Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4

  • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
      Hey folks,
      I'd like to cookout at blackbird this afternoon, but need a head count. Thus far I have Dave, Doug, and myself confirmed. Who else is planning on joining us?

      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

      From: dnorton618@...
      Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:05:14 +0000
      To: Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4

      What time is everyone going to show up? I need to know so I can get there before anyone else and get my spot. Not even Earl can get me outta dat spot.

      Doug N

      From: Dave <dgrshort@...>
      Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 09:04:27 -0400
      To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

      I'm in. Plan to be there with two solar scopes. H-alpha and white light.

      Dave

      Regards, Dave

      On Sep 3, 2010, at 9:45 PM, Chuck Jennings <chuckjennings33@...> wrote:

      Hi folks,
      Is anyone up for an evening at blackbird tomorrow?  The weather reports have been changing fairly frequently over the past day and a half, but weather.com is showing clear skies for tomorrow.  I'm thinking some afternoon solar observing, burgers and dogs on the grill, and then a night of DSOs! Who's in?

      - Chuck

    • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
        I'll assume by the lack of responses that most folks are busy due to the holiday weekend. I'll be at blackbird between 5 and 6, but not going to cook given the anticipated lite turnout. Hope to see you guys tonight.

        - Chuck

        Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

        From: dnorton618@...
        Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:05:14 +0000
        To: Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>

        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
          Two more for Blackbird. We'll bring our own food.

          On 2010-09-04 4:36 PM, chuckjennings33@... wrote:

          > I'll assume by the lack of responses that most folks are busy due to the
          > holiday weekend. I'll be at blackbird between 5 and 6, but not going to
          > cook given the anticipated lite turnout. Hope to see you guys tonight.
          >
          > - Chuck
          >
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          > *From: * chuckjennings33@...
          > *Sender: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > *Date: *Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:33:30 +0000
          > *To: *<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
          > *ReplyTo: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > *Subject: *Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4
          >
          > Hey folks,
          > I'd like to cookout at blackbird this afternoon, but need a head count.
          > Thus far I have Dave, Doug, and myself confirmed. Who else is planning
          > on joining us?
          >
          > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          > *From: * dnorton618@...
          > *Sender: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > *Date: *Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:05:14 +0000
          > *To: *Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
          > *ReplyTo: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > *Subject: *Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4
          >
          > What time is everyone going to show up? I need to know so I can get
          > there before anyone else and get my spot. Not even Earl can get me outta
          > dat spot.
          >
          > Doug N

          > *From: * Dave <dgrshort@...>
          > *Sender: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > *Date: *Sat, 4 Sep 2010 09:04:27 -0400
          > *To: *delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
          > *ReplyTo: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
          > *Subject: *Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4
          >
          > I'm in. Plan to be there with two solar scopes. H-alpha and white light.
          >
          > Dave
          >
          > Regards, Dave
          >
          > On Sep 3, 2010, at 9:45 PM, Chuck Jennings <chuckjennings33@...
          > <mailto:chuckjennings33@...>> wrote:
          >
          >> Hi folks,
          >> Is anyone up for an evening at blackbird tomorrow? The weather reports
          >> have been changing fairly frequently over the past day and a half, but
          >> weather.com <http://weather.com> is showing clear skies for tomorrow.
          >> I'm thinking some afternoon solar observing, burgers and dogs on the
          >> grill, and then a night of DSOs! Who's in?
          >> - Chuck

        • Karen Jennings
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 4, 2010
            Hi DMSG!

            Thank you to Dr. Dave for coming out with his beautiful solar scope! So sorry the boys and I missed you!

            Doug Norton and Chuck Jennings have set up a C8 and a 16" dob at Black Bird! If you are not doing anything tonight, jump into your vehicle and get down to the BBSF observation site! Don't worry about packing up your scope...unless it's bigger than a C8 or 16" Dob! haha! Please come and join us!

            Warmly yours,
            Karen

            To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            From: mjl@...
            Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2010 16:39:18 -0400

            On 2010-09-04 4:36 PM, chuckjennings33@... wrote:

            > I'll assume by the lack of responses that most folks are busy due to the
            > holiday weekend. I'll be at blackbird between 5 and 6, but not going to
            > cook given the anticipated lite turnout. Hope to see you guys tonight.
            >
            > - Chuck
            >
            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            > *From: * chuckjennings33@...
            > *Sender: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > *Date: *Sat, 4 Sep 2010 15:33:30 +0000
            > *To: *<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
            > *ReplyTo: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > *Subject: *Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4
            >
            > Hey folks,
            > I'd like to cookout at blackbird this afternoon, but need a head count.
            > Thus far I have Dave, Doug, and myself confirmed. Who else is planning
            > on joining us?
            >
            > Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

            > *From: * dnorton618@...
            > *Sender: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > *Date: *Sat, 4 Sep 2010 13:05:14 +0000
            > *To: *Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
            > *ReplyTo: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > *Subject: *Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4
            >
            > What time is everyone going to show up? I need to know so I can get
            > there before anyone else and get my spot. Not even Earl can get me outta
            > dat spot.
            >
            > Doug N

            > *From: * Dave <dgrshort@...>
            > *Sender: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > *Date: *Sat, 4 Sep 2010 09:04:27 -0400
            > *To: *delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
            > *ReplyTo: * delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
            > *Subject: *Re: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird Tomorrow 9-4
            >
            > I'm in. Plan to be there with two solar scopes. H-alpha and white light.
            >
            > Dave
            >
            > Regards, Dave
            >
            > On Sep 3, 2010, at 9:45 PM, Chuck Jennings <chuckjennings33@...
            > <mailto:chuckjennings33@...>> wrote:
            >
            >> Hi folks,
            >> Is anyone up for an evening at blackbird tomorrow? The weather reports
            >> have been changing fairly frequently over the past day and a half, but
            >> weather.com <http://weather.com> is showing clear skies for tomorrow.
            >> I'm thinking some afternoon solar observing, burgers and dogs on the
            >> grill, and then a night of DSOs! Who's in?
            >> - Chuck

          • Bob Bunge
            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
              Ok, after hosting a gaggle of 11th old girls overnight for a birthday
              sleep over last night, I'm interested in going to Tuckahoe tonight
              (Sunday).

