Blackbird...

  • dnorton618@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 17, 2010
      I really don't know what the weather holds for this evening, but if there's a chance of clear skies I'm going to Blackbird for double star/moon/planet observing.

      Doug N

    • Douglas Norton
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 1 9:01 AM
        Where's the observing report from the Blackbird outing last night? I wussed out and stayed home. I inventoried and catalogued all of my astronomy magazines, put them in new storage boxes to keep them in good condition.

        Doug Norton
        dnorton618@...
        http://www.douglasnorton.com

          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 1 9:47 AM
            Doug,
            Isn't that actually a rainy night type chore?
            Pj

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 1 9:57 AM
              Yes, it usually is. I was just wiped out last night and couldn't muster the energy to go. I've been spending a lot of my evenings as of late going through old astro mags looking for interesting articles. I found something very interesting I am putting together to share with the club/group.

              Doug Norton
              dnorton618@...
              http://www.douglasnorton.com

            • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 1 12:41 PM
                Doug,
                It was pretty damp last night, but we had a good time. Stuck with the usual suspects.....the messier objects in sagitarius, scutum, cygnus, lyra, herc, pegasus, andromeda, etc. M11 looked exceptional, M31 is getting higher in the evening and is showing more detail in my 16", and it was nice to observe the double cluster which was amazing as always. We packed it up around 11. And by the way, I really enjoyed observing from "your" spot. :-)

                I'm hoping we get some clear skies this weekend. Would love to have an even bigger crowd than we did last month at blackbird. I don't mind cooking again. Let me know if anyone is interested.

                -Chuck

                Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                From: Douglas Norton <dnorton618@...>
                Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 09:57:26 -0700 (PDT)
                To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 1 12:50 PM
                  You people are gonna start taking "my spot" now?! The gloves will come off!

                  Glad you got some good observing in. I may go tonight.

                  Doug Norton
                  dnorton618@...
                  http://www.douglasnorton.com

                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 1 1:12 PM
                    Chuck,

                    I might be able to get there for some solar observing and good company this Saturday.  Let me know if you need anything.  The other Labor Day weekend days have other commitments.  Saturday might be iffy if my daughter decides to spend the weekend at my house instead of her aunt's.  But solar observing with the Blackbird irregulars is incentive to put my Meade back together.

                    Saw Doug's post on his 'spot'.  I think we have to get the park rangers to put in a pad there with Doug's name on in so you don't make that mistake again.

                    Dave

                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 2 6:27 AM

                      Two tricks to ward off attracting female mosquitos:

                      1. Do NOT eat bananas prior to going outdoors
                      2. Coat all exposed surfaces of the body with the original Listerine mouthwash.

                      When the sweat glands generate perspiration, the sweat contains trace elements of certain foods. The smell of banana in perspiration attracts the mosquitos.

                      Not sure what it is about Listerine that makes it effective as a repellent. Since it tastes like iodine (ugh!), this alternate use seems to give it some redeeming value.

                      Art

                      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

                      > the mosquitoes ate it.
                      >
                      > Don...
                      >

                      > On Sep 1, 2010, at 12:01 PM, Douglas Norton wrote:
                      >

                      > > Where's the observing report from the Blackbird outing last night? I wussed out and stayed home. I inventoried and catalogued all of my astronomy magazines, put them in new storage boxes to keep them in good condition.
                      > >
                      > > Doug Norton
                      > > dnorton618@...
                      > > http://www.douglasnorton.com

                    • Paul Riley
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 2 9:39 AM
                        Maybe it should be by invitation only?
                        How about an assigned spot - say 4 x 4 ft? (enuf room for scope and observer, no looking at stuff near the horizon, you scope might overhang the adjoining spot.

                        Actually, most space is taken with them there vehicles...everyone run out and get a SmartCar....

                        Maybe a smaller cookout - sliders instead of full size burgers?

                        Pj
                        (all this is in jest - absolutely nothing reflects the opinion of any body...)

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 2 9:48 AM
                          It's so funny how you guys label it "My Spot". We can thank Chuck for that rumor. Hey, it's a good spot and I am usually there first which is why I get there early to stake my claim. I do want to thank Chuck and Patrick for stomping the grass down in my spot because the area was all ready for me to go last night.

                          Doug

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 2 11:15 AM
                            It's a good thing that this isn't a BIG corporation site, safety would kick and require those BIG scopes to have flashing yellow lights on them so people don't git hit in the noggin when Tim ( I mean somebody) swings them around....
                            Pj

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 2 11:19 AM
                              Now it makes sense.........if it weren't for Patrick and I preparing your spot, you wouldn't have had half the night you did last night. So, you're welcome!

                              Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                              From: dnorton618@...
                              Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                              Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 16:48:32 +0000
                              To: Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>

                              Message 14 of 24 , Sep 18 9:21 AM
                                Last night was a total loss. It clouded up as soon as I got there and stayed cloudy until I left at 12:00am. Tonight will be another try. Going for doubles and the moon. Jupiter should be spectacular as it is at opposition and will be larger apparently than it has been since 1963 and won't be this close again until 2022. So make sure you get out to see it soon. It really is a spectacular site in the scope.

                                Doug N

                              • Dave
                                Message 15 of 24 , Sep 18 10:37 AM
                                  Doug,

                                  I can make it, perhaps. When do you plan to be there?

                                  Dave

                                  Regards, Dave

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Sep 18 11:56 AM
                                    7:00 or so.

                                    Doug N

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Sep 18 4:20 PM
                                      Doug, Don, and I are here now. You're already late!

                                      -Chuck

                                      Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Nov 10, 2010
                                        Since I have tomorrow off, I plan to be at Blackbird tonight for some observing. Since 9pm seems to be the best start time as the moon will have set by then, I'll probably just hit the field around that time.

                                        Doug N

                                      • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Nov 10, 2010
                                          I'll be there as well......

                                          -Chuck

                                          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

                                          From: dnorton618@...
                                          Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                          Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 13:17:24 +0000
                                          To: Delmarva Stargazers<delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
                                          ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
                                          Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Blackbird...

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011
                                            yep...I will be there.

                                            Don...
                                            On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:47 PM, dnorton618@... wrote:

                                            > I'll be hitting Blackbird tonight. Will you be able to get out?
                                            >
                                            > Doug

                                          • Michael Masciantonio
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 2, 2011
                                              As will I.
                                            • Chuck Jennings
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 3, 2011
                                                I am going to blackbird tonight.  Anyone interested?

                                                Sent from my iPhone

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 3, 2011
                                                  i will come out and donate blood again tonight.  will be there around 8:30PM.

                                                  Don

                                                  Don...

                                                  On Jun 3, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Chuck Jennings wrote:

                                                  I am going to blackbird tonight.  Anyone interested?

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  On Jun 2, 2011, at 3:29 PM, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

                                                  yep...I will be there.

                                                  Don...
                                                  On Jun 2, 2011, at 1:47 PM, dnorton618@... wrote:

                                                  > I'll be hitting Blackbird tonight. Will you be able to get out?
                                                  >
                                                  > Doug

                                                • Douglas Norton
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 7, 2014
                                                    Going to Blackbird again tonight.