Re: [delmarvastargazers] friday night observing

  • jrtf
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 9, 2002
      Having missed Don's early note on meeting at the baseball field, I
      checked at the park friday afternoon, and was told that the
      Equestrian field was open for observation. I went there and stayed
      until approximately 11 pm.
      I parked near the north end of the field. There, as Don had noted
      last week, the view of the horizon is extensive and no car lights
      are visible. The barn light which can be turned off did not cause
      me any problem. Only one light far away was visible That makes for
      a rather wonderful site.
      There was some wind. I could have protected myself better with
      my van. The day was windy anyway. I found only minimal dew
      early in the evening and moderate temperature (50 or so).
      The seeing was not very good for close doubles, but others,
      clusters, nebulae and a few galaxies came out beautifully in my
      LX90 and made for a very enjoyable if quiet (I was alone there!) evening.
      Since there is a gate for access to that field which can be locked
      after hours, it will be important to have precise understanding with the
      park. This is all the more important because when we are at the north
      end of that field, it can be very difficult for a ranger to realize there
      are people there. Perhaps, we could leave a note at the gate.
      As a backup, it would be useful to have the combination of
      the lock if the park ranger finds it acceptable.

      Clear skies
      Jean-Paul Richard