Re: DSG #16

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2010
      here is a link to the Arabian Lights Dance Group page...you will probably recognize that many of these pics came from last year's performance at T-hoe.

      http://www.arabianlightsdanceco.com/gallery.html

      Don...

      On Apr 9, 2010, at 11:07 PM, Don Surles wrote:

      > DSG #16 Time is approaching...are you packed?
      >
      > Here are some pertinent bits of info about the event:
      >
      > I listed the door prizes today...there are 23 of them and the retail value is $1089...they will be awarded Saturday night after the fish fry. Each registered attendee will receive a door prize ticket.
      >
      > We will have a TMB 100 degree FOV eyepiece for all to inspect and compare with their favorite brands...and we will raffle it to a lucky ticket holder on Saturday night....raffle tickets will be available from PJ.
      >
      > There will be a swap meet Saturday morning behind the clubhouse...bring your goodies or your dollars...preferably both so you can buy my goodies and I can buy yours.
      >
      > We will have a repeat performance by the Ladies of the Arabian Lights Dance Company at 4:30 on Saturday afternoon. Bring your cameras and be prepared to join in the dance.
      >
      > And of course we will have food...ham & lima bean soup Thurs & Fri along with another soup/stew...could be chick & veg thurs and manhattan clam chowder friday. Saturday's main course will be a fish fry and hushpuppies as always.
      >
      > Please remember we are trying to go green...we will have sodas in 2-liter bottles...so bring your favorite mug or travel cup...we will not have styrofoam cups or alum cans. As always, the coffee pot is all nite, bottomless and free - just bring your own mug or cup.
      >
      > Come and enjoy the event...it is springtime and Mother Nature will be wearing her freshest new wardrobe of spring colors.
      >
      > Don...

    • Richard Spencer
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2010
        If the sky is clear, we plan to come for one of the days, say Saturday afternoon through the wee hours--but would really like not to camp (been there, done that...).

        Is this possible? The problem is obviously not being able to drive out of the observing area (headlights), or drive back to our scopes to pack up at 1 AM, but I assume the observing site would be too far from wherever we park the car to carry the scopes back (10" dob, 5" SCT).  Any suggestions for doing this as a non-overnight?

        Richard Spencer

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2010
          get some black polyethylene and tape it over your headlights and tail lights...no seriously, I would suggest parking closer to the entrance with your car headed out.  When you get ready to leave just announce you are leaving...if it is clear most folks will understand.   You can find an observing spot close to the entrance so that you don;'t have to carry a scope too far.   if it is not clear there is no problemos.

          Don...

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 10, 2010

            Hi Don

            Thinking of heading to Blackbird to do a little imaging.

            The clear sky chart looks pretty good.

            Cal