Re: Saturday Stargaze

  • Art
    Message 1 of 29 , Oct 11, 2010
      Ditto Chuck!

      I bought a Chevy full size van with a Hi-Top conversion for the same
      reasons: to haul scopes to star parties and to sleep in after.

      Art

      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Jennings
      <chuckjennings33@...> wrote:

      > I'd be lying if I told you that the hobby didn't play a significant
      part in my decision to get a truck!]

      > Chuck
      >

      > ________________________________

      hold all the excess that fills your spare rooms and garage.

      > Oh, the pickup will need a locking top to enclose the bed sos'n you
      can leave a scope in there whilst at the mall.

      > The PU tailgate, with the door of the top raised, makes a very nice
      covered table to display your charts, eyepieces, binos, misc
      paraphernalia, and to sit down.

      > Don...
      >

      > On May 19, 2010, at 6:14 AM, Paul Riley wrote:

      > >Gentlemen,
      > >This is why they make little white utility trailers.
      > >'scopes up to 25 inch fit nicely. easily towed. Can be used
      as a mobile clubhouse if needed...

      > >You need to prioritize.
      > >
      > >Pj

      lightbridge, but the base is too big for my car. it is the best deal out
      there. a object locator is a must. It looks like the xx14'' is my best
      bet with price and the intellascope, but man your scope is great. so all
      in all, I'm still not sure. I would like a 16'' dob, but also need to
      feed my family!!!!! thanks for the views.

      > >>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
      Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
      Â Â Â Â Â Â Patrick

      > ________________________________

      past weekend influenced you in any direction? Just curious.....

      > >>Chuck
      > >>

      > ________________________________

      measure to see if It could fit in my ultima. I have looked at the xx14
      alot, I have the orion 10'' and love it, kinda want to jump to a 16''. I
      wonder if a sky commander would fit a lightbridge?

      > >>Â Â Â Patrick
      > >>

      > ________________________________

      but nothing I wasn't aware of before the purchase (counter balance
      issues and poor finder). It's tough to beat that apeture for the
      price, and the views I've gotten this far have been fantastic. The
      base is quite large, but I have fit everything in my wife's Ford
      edge with no issues (with one of the back seats down). I have a
      truck so the base size is not much of an issue for me. Have you
      thought about the Orion XX14? It has the push to encoder system
      and a collapsable base which may address your space constraints.

      > >>You can check the 16" out on Saturday.... .I'm thinking
      about getting there around 5 to set up the grill and my scopes.

      > ________________________________

      a truck and trailer for my mower, but not sure with a late notice, if
      not ,I can see what I can do with my trimmer. any thoughts from our
      group about dobstuff telescopes, I'm looking at the 16'' dob,
      lightbridge is too big at base for my car, and some others are too much
      money. ...thanks

      > >>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
      patrick

      > ________________________________

      light for grilling in the lot. I'll bring the grill, burgers and
      dogs. Patrick... soda, snacks, and paperware sounds great. Any
      volunteers for burger/dog buns, condiments, side dishes/salads,
      desserts? We'll also need a count of folks planning to join us
      so we can properly plan. Thus far we've got Karen, my 2 boys,
      myself, Patrick, Don, Marlon, and Cal which makes 8 thus far.Â
      Did I miss anyone? I say the more the merrier!

      > >>Patrick, the weeds were rather high when I was there last week.Â
      I was considering calling the forest service again and asking them to
      cut it but not sure how successful I would be in that venture.Â
      Thoughts?

      > >>Looks like things are shaping up for a good time. Let's
      hope the weather holds up!

      > >>- Chuck
      > >>

      > ________________________________

      paperware.does anyone know if the lot has been cut? I could bring my
      weedeater and do some work, if someone has a truck and trailer, I could
      take my zeroturn and cut the lot. I'm sure the weeds are getting high.

      > >>Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
      Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
      Patrick

      > ________________________________

      I'm still working on the cooking part, but we'll do something food
      wise. I'd prefer to bring my grill and cook some
      burgers, dogs, etc.  Karen sent an email to the forest
      service to see if it was allowed at that location, but they've not
      yet responded.  Once we hear back, I'll respond to the group and
      we can figure out who can bring what. I'll keep you guys posted. On
      another note, I went to blackbird last sat night, which was the 1st
      time I brought my 16" out to a "darker" location.  There
      was a serious WOW factor. I live in townsend, and my skies areÂ
      decent, but with no local lighting my eyes were able to properly
      dark adapt. I saw amazing detail in M51, M81/82. M104 was
      outstanding! Bright with a very prominent dust
      lane. M101 showed some minor detail, and the various globs (M3,
      M13, M53) looked spectacular as always. I scanned the
      galaxies of the
      > virgo cluster and coma, and headed home about 11PM. I'm looking
      forward to an even better night this Saturday! Chuck ____________
      _________ _________ __ From: Don Surles To: delmarvastargazers@
      yahoogroups. com Sent: Wed, May 12, 2010 11:01:44 AM Subject: Re:
      [delmarvastargazers ] Saturday Stargaze  Chuck, i am planning to be
      at Blackbird Saturday night. What are the plans for cooking? Don... On
      May 11, 2010, at 9:19 AM, Chuck Jennings wrote: Â > > >Hi, > >Is
      anyone interested in a Saturday night stargaze tailgate mini
      party BBQ at Black Bird in Townsend? It looks like it will be a
      beautiful night, good observing. Let me know! Cell, 302-233-3878 >