Snowflakes

  • Paul Riley
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
      As to the current subject:

      Most 'flakes' appear the same to me.  They creep me out....

      Most snowflakes are different: there's dry, wet, biting, littl' uns , big uns.

      When is congress gonna outlaw the production , distribution, and possesion of snowflakes.

      They have laws agin a lot of other 'white' substances....

      Pj

      P.S.  The next newsletter may only be 1 page ( 1 side of a page ) based on current contributions....

      It would be appreciated if all y'all send sometine printable in to :

      now back to the snow channel....

      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
        I once read that, if you consider all the trillions of snowflakes in the millions of snowstorms in this planet's history, yes, it's likely that two snowflakes formed identically....

        Regards,

        Eric

        --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "Woody" <joecainjr@...> wrote:

        > I get perturbed at my equilibrium sometimes! But, i like snow, when it's somewhere else. Specially NJ.
        >

        > --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lecuyer <mjl@> wrote:
        > >
        > > The broader question is why are similar things like all galaxies, stars,
        > > trees, clouds, people and so on are not exactly the same.
        > >
        > > Self-organization systems, like snowflakes or galaxies, are influenced
        > > by sensitivity to initial conditions, efforts at self-similarity, and
        > > perturbed equilibrium among others.
        > >
        > > I offer a counter position: demonstrate that all conditions affecting a
        > > snowflake's growth could be repeated.
        > >
        > > Chaos theory might help answer your question. Fun stuff to think about.
        > > Most of us recall a short story 'A Sound of Thunder' by Ray Bradbury on
        > > time travel describing the Butterfly Effect.
        > >
        > > On 1/11/2011 11:04 AM, Don Surles wrote:
        > > > The question of the day:
        > > >
        > > > Since we have had a few snowflakes on the Peninsula this winter...here
        > > > is the question...
        > > >
        > > > Are all snowflakes really different?
        > > >
        > > > Your comments and answers are welcome.
        > > >
        > > > Don...

      • Steven Long
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
          On Jan 12, 2011, at 2:20 PM, Eric wrote:

          > I once read that, if you consider all the trillions of snowflakes in
          > the millions of snowstorms in this planet's history, yes, it's
          > likely that two snowflakes formed identically....

          That approaches the number of stars in all the galaxies in the
          universe. Does that mean that there are two perfectly-matched stars
          out there somewhere?

          Steve
        • dnorton618@yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 12, 2011
            I doubt that two atoms are exactly alike. How could two snowflakes be alike?

            Doug N

            From: Steven Long <longsteven@...>
            Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 14:27:15 -0500
            To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
            ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Re: Snowflakes

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 13, 2011
              To answer Doug Below:

              It depends on how close you look..

              Atoms have isotopes and charges, so yes, they differ.

              Stars that appear similar may have different elemental composition.

              Can two snowflakes, created under similar, but different, weather conditions be identical?

              Can 2 people have the same winning numbers for the Mega Millions?

              Can it warm up outside?

              These are tuff questions....
              Pj

              From: Steven Long <longsteven@...>