Re: [delmarvastargazers] Last night

  • dnorton618@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 4 9:49 AM
      Would you like a copy of my observing logs and observing reports? Maybe you could find some useful information in them. Let me know.

      Doug N

      From: Karen Jennings <karen-jennings@...>
      Sender: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:43:00 -0400
      To: <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com>
      ReplyTo: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [delmarvastargazers] Last night

      Happy 4th of July Delmarva Stargazers!

      The night sky was beautiful last night, the Milky Way was amazing! Mosquitoes were a bummer.

      So what are people looking at these nights? Can you share, give a heads up to check out some cool stuff?! I would like to personally start keeping a log file of everyone's observations, so I can get ideas, compare notes, EPs and scopes used, ect.  I'll start today, if anyone wants me to forward this file to them at anytime, just let me know! Thank you so much! Have a safe and fun 4th!

      Warmly Yours,

      Karen

      -Is anyone going out to Black Bird tonight? Chuck is going to try to go if he feels better. Gabe is still not feeling well. They are watching the Star Wars marathon on Spike TV, wrapped up in blankets and pillows on the couch!

      Jennings 7/3 Observations:

      Venus: Bright, large, Chuck saw cloud detail.. spots, dark shaded areas

      Saturn: Supurb, even during dusk. Cloud bands were easily visible along with 4 moons. Chuck could discern color differences in each of the moons.

      M3: Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici. Beautiful, lots of colors (blues), like a pile of diamonds plopped down on black velvet in a jewelry store window!

      M13: Globular Cluster in Hercules. I love M13, she (yes, it's a girl) looks like a Ziegfeld Follies dancer. Here is a good image, looks like what I saw last night http://www.astronom ycamerasblog. com/wp-content/ uploads-extra/ mayer_m13_ zoom.jpg reminded me of this image ... http://wpcontent. answers.com/ wikipedia/ en/thumb/ e/e9/ZiegfeldFol lies.png/ 200px-ZiegfeldFo llies.png

      NGC 6210: Planetary Nebula in Hercules. Popped out in Chuck's 16", wish we were at Black Bird last night, the sky was so dark! I noticed that in Doug's C8, the "Turtle in Space" had more contrast. Chuck said that it was blue/green, larger than he expected, and he saw the outline that somewhat resembled a turtle shape.

      NGC 6826: Planetary Nebula in Cygnus. False advertising! Totally did not blink! ; ) Very cool planetary, aqua blue, does disappear when you look directly at it.. similar to my experience when looking at M57.

      NGC 6207: Galaxy in Hercules. Small, faint and fuzzy, shaped like a football.

      NGC 6934: Globular Cluster in Delphinus. Small, some central stars resolvable but dim (133x). Higher mag did not improve resolution.

      M27: Planetary Nebula "Dumbbell". Large, bright. Chuck easily observed the core, I had a harder time. It looked 3D, many layers of varying brightness.

      Hercules: Many double and variable stars. So bright and beautiful. There was a gorgeous orange star, around the Mu and Xi region, not sure if it was a red giant or a carbon.. does anyone know it, or is it like a needle in a haystack question?

      Milky Way: Just zoomed around, star hopping. Stunning last night.

      Tonights list!  Has anyone recently observed these objects, could you share your thoughts and impressions on each?

      Hickson HCG 92

      Hercules:

      NGC 6207 Spiral Galaxy in Hercules

      M92 Globular Cluster

      Coma Berenices:

      NGC 4565 Galaxy

      Canes Venatici:

      NGC 4631 "Whale Galaxy" Barred Spiral Galaxy

      NGC 4656 "Hockey Stick Galaxy" Irregular Galaxy

      Aquila:

      NGC 6804 Planetary Nebula

      NGC 6781 " "

      NGC 6751 " "

      NGC 6778 " "

      NGC 6741 " "

      NGC 6772 " "

      NGC 6749 Globular Cluster

    • Karen Jennings
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 4 9:59 AM
        Yes, of course Doug! Thank you!
        A DMSG group ob log could potentially be a great resource, is there something in place now... no need to reinvent the wheel... if not, maybe we could start a log file in the groups page???

        To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        From: dnorton618@...
        Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 16:49:26 +0000
        Subject: Re: [delmarvastargazers] Last night

        From: Karen Jennings <karen-jennings@ hotmail.com>
        Sender: delmarvastargazers@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:43:00 -0400
        To: <delmarvastargazers@ yahoogroups. com>

      • chuckjennings33@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 5, 2010
          Good morning fellow gazers! Last night a few of us gathered at blackbird and there is really only one word to describe it......phenomenal!!!! Doug, Dave, Don, Michael, Gina, and myself met at the field late afternoon yesterday. There were a few clouds at the time which cleared at dusk and paved the way for the night ahead. The air was dry and the sky was very clear and dark. The milky way was as bright as I'd seen it from blackbird and was showing structure and detail even before the end of astronomical twilight. The group was picking off objects easily and due to the excellent conditions most of what I observed were 1st time objects. I started with glogs in Sag, then mobved to galaxies in pegasus and andromeda. My list is too long to go into but I was able to get 2 of my challange objects, Hickson 92 and NGC 6946. Both were quite faint yet with structure detectable. There were many other highlights including very pronounced lanes in M31 and the ngc206 starcloud in andromeda.

          Don had "yellowhammer" out last night and the views through this home made monster were spectacular. I am still quite new to the hobby, but I know what looks good, and all objects observed through his scope were awesome.

          Tonight's forecast looks just as good, if not better than last night. I'm planning on being out at blackbird again tonight with high hopes of topping last night!!! Hopefully I'll have some company.

          -Chuck
          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
        • Michael Lecuyer
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 5, 2010
            Mostly it was a show and tell night with Gina. Jupiter was low in the
            sky and boiling mess not impressing anyone.

            Chuck Jennings was kind enough to locate NGC 206 for me in the Andromeda
            galaxy with his telescope. It's the only extragalactic NGC in that it's
            the only NGC object within another galaxy.

            After leaving Blackbird and going home I set up the telescope in the
            back yard to do a little more work.

            I used Jupiter to align my finder and when I looked in the eyepiece it
            was so detailed I just spent the next hour looking at it and trying out
            filters.

            I'd left the UHC filter in the Paracorr from Blackbird which showed
            Jupiter and it's moons in a really psychedelic blue. Its a good filter
            for Jupiter if you can get over the color. A 25% ND filter turned out to
            be my favorite. Light blue and yellow filters were helpful too. Blue
            shows the bands better.