Re: don't believe everything you read on the Internet

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
      --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

      > I was shocked to find that Spaceweather.com thinks 2010 is ending...before it has begun.
      >

      >>PJ...thanks for the great newsletter. It is a jewel and is the first of the new decade...only 119 more to finish.>>

      Actually Don, the new decade doesn't begin for another year...decades, centuries, and millennia all start "on the ones", of course. But, like the Spaceather error (since fixed, btw), we all knew what you both meant...

      Happy New Year!

      Jim
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
        Jim, the beginning and ending of decades, centuries, and millennia has been tossed around for...well, for centuries.

        the 1900's began with Jan 1,1900 and ended at midnite, Dec 31, 1999.  Like wise, the 2000's began with Jan 1, 2000... the first decade of the new century began  Jan, 1, 2000...so did the new millennia.

        how some ever, I understand your position.

        for those having difficulty with the concept I suggest going back to the Number Line Concept your algebra teacher used to explain number concepts.

        life is wonderful when this learning opportunity takes it's place at the top of the priority list.

        Don...

        On Dec 28, 2009, at 6:45 AM, Jim wrote:

        --- In delmarvastargazers@ yahoogroups. com, Don Surles <don.surles@ ...> wrote:

        > I was shocked to find that Spaceweather. com thinks 2010 is ending...before it has begun.
        >

        >>PJ...thanks for the great newsletter. It is a jewel and is the first of the new decade...only 119 more to finish.>>

        Actually Don, the new decade doesn't begin for another year...decades, centuries, and millennia all start "on the ones", of course. But, like the Spaceather error (since fixed, btw), we all knew what you both meant...

        Happy New Year!

        Jim

      • Michael Lecuyer
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 28, 2009
          There's no tossing around the millennium dates. It's just ignoring
          historical mathematics.

          There was no concept of zero until the 16th century in Europe and was
          only of interest to mathematicians. The Gregorian calendar was put
          together (using earlier sources) in the same century by a
          non-mathematician - Joseph Justus Scaliger. So no year 0.

          -2001 BC ... 1 ... 2001 AD. How Scaliger built the calendar.

          -2000 ... 0 ... 2000. How we would like to *imagine* the calendar with
          modern math.

          "Years of the Gregorian calendar, which is currently in use today, are
          counted from AD 1. Thus, the 1st century comprised the years AD 1
          through AD 100. The second century began with AD 101 and continued
          through AD 200. By extrapolation we find that the 20th century comprises
          the years AD 1901-2000. Therefore, the 21st century began with 1 January
          2001 and will continue through 31 December 2100."
          - US Naval Observatory.

          "The Anno Domini (Latin for "in the year of the/our Lord") system of
          numbering years, in which the leap year rules are written, and which is
          generally used together with the Gregorian calendar, is also known in
          English as the Common Era or Christian Era. Years before the beginning
          of the era are known in English as Before Christ, Before the Common Era,
          or Before the Christian Era. The corresponding abbreviations AD, CE, BC,
          and BCE are used. There is no year 0; AD 1 immediately follows 1 BC."
          -wikipedia.

          The Modified Julian Date (MJD) calendar has a year 0. But it uses
          periods of 7980 years starting from year -4712. The next MJD period
          starts in 3268-01-01 at noon, being for astronomers.