              Any others interested?

              Bob
            • dnorton618@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                That is quite tempting. Ballfield?

                Doug N

                From: Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>
                Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 11:03:27 -0400
                To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                Subject: [delmarvastargazers] T-hoe Sept 5

              • bbunge@ladyandtramp.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                  Yes

                  From: dnorton618@...
                  Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:05:12 +0000
                  To: Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                  Subject: {Disarmed} Re: [delmarvastargazers] T-hoe Sept 5

                  From: Bob Bunge <bbunge@...>
                  Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2010 11:03:27 -0400
                  To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                  ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                  Ok, after hosting a gaggle of 11th old girls overnight for a birthday
                  sleep over last night, I'm interested in going to Tuckahoe tonight
                  (Sunday).

                  Any others interested?

                  believed to be clean.
                • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                    I could probably be talked into a T-hoe trip..

                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                    From: dnorton618@...
                    Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                    Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 15:05:12 +0000
                    To: Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                    ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                    Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] T-hoe Sept 5

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                      I'd consider making the trip...

                    • de_miles@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                        I'll be there.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                          I tried the rangers at (410) 820-1668, but that number isn't in service
                          anymore and haven't been able to find any other numbers. I dug up
                          1-800825-7275 from Akins, which landed me in a parks HQ office in
                          Annapolis, which took a message. Budget cuts in action :-(

                          Bob

                          de_miles@... wrote:
                          > I'll be there.

                        • Karen Jennings
                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                            Hi,

                            Is anyone camping at Tuckahoe tonight? Chuck is heading down with a loaded truck of camping gear and Tuckahoe said that the last "walk up" site was just taken. He may go to Martinak just 10 miles south. Has anyone been there?

                            Karen

                            "When a child hearkens to the beat of a different drum ~ perhaps he is keeping time to songs of Angels that we, his lessers, simply cannot hear. ~Kelly Long-Kirkpatrick"

                            To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                            From: de_miles@...
                            Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:38:27 +0000

                            I'll be there.

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                              I called that # and got a answering machine. I left a message.

                            • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                                We were in luck. There was one spot available at T-hoe. Gabe and I have the campsite all set up and are relaxing and waiting for nightfall!

                                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                From: Karen Jennings <karen-jennings@...>
                                Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 14:22:40 -0400
                                To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                                ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Camping at T-hoe Sept 5

                                To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                From: de_miles@...
                                Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:38:27 +0000

                                I'll be there.

                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                                  On my way now

                                  Doug N

                                  From: chuckjennings33@...
                                  Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                  Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 21:19:32 +0000
                                  To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                                  ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                  Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Camping at T-hoe Sept 5

                                  From: de_miles@...
                                  Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:38:27 +0000

                                  I'll be there.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 5, 2010
                                    Folks,
                                    There are going to be some great observing reports posted tomorrow! The Tuckahoe sky was breathtaking. Gabe fell asleep on the ballfeild at around 9::30. I covered him up in my truck bed, but by 10:30 he was soaked in dew, cutting our night a little short. But I did manage to get in an hour and a half of observing. I spent the early part of the night in sag and scorpius looking at some globs. M22 and M4 were very nice. I veiwed the wild duck cluster, lagoon, and trifid nebulas. I then revisited some highlights from last night. Stephan's quintet showed more detail tonight. All 5 galaxies were clearly seen, with structure. The best views were through a 9mm at approx 230x. I went back to andromeda and the fireworks galaxy.. Fireworks was also more visible than last night with the spiral arms better defined. Of course I took a peek at jupiter before ending the night early. Looking forward to hearing how the rest of the night went.

                                    -Chuck

                                    Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                    From: chuckjennings33@...
                                    Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                    Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 21:19:32 +0000
                                    To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>

                                    From: de_miles@...
                                    Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 17:38:27 +0000

                                    I'll be there.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                                      It was a very good night! I can't remember the last time the Milky Way
                                      was so nice from T-hoe, but then again, I hadn't been out since last
                                      November!

                                      There were about 8 cars at the peak. When I pulled in, the line of
                                      campers standing on the road staring at the crazy astronomers was almost
                                      as impressive as the number of cars and scopes on the field.

                                      Showed 7-year old Johny Venus, M-51, M-13 and M-17 in the 20-inch before
                                      he finally popped and crashed in his sleeping bag under a pile of
                                      blankets in the back of the van. Although he was clearly most impressed
                                      by the three meteors he saw. Hope he wasn't too much of a distraction.

                                      Afterwards, I drew 16 globs, opens and planetaries in Sgr before
                                      slumming through some of the brighter show piece objects. The seeing
                                      was first rate; I caught glimpses of the central star in the Ring nebula
                                      at 300x and waiting for the moments of good seeing. Jupiter, odd
                                      looking with only one band, showed a lot of detail, both in the band and
                                      in the polar regions.

                                      Bob Bunge

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                                        It was good to see you Bob. Had a blast. I'm still recovering from two all-nighters in a row. I was one of 4 who all left around 3:30am.

                                        Doug N

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Sep 6, 2010
                                          You going for a third?

                                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T