Blackbird 2 July, 2010...

  • Douglas Norton
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2 11:45 PM
      Blackbird July 2nd, 2010...

      Tonight's observing run was to be a short trip to get that fix. Just enough observing to keep from going into withdrawal.
      And indeed it was a good short run. Don, Patrick and Karen showed up for some views as well. Venus and Saturn
      were really great tonight. Patrick has a new eyepiece and we compared it with the 9mm TMB I have. His was quite
      the performer. We also looked at Mars and Patrick said it was his first view of the red planet. It was small but surface
      detail and the polar ice cap was visible.

      While waiting for total darkness I hunted down a few double stars to see how the atmosphere was behaving. Then as
      darkness fell I started looking at NGC6572 in Ophiuchus. The one Karen had viewed a few nights ago and inspired
      me to give it another look. It was small and bright. Just as I remembered it... at the beginning of June! I had indeed
      seen it since 2001 I just wrote the wrong NGC number in my notes. More green to me than blue but I would call it a
      deep aqua, green leaning more towards blue. Not the cornflower blue that Karen saw. I had listed it as NGC6575 on
      June 7th which is a galaxy. I described what I saw correctly but wrote the number wrong. Mystery solved.

      Then we moved to NGC6210 and compared views through the scopes. We did this with M13 and M27 as well as a
      few other objects. The Dumbbell looked awesome in both scopes. We saw the central star in my scope with the
      9mm TMB at 222x. What a sight! Karen hogged my scope because it has a motor drive and she could just sit and
      take in the views without having to worry about the object moving through the field. She really liked the objects we
      looked at tonight

      The clouds threatened us all night but finally came through and made us decide to head home. It was a fun night.
      Sharing views, comparing views and testing the limits of our observing skills, we had a blast.

      P.S. I was just thumbing through some old magazines I have in my rather large collection this evening and I was
      looking at "The Review of Popular Astronomy" from August/September of 1968. In it I found an observer's catalogue
      of objects in Delphinus. Beta Del looks to be a nice triple and possibly a quad star with really nice colors. The
      measurements are over 40 years old but I'm giving this guy a look the next time I get out. Also in this issue there
      is an article on my hero Leslie Peltier. And you could get a Criterion 6-inch f/8 Dynascope RV-6 on a German
      Equatorial Pier with electric RA drive motor, choice of 3 eyepieces and 6x30 finderscope all for $194.95. And if that
      is too much for your budget you can make a $74.95 down payment and take 24 months to pay off the rest!

      I just love looking through my old magazines! But now it's 2:40am and I am up way past my bedtime.

      Doug Norton
      dnorton618@...
      http://www.douglasnorton.com

    • Karen Jennings
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 3 1:20 PM
        Guilty as charged, I totally hogged Doug's awesome scope... and I'll do it again if given the chance!

        I am so bummed we missed the DMSG 4th of July party of Don's today. I had to bring Gabe to his doc today, didn't get home until almost 4pm. I hope everyone had a blast and someone took some pictures! I can bring the goodies I planned on bringing today to Tuesday night's meeting. Do we have a coffee maker/urn for meetings?

        Is anyone planning on going out to Black Bird tonight?

        Karen

        To: delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com
        From: dnorton618@...
        Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 23:45:23 -0700