cold weather astro gloves

  • Richard Spencer
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 2010
      Does anyone know where I can buy (internet!?)  gloves with removeable (or bend-backable) fingers and thumb (i.e., keep the hands warm, leave the fingers and thumb free to manipulate eyepieces, focusers, etc.)?

      I have some from Target, but while the finger section can be taken off, the thumb remains covered with the thick material, so they are nearly useless.

      Thanks!

      Richard Spencer

    • Greg Nottingham

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
          Awesome, those look perfect!  I spent a while earlier last night looking around, couldn't find anything, so thanks!.

          (some other good stuff on that website so these will probably end up being pretty expensive "gloves + multiple other essential accessories I didn't think of until right now")

          Does anyone have any advice on a green laser pointer--is 10 mW (the lowest on the website) good enough for general use?  The next higher are 20 mW ($20 more, OK) and 50 mW (double the price, gulp!).

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
            Scope Stuff has a 5 mw that works on two AAA Bats

            Bill

            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 15, 2010
              Richard -

              I don't recall seeing any gloves where the thumb also folds back.  I have some like yours but the thumb has some rubber non-slip covering - they are functional enough but not very warm.
              I once cut the tips off some gloves and used them inside of mittens but it was a lot of bother getting the mittens on and off.  Now I just use a lot of those skiers heat packs.

              Greg