Cherry Springs Star Party and Eyepiece Question

  • karenjennings33
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
      Is anyone planning on attending the Cherry Springs Star Party in June? Chuck signed us up and we are looking forward to those skies. Did anyone attend last year? Are the skies noticably different/darker than Tuckahoe?

      Here's some info about registration....
      http://www.astrohbg.org/CSSP/Information.html

      What are the preferred eyepiece for planetary detail and nebulas like Orion, Ring and Veil? I think I need a special filter for Veil......

      Planetary detail: Explore Scientific 9mm.
      Nebula: Explore Scientific 24mm

      I've heard great things about Explore Scientific, and we have a 14mm 82* that rocks, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a good experience with Meade, or another vender that is more economical than Tele Vue, but high quality coma free pieces.

      Warmly Yours,
      Karen Jennings
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
        Karen, I use an OIII (oxygen 3) filter for the Veil and some other nebulae (Ring and Dumbell , etc).  There are several namebrands available and all are pretty much the same in my opinion...but I would buy Lumicon again.

        High quality coma free...that's a tall order in a "lower price" eyepiece...and you may always have some coma with reflectors that will be more apparent with cameras than the human eye.  I wouldn't worry about the coma...your object is gonna be in the center of the FOV and the coma is on the edge.

        I have never had a bad Televue eyepiece; I have had some nice Meade and Celestrons but they have gone by-by long ago except for some Celestron Ultima ep's that are part of my Celstron Ultima 8 setup.  IMHO...TV is the best buy...and used TV's via Astromart or Cloudy NIghts is not a bad route to take.

        Don...

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
          Hi Don!

          Thanks so much! Okay, I'm chillin' on the coma... I am obsessing over those Tele Vue 100* eyepieces, oh baby those are nice pieces! I have to go economical, can't justify spending a million Benjamins on eyepieces when my little dudes are growing out of jeans and sneakers every 5 minutes. Thanks for your feedback! Much appreciated!

          So, are you going to the Cherry Springs star party? Have you been there before?

          Peace!
          Karen Jennings

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

          > Karen, I use an OIII (oxygen 3) filter for the Veil and some other nebulae (Ring and Dumbell , etc). There are several namebrands available and all are pretty much the same in my opinion...but I would buy Lumicon again.
          >
          > High quality coma free...that's a tall order in a "lower price" eyepiece...and you may always have some coma with reflectors that will be more apparent with cameras than the human eye. I wouldn't worry about the coma...your object is gonna be in the center of the FOV and the coma is on the edge.
          >
          > I have never had a bad Televue eyepiece; I have had some nice Meade and Celestrons but they have gone by-by long ago except for some Celestron Ultima ep's that are part of my Celstron Ultima 8 setup. IMHO...TV is the best buy...and used TV's via Astromart or Cloudy NIghts is not a bad route to take.
          >
          > Don...
          >

          > On Mar 3, 2010, at 9:17 AM, karenjennings33 wrote:
          >
          > > Is anyone planning on attending the Cherry Springs Star Party in June? Chuck signed us up and we are looking forward to those skies. Did anyone attend last year? Are the skies noticably different/darker than Tuckahoe?
          > >
          > > Here's some info about registration....
          > > http://www.astrohbg.org/CSSP/Information.html
          > >
          > > What are the preferred eyepiece for planetary detail and nebulas like Orion, Ring and Veil? I think I need a special filter for Veil......
          > >
          > > Planetary detail: Explore Scientific 9mm.
          > > Nebula: Explore Scientific 24mm
          > >
          > > I've heard great things about Explore Scientific, and we have a 14mm 82* that rocks, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a good experience with Meade, or another vender that is more economical than Tele Vue, but high quality coma free pieces.
          > >
          > > Warmly Yours,
          > > Karen Jennings

        • Tim
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
            Karen,

            The skies at CSSP are much darker then TSP. If you don't know the sky real well, you may be a bit lost at first (many more stars). They were having some issues with gas drilling rigs burn off flames creating some light pollution, I don't know the current status of that.

            To answer your Eyepiece and filter question I would like to know what kind and size telescope you use?

            Those EPs focal lengths sound OK. As far as filters, if you have an telescope less then 8 inches I would go with a narrowband nebulae filter like a UHC (Ultra High Contrast) filter. This is a more versatile filter. The UHC filter will still show nebulae but also let in more light that will help with seeing the object better with a smaller scope.

            If you are 8 inches or more then you could also try the OIII (oxygen III) filter. This may show more of a nebulae and more detail but the narrowband of the OIII filter will not pass as much light as a UHC so the image may be dimmer.

            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, "karenjennings33" <karen-jennings@...> wrote:

            > Is anyone planning on attending the Cherry Springs Star Party in June? Chuck signed us up and we are looking forward to those skies. Did anyone attend last year? Are the skies noticably different/darker than Tuckahoe?
            >
            > Here's some info about registration....
            > http://www.astrohbg.org/CSSP/Information.html
            >
            > What are the preferred eyepiece for planetary detail and nebulas like Orion, Ring and Veil? I think I need a special filter for Veil......
            >
            > Planetary detail: Explore Scientific 9mm.
            > Nebula: Explore Scientific 24mm
            >
            > I've heard great things about Explore Scientific, and we have a 14mm 82* that rocks, but I wanted to see if anyone has had a good experience with Meade, or another vender that is more economical than Tele Vue, but high quality coma free pieces.
            >
            > Warmly Yours,
            > Karen Jennings

          • karenjennings33
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
              Hi Tim, Thank you for your response and feedback! :)

              We have a 16" Dob Lightbridge. I am a newbie stargazer... actually, what's newer than newbie... that's what I am. I can't wait to get lost in those skies!

              Thanks again Tim!
              Warmly Yours,
              Karen Jennings

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
                Karen, I just investigated the 100 degree eyepieces - did a talk last night on them.

                before plunking down big bucks I suggest finding a fellow AA and comparing them to the 82-84 degree FOV Naglers & ultra wide meades & Orions.  Astromart has some very good "old" naglers...for your 16" the 9, 13, and 20mm nags would work very well (these are older Nags - my naglers are all ver 1 or ver II - I have none of the newer models).

                Tim is correct on the UHC for scopes <8" vs OIII... but with your 16" you will appreciate the extra contrast an OII provides on nebulae.  I have a Deep Sky, UHC and OIII...for my viewing I hardly ever use the Deep Sky (light pollution filter), the UHC is used sometimes but the OIII gets a lot of use.  Brands...As I said they are all comparable - sometimes Orion has a special on their brands...Lumicons are rarely on "special".

                Don...