Fwd: [delmarvastargazers] mysterious shuttle pic [1 Attachment]

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2010
      Matt unraveled the mystery of how the image of the shuttle was taken from a satellite and made it's way to Earth.

      Don...

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Matthew Surles <minimicrite@...>
      Date: November 25, 2010 10:30:42 PM EST
      To: Don Surles <don.surles@...>
      Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] mysterious shuttle pic [1 Attachment]

      See wikipedia entry for STS-51; your picture is the same picture that's in the entry.  The satellite is the SPAS-ORFEUS (Shuttle Palette Service-Orbiting Retrievable Far and Extreme Ultraviolet Spectrometer).  NASA calls it ORFEUS-SPAS http://nssdc.gsfc.nasa.gov/nmc/spacecraftDisplay.do?id=1993-058C

      It was deployed and retrieved six days later, during the same shuttle mission.  Data was stored on tape, and was powered by batteries.  Looks like there were two IMAX cameras aboard: one on ORFEUS, one in the shuttle bay, for the movie "Destiny in Space"

      ORFEUS' telescope was German, and had a French 1 meter f/2.5 mirror.

      Image archive of the mission:

      On Thu, Nov 25, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Michael P. Borgia <mborgia@...> wrote:
      The image was taken from a camera on the SPAS ORPHEUS satellite in the STS 51 mission. The cradle in the aft if the payload bay supported the Advanced Communication Technolgy Satellite launched earlier in the mission.

      The dish on the left is Discovery's KU band antenna. Note the image is mirror reversed. The shuttle RMD is on the starboard side

      Michael

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Nov 25, 2010, at 9:21 AM, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Don Surles included below]

      here is a pic of the shuttle that "appeared" in my "stuff"...I don't know the origin but it is a medium format color slide/film - maybe shot with an Imax camera since the film has sprocket holes on each side. I assume it was shot from the ISS.

      it appears the crew had Dish Network TV...see the "dish" just in front of the left bay door.

      notice the heat shield "patch" job on the top surface of each wing.