Re: next meeting...March 2, 2010

    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 12, 2010
      OK...I know you are SNOW SHOCKED; so am I.

      So far, I have had no response to the request for presenters at the next meeting.

      If you can volunteer for a topic please respond by Saturday Morning. Remember...no volunteers and you get me.

      Don...

      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 12, 2010
        OK...I know you are SNOW SHOCKED; so am I.

        So far, I have had no response to the request for presenters at the next meeting.

        If you can volunteer for a topic please respond by Saturday Morning. Remember...no volunteers and you get me.

        Don...

        On Feb 8, 2010, at 10:01 AM, Don Surles wrote:

        > Folks, I need a couple of volunteers for the next meeting's topics; the last meeting was sparsely attended due to rescheduling because of the snow on Tuesday night...the volunteer is responsible for preparing and presenting his/her take on the topic to their fellow Gazers...
        >
        > First topic...telescope designs (refractor, reflector(newtonian, SCT, Maks,), and the new scopes that are touted to be coma free
        >
        > Second topic...the new superwide eyepieces with FOV greater than the standard 84 degrees of the Nagler...who makes them, do they work, are they worth the money?
        >
        > Third...the constellation is Cancer ( astronomy and mythology)
        >
        > So, are there any takers? If not I assure you... I can be boring
        >
        > Please email your acceptance of either topic.
        >
        > Thanks and have a nice day. And don't slip on the ICE!
        >
        > Don...

      • Michael P. Borgia
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 12, 2010
          Hi Don

          I believe I have an old presentation I once gave on telescopes to
          the club. I can update that for Tuesday with some information on coma
          free scopes. I'll try not to be so long winded.

          Michael

          Sent from my iPhone
        • Steven Long
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 12, 2010
            On Feb 12, 2010, at 9:53 AM, Michael P. Borgia wrote:

            > Hi Don
            >
            > I believe I have an old presentation I once gave on telescopes to
            > the club. I can update that for Tuesday with some information on coma
            > free scopes. I'll try not to be so long winded.

            You all know it's supposed to snow again next Tuesday ... :-D

            Steve
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 12, 2010
              Bro Steve...next Tuesday is Feb 16...our next meeting is 2 weeks later...2 whole weeks closer to SPRING...on March 2, 2010.

              Unplug your karakas from you Lazy Boy and join us...we miss your smiling face.   Bring that camera along and capture a sunset over Montego Bay (that's the pool of water twixt Rt 9 and the Sunset).  And shortly after you can capture a full moon rising over the Delaware Bay - from the back yard of Mallard Lodge.

              Hope to see you there.

              Don...

              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 12, 2010
                Just want to let you know that Michael Borgia will cover the first topic "Telescope Designs"...

                now we need volunteers for the eyepieces and constellation...just like on PBS - keep the phones ringing and your emails coming!

                Don...

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 15, 2012
                  Gazers...our next meeting is Nov 6…yep…election day…and the next day there will be no political ads!

                  I would like to encourager a pre-meeting social hour at the Smyrna Diner. The idea is for those coming to the meeting to start a bit earlier than usual, meet at the Smyrna Diner on US 13 South of Smyrna around 5:30 for a bowl of the Diner's famous chili (or your favorite course)…We could socialize for a while and leave for the Gazer Meeting at 6:45.

                  The Diner has plenty of room…and a fireplace in the rear dining room.

                  So, for those who are traveling a good distance…look around and find someone in your area…carpool…make this more than just another meeting.

                  BTW…this is a "you pay" event…

                  One more thing…there will be another Celestron NexStar telescope give-a-way at our Nov meeting - you must be present to win and all are eligible to win except me.

                  See you at the Diner…

                  It would be nice if you could email your intentions so that I can make arrangements with the Diner.

                  Have a nice day - Don…
                • Michael Lecuyer
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 16, 2012
                    There is an outreach this weekend at the Adkins Arboretum this Saturday
                    October 20th as early as 5:00 to set up, 6:30 for food, or later with
                    your telescope. Anyone wanting to join me is welcome to help out. This
                    is a telescope event therefore we only go weather permitting (stray
                    clouds are OK, overcast is not).

                    I realize this comes on the heels of the No Frills Star Party but if you
                    couldn't get enough of those three clear nights the Arboretum offers
                    overnight camping or just come out for the evening.

                    "Feel free to join us for dinner, camping, and breakfast. Campers are
                    asked to bring a main dish for themselves and a side dish to share. The
                    Arboretum is providing paper-ware, drinks, sýmores, a grill, and a light
                    breakfast (doughnuts, bagels, coffee, juice.)"

                    Sunset is at 18:15 and astronomical twilight ends at 19:45. The moon
                    sets at 23:00. The skies are like Tuckahoe with trees blocking the light
                    pollution from the NW.

                    Directions are found on the Stargazers web site on the out-reach page.
                  • Calixto Estrada
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 16, 2012
                      Hi Michael

                      Would join you but will be recovering from surgery.
                      Would much rather be under the stars.
                      Cal

[...]

                      <*> Your email settings:
                          Individual Email | Traditional

                      <*> To change settings online go to:
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          delmarvastargazers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                          delmarvastargazers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • Karen Jennings
                      Message 10 of 12 , Oct 17, 2012
                        This is great Michael, I'll post it on the DMSG Facebook page to promo your event!
                        Karen Jennings

                        Sent from my Atari 800
                      • Joe Morris
                        Message 11 of 12 , Oct 18, 2012
                          Hi Michael -- This event will work out well for me to participate since
                          I just brought my telescope home for the winter from Spruce Knob, WV
                          where it lives in a cargo trailer during the summer.

                          Exactly where in the Arboretum is this event held? Couldn't figure that
                          out from their website. If I bring the telescope, I'll need to set up
                          near my cargo trailer and have room to maneuver the pickup and trailer.

                          I assume there would be no fee for we outreach folks even with a
                          grandchild or two in tow.

                          Joe Morris