your first zine? Or have you been wanting to put out a new issue? Looking for some motivation? The Denver Zine Library is working on setting up a zine workshop series where people can come and work on writing, share ideas about formatting/binding and more! Interested? Contact denverzinelibrary@... so we can pick some dates that work for the most people. Maybe we can even have a big release party to celebrate the zine-y goodness we’re bringing to Denver…

      ********** Visit during open hours! **********

      The Denver Zine Library is open on Saturdays and Sundays from 1-5pm and is located inside the 27 Social Centre (2727 W 27th Ave – entrance around right side of building). Come check us out, read some zines on our comfy couch and borrow some zines to read at home!

      --
      Denver Zine Library
      www.denverzinelibrary.org