Tuckahoe Equestrian Center Friday Night, 12-3-10?

  • sarkikos56
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
      I am thinking about taking my 10" Newt to the Equestrian Center Friday night to bag some more DSO, weather permitting. This might be the last New Moon before we start getting all-night sub-freezing temps, snow and ice, until Spring next year. Blackbird is too far for me. Anyone interested?

      Mike
    • dnorton618@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
        I can probably make it. It's been a while since I've been to Tuckahoe. Come on guys. Let's get a troupe together and hit Tuckahoe.

        Doug N

        From: "sarkikos56" <sarkikos@...>
        Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:43:26 -0000
        To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
        ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Tuckahoe Equestrian Center Friday Night, 12-3-10?

        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
          Doug,

          I'll be there as long as the predictions are for at least average skies and not a lot of clouds. Fishing in sucker holes can be frustrating. I'll call the Park Office on Thursday if I'm going. I've gone the last couple months and the gate has been open both times. Last month, the light was already off when I arrived. I'm not sure if I'll try to get there around dusk or a few hours later. (I might sketch Jupiter if I get there early.) I'm mostly interested in the DSO that will be rising later. I've pretty much picked clean the Fall constellations.

          Mike

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, dnorton618@... wrote:

          > I can probably make it. It's been a while since I've been to Tuckahoe. Come on guys. Let's get a troupe together and hit Tuckahoe.
          >
          > Doug N
        • Douglas Norton
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
            I have picked the bones clean of all the constellations from Cetus all the way back into the Summer Sky as well as the polar constellations Cassiopeia and Cepheus. Now I am concentrating my efforts in the Milky Way region of the Winter Sky. From Canis Major up through Monoceros, Orion, Taurus, Auriga and Gemini. Open Cluster hunting grounds.

            If the weather looks good for Friday then I will be there before sunset.

            Doug Norton
            dnorton618@...
            http://www.douglasnorton.com

            I'll be there as long as the predictions are for at least average skies and not a lot of clouds. Fishing in sucker holes can be frustrating. I'll call the Park Office on Thursday if I'm going. I've gone the last couple months and the gate has been open both times. Last month, the light was already off when I arrived. I'm not sure if I'll try to get there around dusk or a few hours later. (I might sketch Jupiter if I get there early.) I'm mostly interested in the DSO that will be rising later. I've pretty much picked clean the Fall constellations.

            Mike

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, dnorton618@... wrote:

            > I can probably make it. It's been a while since I've been to Tuckahoe. Come on guys. Let's get a troupe together and hit Tuckahoe.
            >
            > Doug N

          • sarkikos56
            Message 5 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
              Ditto. There's quite a few OCs in Monoceros and Puppis that I haven't observed yet, though it may be a little early in the year for Puppis. Also, Eridanus is a good hunting ground for galaxies. Weather permitting, I'll try to be there before sunset. I'd rather set up the scope and tweak the collimation while there's still some light.

              Mike

              Message 6 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                Everyone needs to go out and take a look at NGC 2362 in Canis Major. It is a fantastic open cluster. You will be blown away by its shape.

                Doug Norton
                dnorton618@...
                http://www.douglasnorton.com

                  Message 8 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                    I've seen 2362 before, but I haven't looked at it yet this year. My notes say it's been called the Mexican Jumping Star. I think that refers to Tau CMa? I also have a note that says 2362 is like a "starburst of fireworks frozen in space."

                    Last month at Tuckahoe I saw 34 objects I'd never seen before (no goto or DSCs). I liked 2301, an OC in Mon. To me, it was a Flying Bee. I also enjoyed 2251, another OC in Mon. It looked like some kind of creature viewed from above, either a bull with horns or a slug extending its feelers! I finally saw the Cocoon Nebula in Cyg, IC 5146. I wasn't very impressed. The dark nebula leading up to it was more interesting.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                      Cocoon nebula still eludes me. I doubt I will see it with an 8-inch SC.

                      I think NGC 2362 looks like a triangle. The cluster's main shape is like a triangle.

