Blackbird 29 October, 2010...

  • Douglas Norton
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2010
      Blackbird 29 October, 2010

      It was a pretty decent night for observing. It was very transparent. At times the seeing wasn't very steady but then it would settle down and I was able to split some tight double stars. There was a pretty good crowd who showed up at Blackbird. I started off with some serious observing, following a list I had made from my new books. But the clouds were in and out and sometimes covered the whole sky.

      I left the observing list I had made and took the opportunity to go through the showpiece objects and just enjoy the sights. I actually looked through other peoples' telescopes. Imagine that. I broke out the 20x80mm binoculars and checked out the really great stuff like the Double Cluster, the Pinwheel Galaxy, the Andromeda Galaxy, the Muscle Man Cluster, Kemble's Cascasde, the Dumbbell Nebula and the Pleiades. All were spectacular. I was amazed at how well a pair of big binoculars can show these objects.

      I packed it in early as the clouds decided to be more of a pain as the night wore on and I didn't feel like fighting the good fight.

      STF2985    Wide easy pair! But very pretty in a rich star field. Primary is blue/white and secondary is a decidedly obvious red. Best in 24mm Panoptic.

      BU 397    Pretty pair with a large difference in magnitudes. At the end of a chain of stars arranged in an arc. Primary is ivory. Secondary considerably fainter and appears blue. A really nice pair of stars. C component is too faint at 16th magnitude. Best view in 19mm Panoptic.

      STF 3    A tight pair. Primary is V342 And variable. Primary is white. Secondary is a bit fainter, not by a lot, and seems to be redder than the primary. Orange, maybe yellow. Best view in 19mm Panoptic.

      NGC 7686    Beautiful open cluster! A bright yellow star in the dead center! Outer bright members are arranged in a square. Fainter members are clumped in sparse groups. Best view is definitely in the 19mm Panoptic which makes the background black and the stars shine!

      NGC 609    Open cluster in Cassiopeia. Small and very faint. Barely brighter than the background sky. Only truly visible in 24mm Panoptic. 19mm Panoptic barely shows cluster and no resolvable stars. Right next to double star ADS 1249.

      ADS 1249    Faint double next to NGC 609. Primary is much brighter than secondary. White primary and very faint secondary seems blue. Tight separation. Best in 13mm Nagler.

      Stock 5    Large open cluster. Four bright stars in a large parallelogram encompassing the main cluster. Fainter members arranged in a circlet in the lower right of the main bright members. Very pretty and easily found. Best in 24mm Panoptic.

      Doug Norton
      dnorton618@...
      http://www.douglasnorton.com