Democrats.com Daily News for December 18, 2000

  • news@democrats.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 17, 2000
      ___DEMOCRATS.COM____Connecting Dot Com Democrats_________________

      The community site for America's 100 million Democrats.
      Please forward this newsletter to every Democrat you know!
      For more detail on these and other stories, visit our site:
      http://democrats.com

      ___.COMPOSITION______In This Issue_______________________________

      Read This Article and Weep! Gore Won by More than 500,000 Votes!

      When Will the Democratic Leaders Protest the Theft of the Presidency?

      January 20th is Protest Day

      Nobody Says It Better than Anthony Lewis

      Supreme Court Decision Explained for Non-lawyers

      What's this about the Great Unifier?

      Already the Conservatives are Yapping Away!

      How Much Does a Bush Ambassadorship Cost?

      Behind the Gore Florida Strategy

      ___.COMMENT__________In Partnership with BuzzFlash.com___________

      __Read This Article and Weep! Gore Won by More than 500,000 Votes!

      "While losing the Electoral College and the presidency to George W. Bush, Al Gore actually is leading the popular vote by more than half a million votes, making this only the second-closest race of the last century. Gore's margin, according to an Inquirer review of the latest official numbers posted by each state, is 540,435 votes - a wider spread than John F. Kennedy enjoyed over Richard Nixon in 1960. Most news organizations, including The Inquirer, had been reporting in recent weeks that Vice President Gore led in the popular vote by 337,576. Those numbers reflected totals announced by each state in the days following the election, but they did not yet include late-arriving absentee ballots in a number of states, most important, California. Now, according to The Inquirer's review, Gore has 50,977,109 votes to 50,436,674 for Bush."
      http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2000/12/15/national/COUNT15.htm

      __When Will the Democratic Leaders Protest the Theft of the Presidency?

      With each new revelation, the outrage should be growing. We know that Scalia's two sons are benefitting from their law firms working directly on the Bush legal assault on Al Gore's victory at the polls. We know that Clarence Thomas's wife was collecting resumes for the Bush administration. Now, Newsweek confirms that Sandra Day O'Connor shouted "this is terrible" when Florida was called for Gore early on Election Eve. Her husband explained to the surprised party goers that the O'Connors wanted to retire to Arizona, but if Gore won Sandra would stay on four more years just to keep Gore from appointing a "Democrat" jurist. When will Daschle, Gephardt and the rest start fighting for justice? The Supreme Court ruling that stole the presidency for Bush was worse than common burglary. It was a violation of our Constitutional guarantee of "electing" a President. It was, in a word, treason.
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20001217/ts/election_oconnor_dc_1.html

      __January 20th is Protest Day

      While the Bush team plans their lavish balls, more than 300 groups are planning to protest Dubya's election. That will be democracy at its best.
      http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001214/pl/bush_protests_dc_1.html

      __Nobody Says It Better than Anthony Lewis

      Anthony Lewis weighs in on the Supreme Court ruling, and no one says it better.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/16/opinion/16LEWI.html

      __Supreme Court Decision Explained for Non-lawyers

      If the Supreme Court decision not to permit Florida to conduct the recount that Florida law requires confused you, then this is essential reading. Our reaction? Don't confirm a single new judge until 2004 -- at the earliest!
      http://www.democrats.com/view.cfm?id=813

      __What's this about the Great Unifier?

      Hey, Dubya didn't do a whole lot about including Texas Democrats in his "victory" speech, unless they were already in his back pocket. So much for all the glorious speechifying about uniting and not dividing.
      http://www.salon.com/politics/feature/2000/12/14/ethics/index.html

      __Already the Conservatives are Yapping Away!

      It didn't take long at all. The conservatives are already yapping away. They're whining that they better get "their" cabinet positions or else. Hey, Nader, are you happy now?
      http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/15/politics/15CONS.html

      __How Much Does a Bush Ambassadorship Cost?

      Make that $682,000 and climbing. That's how much the taxpayers have paid thus far to pay for Katherine Harris's legal costs. That's a lot of taxpayer dollars to help Ms. Harris become the next ambassador to Luxembourg. By the way, on election eve, guess where she called from her cellphone. Austin, of course.
      http://inq.philly.com/content/inquirer/2000/12/15/national/COUNT15.htm

      __Behind the Gore Florida Strategy

      Gore's Florida strategy was brilliant, but guided by a concern about maintaining an image of integrity. That was certainly something the Bush campaign did not give a second thought about.
      http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/15/politics/15RECO.html

      Copyright (c) 2000 Democrats.com and/or its suppliers. All rights
      reserved.
    • news@democrats.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 18, 2000
        ___DEMOCRATS.COM____Connecting Dot Com Democrats_________________

        The community site for America's 100 million Democrats.
        Please forward this newsletter to every Democrat you know!
        For more detail on these and other stories, visit our site:
        http://democrats.com

        ___.COMPOSITION______In This Issue_______________________________

        No Surprises in Electoral College, But Get Ready for Fireworks on January 6

        Gephardt, Daschle, and Jackson Refuse to Legitimate W

        Boycott Time Magazine

        Regent Cheney Kills Bi-partisanship

        Karen Hughes Named Liar in Chief

        Who is Colin Powell?

