APRIL!! Books, Brunch, Music, Sent(a)mental Studios & Starfest Comics!

  • annami_ysh
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 18, 2009

      Hello dear friends,

      Please check out the information below. Look forward to seeing you soon!

      Call for your old books!

      It's time for some spring cleaning! Do you have any used books that you are ready to pass onto others or just get rid of?

      The Denver Zine Library will be hosting a used book sale on Saturday May 16th and 17th and we sure could use your books! We are looking for all kinds of books - fiction, non fiction, comics, autobiographies, children's, foreign language, cookbooks and lots more - whatever you are willing to pass along.

      If you have books that you would like to contriubte, please drop them off at the library during its open hours (Saturdays and Sundays between 1pm and 5pm). Or get in contact with one of the librarians/volunteers. You can also contact Anna at: a.inazu AT gmail DOT com.

      We are looking to have all book donations by Sunday, May 10th.

      The Denver Zine Library

      2nd Annual Used Book Sale at the Denver Zine Library

      Saturday, May 16th from 1-5pm

      (The Book Sale will also take place on Sunday, May 17th from 1-5pm if there are remaining books)

      The Other Side Arts

      1644 Platte Street (in the alley and inside the library)

      Paperbacks - $1

      Hardcover - $2

      * Zine doubles will also be for sale!

      Brunch, Bake Sale and Live Music!

      Sunday, May 24th

      Come hang out, enjoy some delicious baked goods and listen to some music from Kevin, our very own zine librarian.

      Details to follow…

      Other News and Information

      Are you an artist looking for studio space?

      Word has it…The Other Side Arts (TOSA), home of the Denver Zine Library, has a few spaces available for rent in the $300 range. There is a new application process for those interested in getting on the waiting list.

      If interested, fill out an application online at: http://theothersidearts.org/?page_id=4438

      News from Sent(a)mental Studios

      Please check out this video with some of the submissions for the Sent(a)mental Project, created by one of our zine librarians – Dylan Scholinski:

      Here's a note from Dylan about the video:

      Be sure to click the HQ button in the lower part of the panel...this allows you to see it in the best quality (ie. able to read the text)

      I would really love to hear your feedback... so let me know what you think.

      In addition to that may I request that you please help Sent(a)Mental Studios out by:

      1) Forwarding this video on to all your friends and social networks. getting the word out is key.

      2) If you have any contacts for speaking engagement or showing opportunities... hook us up.

      3) If you find yourself in a good enough place to make any kind of donation and/or submission to the project. Please, we could really use the help and support to keep these projects going.

      4) I have attached the images for the Sent(a)Mental Studios Brochure.

      Check it out... and if you have access to a copy machine... feel free to print and distribute.

      5) check out the website and again let your friends and contacts know about it... and encourage them to do the same.

      Check out this Video Zine from the Sent(a)mental Youth Project – it's still in progress, but here's a sneak peek and a little bit of info about the youth project!

      Sent(a)Mental Studios -Youth Project
      Music By - Modest Mouse
      Produced and Edited - Dylan Scholinski
      Featuring - Various creative expressions from the Mental (St)ealth Class - Facilitated by Dylan Scholinski at The Jefferson County Open School over the 2008-2009 school year.

      Sent(a)Mental Studios Youth Project provides open studio hours as well as one-on-one sessions with various Denver Metro at-risk youth , referred by various youth outreach organizations and schools. The project begins with an open hour where artist/founder Dylan Scholinski discusses his life and art. Students then work with Dylan to create their own works ( ie: drawing, painting, writing, music, performances, zines, storytelling, etc. ) to express their own lives and stories; we attempt to catch those that are falling through the cracks of the cracks and to help students reclaim their creative voices and find the power and pride in those voices in a safe and supportive space.

      (c) dylan scholinski 2009

      Updates from John P. at King Cat Comics!

      Some of these dates may have already passed, but check out the ones that haven't J

      Note from John:

      Just a reminder that this weekend is the big STARFEST Comics Show, down in the Tech Center.  Thanks to my good buddy Noah Van Sciver, who offered to let me share his table space, I've decided to attend...  although if I get too depressed I may not make it all the way to Sunday.

      Here's the info:

      Friday, April 17th, 6-10pm

      Saturday, April 18th, 10am-6pm

      Sunday, April 19th, 10am-6pm

      A one-day pass is $10; three-day pass is $15.

      Hilton Garden Inn

      7675 East Union Ave.

      Denver, Colorado, USA 80237

      Tel: 303-770-4200

      From Downtown:  Take I-25 south to I-225, east to Denver Tech Center Boulevard, south to Union.  West on Union to site (Union and Syracuse).

      OK Cool--  C-YA There?

      * * *

      Lastly:  Everybody should go see PATRICK PORTER play his great music at a bunch of upcoming gigs:

      T 4/14: Hi-Dive w/ Clem Snide and Heligoats, 9 PM

      Th 4/16: Dikeou Collection, 1615 California St., Suite 515, 7 PM

      Sat 4/25: Wax Trax w/ Veronica and Bluebelles, 5:30 PM

      Patrick is a genius!  Come on out and give him a reason to stay in our sad little cowtown!

      LOVE  John P.

      King-Cat Comics and Stories:

      P.O. Box 18888 / Denver, CO / 80218 / U.S.A.

      website:  www.king-cat.net