                      Doug N

                      From: "sarkikos56" <sarkikos@...>
                      Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                      Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 03:00:43 -0000
                      To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>

                      Message 10 of 16 , Dec 1, 2010
                        You're not missing much. It might look impressive in a CCD image or in a bigger scope than mine or at a darker site, but so far for me it's no big deal. A guy on Cloudy Nights told me it looked great in his big binos at a blue/green site. Well, maybe so, but I don't think I'll waste much more time on it at Tuckahoe.

                      • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
                          There is a good chance I'll make the drive to T-hoe as well. See you folks there.

                          -Chuck

                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          From: "sarkikos56" <sarkikos@...>
                          Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                          Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2010 03:10:46 -0000
                          To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                          ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                          You're not missing much. It might look impressive in a CCD image or in a bigger scope than mine or at a darker site, but so far for me it's no big deal. A guy on Cloudy Nights told me it looked great in his big binos at a blue/green site. Well, maybe so, but I don't think I'll waste much more time on it at Tuckahoe.

                          Mike

                          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, dnorton618@... wrote:

                          > Cocoon nebula still eludes me. I doubt I will see it with an 8-inch SC.
                          >
                          > I think NGC 2362 looks like a triangle. The cluster's main shape is like a triangle.
                          >
                          > Doug N

                        • sarkikos56
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 2, 2010
                            I called the Park Office a little after 5pm. Nobody answered, but I left a message that I and probably other members of DSG would be at the Equestrian Center Friday night. For what it's worth, CSC is now (6pm Thurs) predicting average transparency for Friday night until about 11pm when it will be poor, but after midnight it is supposed to be above average. NOAA is now predicting mostly clear and 28 degrees.

                            Mike

                            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, chuckjennings33@... wrote:

                            > There is a good chance I'll make the drive to T-hoe as well. See you folks there.
                            >
                            > -Chuck
                            >

                            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                          • sarkikos56
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                              I'm not sure if I'm going to Tuckahoe tonight (Friday). It's 2pm now. CSC predicts overcast to below average transparency from now until 3am. TWC says the sky will clear about 9pm and be clear the rest of the night. NOAA predicts: "Mostly clear, with a low around 27. Northwest wind around 9 mph." AccuWeather.com calls for partly cloudy all night. You pays your money, you takes your chance.

                              Mike

                            • dnorton618@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                                I will probably stick close to Blackbird if it ends up being clear.

                                Doug N

                                From: "sarkikos56" <sarkikos@...>
                                Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 19:11:03 -0000
                                To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                                ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                                I'm not sure if I'm going to Tuckahoe tonight (Friday). It's 2pm now. CSC predicts overcast to below average transparency from now until 3am. TWC says the sky will clear about 9pm and be clear the rest of the night. NOAA predicts: "Mostly clear, with a low around 27. Northwest wind around 9 mph." AccuWeather.com calls for partly cloudy all night. You pays your money, you takes your chance.

                                Mike

                                --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "sarkikos56" <sarkikos@...> wrote:

                                > I called the Park Office a little after 5pm. Nobody answered, but I left a message that I and probably other members of DSG would be at the Equestrian Center Friday night. For what it's worth, CSC is now (6pm Thurs) predicting average transparency for Friday night until about 11pm when it will be poor, but after midnight it is supposed to be above average. NOAA is now predicting mostly clear and 28 degrees.
                                >
                                > Mike

                              • sarkikos56
                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                                  Tuckahoe is an hour trip one-way for me. Blackbird would be about one-and-a-half hours. I probably won't go at all unless the predictions improve. It's overcast here in Crofton, AA County, where I live. I might wait until about 8pm to go, and arrive about 9pm at Tukahoe. Like I said, the constellations that still have some meat on their bones for me won't come up until later.

                                • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 3, 2010
                                    I'm going to watch the weather and will go to blackbird if things stay clear.

                                    -Chuck

                                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                    From: "sarkikos56" <sarkikos@...>
                                    Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com