"The Hip Bones connected to the . . . . . oh oh!"

  • Art Bianconi
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2009
      Hi Don!

      Sorry to learn of your misfortune but pleased to learn that you're mending well.

      Don't throw away those screws! Odds are that they are stainless. Why not a club contest to see how they might be used building a scope mount!

      Happy New Year

      Art

          From: Don Surles

      Message
      1. how am i doin'?
          Posted by: "Don Surles" don.surles@... donsurles
          Date: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:03 pm ((PST))

      All...I am doing very well.  Having said that let me fill you in on "what happened".

      As you know we had 18-20 inches of snow Dec 17-18; Sunday, Dec 19 was gorgeous and I used the snow blower to clean off my driveway and un-plow all the snow the town saw fit to put at the end of my driveway.

      Monday was also a beautiful day and around 1:00 Pm I decided to go for my 3 mile hike around town in the slush, snow, and ice - it was an obstacle course in places.  By the time I returned home there had been some minor melting and refreezing on the driveway so I used a snow shovel and cleared out an ice-free path down the driveway to the mailbox.  And I went inside to remove my boots and watch TV.  After taking off my boots it was obvious I still had my shades on - and the real tv-viewing clear bifocals  were in my truck... so I slipped on a pair of sneakers and bopped out to the Tundra to switch glasses.  I got within a foot of the truck and slipped on some ice...and broke my right hip.

      The hip was repaired at Christiana Care around 5-7PM Tuesday afternoon...the 21st.  I was  walking on a walker at 10:00PM.  I came home Dec 24 and everything has gone well since.

      I will have the staples removed Tuesday and begin physical therapy Wednesday.

      There was a song about a cowboy and his sidearm by Marty Robbins named "Big Iron on His Hip"...tonite, I feel  like the cowboy with the big iron on his hip.  I have a 3/4" X 6" lag screw in the ball part of my thigh bone and it is connected to a 3" X 20" piece of channel iron that runs the entire length of my thigh bone...the lag screw and the channel iron are bolted together to hold the broken bones together... and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some body filler in the cracks of the bones.  Oh, there are a couple of smaller lag screws holding the C-Channel to the thigh bone.

      Here is a link to show the repair kits and and tools my repairman, Dr Craig Smucker, may have used to reconstruct my hip/thigh.  So far, he gets and A+ for his work.

      http://www.stryker.com/en-us/products/Trauma/HipFracture/Gamma3LockingNail/index.htm

      Happy New Year...watch out for the ice!

      Don...

      > How you doin'?

      > Pj

      Messages in this topic (1)

      <*> Your email settings:
          Digest Email  | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)

      <*> To change settings via email:
          delmarvastargazers-normal@yahoogroups.com
          delmarvastargazers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        All...I am doing very well.  Having said that let me fill you in on "what happened".

        As you know we had 18-20 inches of snow Dec 17-18; Sunday, Dec 19 was gorgeous and I used the snow blower to clean off my driveway and un-plow all the snow the town saw fit to put at the end of my driveway.

        Monday was also a beautiful day and around 1:00 Pm I decided to go for my 3 mile hike around town in the slush, snow, and ice - it was an obstacle course in places.  By the time I returned home there had been some minor melting and refreezing on the driveway so I used a snow shovel and cleared out an ice-free path down the driveway to the mailbox.  And I went inside to remove my boots and watch TV.  After taking off my boots it was obvious I still had my shades on - and the real tv-viewing clear bifocals  were in my truck... so I slipped on a pair of sneakers and bopped out to the Tundra to switch glasses.  I got within a foot of the truck and slipped on some ice...and broke my right hip.

        The hip was repaired at Christiana Care around 5-7PM Tuesday afternoon... the 21st.  I was  walking on a walker at 10:00PM.  I came home Dec 24 and everything has gone well since.

        I will have the staples removed Tuesday and begin physical therapy Wednesday.

        There was a song about a cowboy and his sidearm by Marty Robbins named "Big Iron on His Hip"...tonite, I feel  like the cowboy with the big iron on his hip.  I have a 3/4" X 6" lag screw in the ball part of my thigh bone and it is connected to a 3" X 20" piece of channel iron that runs the entire length of my thigh bone...the lag screw and the channel iron are bolted together to hold the broken bones together... and I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't some body filler in the cracks of the bones.  Oh, there are a couple of smaller lag screws holding the C-Channel to the thigh bone.

        Here is a link to show the repair kits and and tools my repairman, Dr Craig Smucker, may have used to reconstruct my hip/thigh.  So far, he gets and A+ for his work.

        http://www.stryker. com/en-us/ products/ Trauma/HipFractu re/Gamma3Locking Nail/index. htm

        Happy New Year...watch out for the ice!

        Don...

        > How you doin'?