Fwd: Obituary - David G R Short

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
      We will miss Dave...he was a good man and a good friend.  I spoke to Jeanne this morning.

      Don...

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: "Jeanne Haley" <jchshort@...>
      Date: January 31, 2011 11:34:28 AM EST
      Subject: Obituary - David G R Short

      David G. R. Short

      Age 70, of Landenberg, PA died suddenly at home on January 28, 2011.

      He was born in Kapaau, HI, the son of Walter and Lena Short.  He attended school in the Kohala public school system and graduated from Kohala High School, where his parents were respected teachers, in 1958.  He was also a member of Kalahikiola Congregational Church.

      Dr. Short received his B.S., M.S., and Ph.D. degrees in Chemical Engineering from Purdue University, where he was a member of Triangle Fraternity (for engineering, architecture, and the sciences).  He served as an officer in the United States Army at Fort McClellan, AL in 1962-1964 during the time of the integration of the University of Alabama.

      Upon graduation, he joined the DuPont Company with assignments at Spruance VA, Washington Works WV, Corpus Christi TX, Chambers Works NJ, and Wilmington DE.  He retired from DuPont Engineering in 2002 with 37 years of service.   He then worked as a professor at the University of Delaware Chemical Engineering Department until his death.  He was a Professional Engineer and a member of the American Society of Chemical Engineers.

      He was involved with the Delaware Youth Soccer Association for over 20 years, serving as both a coach and the Delaware State Registrar.  Other interests include astronomy, high dynamic range photography, woodworking, computers, and travel.

      He was predeceased by his first wife of 39 years, Carolyn J. Short; parents Walter and Lena Short; and brother John P. Short.  He is survived by his current wife Jeanne C. Haley; son Jeffrey M. D. Short and wife Ilana of Cumming, GA;  daughter Jennifer S. Short of Magnolia, DE; brother Charles B. Short and wife Charlotte of Kenosha, WI; and grandson David Reed Short.

      A Celebration of Life will be held at Mealey Funeral Home, 2509 Limestone Road, Wilmington, DE on Thursday, February 3.  Visitation will be 12 noon to 1 pm with the memorial service beginning at 1 pm.

      In lieu of flowers, memorial gifts may be made to Helen Graham Cancer Center, 4701 Ogletown Stanton Road, Newark, DE 19713 and Kalahikiola Congregational Church, PO Box 159, Kapaau, HI 96755.  www.mealeyfuneralhomes.com

    • truittjs
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2011
        Thanks for passsing the sad news on Don. We will all miss our friend Dave. Jerry