The missing pieces in our Educational system

  • Lupkes, Chad
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2005
      Steve,

      I would like to ask your guests about the lack of Critical Thinking, Ethics and Civics in primary, secondary and post-secondary education. While I understand the importance to the bottom line of industry to have students come out of the public school system with the science based knowledge that can help them make money, I think our society has deeply suffered due to the lack of instruction to give people the ability to think critically, establish relationships in an ethical manner and participate fully in our society beyond the simple fact of their economic status.

      The basics of Ethics includes Logic, which leads to an understanding of the mechanism behind Math before the students get into memorization of formulas. The basics of Critical Thinking leads to an understanding of the mechanism behind Science, before the students get into memorization of the various scientific facts. And the basics of Civics leads to an understanding of how our society works, which is much more meaningful than the memorization of dates, places and names.

      Is it the lack of testing apparatus that prevents these subjects from being taught in our schools?

      Chad A. Lupkes
      11401 Roosevelt Way NE #12
      Seattle, WA 98125
      H - (206) 440-1592