        DUI Coverup Lawyer Al Gonzales Appointed White House Counsel

        William Raspberry of the Washington Post Explains Why Blacks Voted for Gore

        The Voice of the Working Man Calls it a Coup D'etat

        Forget the Pundits, Listen to the Rosen Family of Fox Point, Wisconsin

        Hey, We Deserve a Little Humor

        ___.COMMENT__________In Partnership with BuzzFlash.com___________

        __No Surprises in Electoral College, But Get Ready for Fireworks on January 6

        Despite eloquent appeals from Democratic activists, all 271 Republican Electors cast their votes today for W. But that's NOT all, folks! As Reuters reports, when Congress meets on January 6 to count the Electoral College votes, all it takes is 1 Representative and 1 Senator to challenge any state's Electors. And we at Democrats.com plan to spend the next 18 days exposing SEVERAL illegal and invalid slates and persuading Democrats to challenge and oppose them. We know we're taking on the mighty powers of the Republican Party and the corporate media, but we also know that truth is on our side, and you'll be there with us. So stay tuned for some awesome fireworks, because Democrats.com will not let W get away with the crime of the millenium!
        http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001218/ts/election_college_dc_3.html

        __Gephardt, Daschle, and Jackson Refuse to Legitimate W

        Under heavy fire from Tim Russert, Dick Gephardt, Tom Daschle, and Jesse Jackson refused to grant legitimacy to the Commander-in-Thief. You go, guys!
        http://washingtontimes.com/national/default-20001218215145.htm

        __Boycott Time Magazine

        To complete the media's supporting role in the Bush Coup, Time Magazine slobbered praise over W and named him "Person of the Year". As a matter of definition, this is ludicrous because W is not a person, but simply a joke. Cancel your subscriptions to Time and tell them W is not your President and never will be.
        http://www.time.com/time/poy2000/

        __Regent Cheney Kills Bi-partisanship

        On Sunday, Regent Cheney killed bi-partisanship before it even began by insisting the Cheney-Bush administration will not compromise on its right-wing agenda, starting with a $1.3 billion tax cut for the rich. "It's his [sic] program, his agenda and we have no intention at all of backing off of it," Cheney told the CBS "Face the Nation" program. "It's why we got elected [sic]. So we're going to aggressively pursue" it.
        http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20001217/pl/bush_agenda_dc_2.html

        __Karen Hughes Named Liar in Chief

        Karen Hughes, who tells George W. Bush what to say and do, was given the official title of "Counselor to the President." It's a rather fitting title - like a camp counselor, Shrub's parents put her in charge of their irresponsible little boy.
        http://www.cnn.com/2000/ALLPOLITICS/stories/12/17/hughes.profile.reut/index.html

        __Who is Colin Powell?

        Colin Powell launched his career as a gung-ho commander in Vietnam. He never harbored any doubts about killing Vietnamese soldiers - or civilians. "We burned down the thatched huts, starting the blaze with Ronson and Zippo lighters. Why were we torching houses and destroying crops? Ho Chi Minh had said the people were like the sea in which his guerrillas swam. ... We tried to solve the problem by making the whole sea uninhabitable. In the hard logic of war, what difference did it make if you shot your enemy or starved him to death?"
        http://www.consortiumnews.com/121700a.html

        __DUI Coverup Lawyer Al Gonzales Appointed White House Counsel

        W promised to bring integrity to the White House. A key person in setting ethical standards is the White House Counsel. Unfortunately, W's nominee, Texas Supreme Court Justice Al Gonzales, was the lawyer who helped W cover up his DUI record when called for jury duty in 1996. Gonzales' court has also been an energetic administrator of the death penalty.
        http://www.hearstnp.com/san_antonio/bea/news/stories/san/storypage.cfm?xla=saen&xlb=980&xlc=118128&xld=120

        __William Raspberry of the Washington Post Explains Why Blacks Voted for Gore

        As to why Blacks voted in such large numbers for Gore, Raspberry says "When you're convinced that the church across the street is a shortcut to hell, your pastor doesn't have to offer much to keep you from bolting. It's enough for him to remind you just how terrible the other congregation is." Praise the Lord!
        http://washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A20040-2000Dec17.html

        __The Voice of the Working Man Calls it a Coup D'etat

        "This is the first time in the history of our nation that a coup d'etat has taken place--within our own borders. As defined in the dictionary, a coup d'etat is a violent or illegal change in government. We have experienced it in other countries; Chile, for instance. Augusto Pinochet's was a military coup.

        The coup that has brought us a new chieftain was civilian in form. As to its violence, it was not viscerally so, though some might maintain that depriving a citizen of his/her vote may be considered a violent act in a democracy." So writes celebrated Chicago author Studs Terkel in this Chicago Tribune op-ed piece.
        http://chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/voiceofthepeople/article/0,2669,SAV-0012170425,FF.html

        __Forget the Pundits, Listen to the Rosen Family of Fox Point, Wisconsin

        Sometimes, it's best to hear it from the Heartland. As we wrap up our postings of who readers want to run in 2004, we want you to read what a Wisconsin family has to say on the subject. You may agree or disagree, but you will realize how the "grand theft" of the presidency affected families throughout America.
        http://www.buzzflash.com/BuzzScripts/Buzz.dll/Content

        __Hey, We Deserve a Little Humor

        How about the Shammy Awards? The nominations were carefully screened and the winners chosen on the basis of merit. Here are just a couple: "Hester Prynne Certificate Of Virtue:
        Karen Hughes, PR flak for a guy who declined to serve in Vietnam, for attaching the term "anti-military" to a man who chose to serve in Vietnam.

        Richard Milhaus Nixon Truth In Advertising Award:
        James Baker, for educating America to the reality that counting dimpled chads in Texas is admirable, but counting dimpled chads in Florida is depraved, unpatriotic, and felonious."
        http://www.buzzflash.com/BuzzScripts/Buzz.dll/sub3