July Newsletter

  • Paul Riley
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2 5:10 AM
      The July issue of the Delmarva Stargazers 'Star Gazer News' is available for download.

      Members can download here:

      Non-members can also follow the above link to see what the Gazers are all about!

      Comments?

      Pj

    • Michael Lecuyer
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 6 1:56 PM
        I was looking at the sun this morning with my PST to see if any large
        prominences were active since nothing else seems to be happening. To my
        surprise there were two sunspots. Surprising since sunspots are not
        usually obvious in Ha views.

        After setting up a white light scope with a filter it turned out there
        were two groups of sunspots. Whenever I had the chance I looked through
        them both throughout the day. Somewhere between 1PM and 2:30PM the PST
        showed a very bright active region bridging the two groups. By 4PM the
        bridge had vanished but a bright patch between the two groups remains.

        Checking SpaceWeather.com this pair was said to be "crackling with
        B-class solar flares." The picture today on SW pretty much shows what I
        saw during the sun's performance (although SW shows vastly more detail)
        than the 40mm PST.

        Another lucky observation. Maybe tomorrow the action will continue.
      • Jerry Truitt
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 6 3:25 PM
          Thanks Mike, good catch. This may be the real start of the next solar
          sun spot cycle. The Sun has been very quiet for all those who ran out
          and purchased a PST for the last few years.

          By the way we do show the Sun's current EIT (Extreme ultraviolet Imaging
          Telescope) image on our home page.

          Jerry

          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Michael Lecuyer <mjl@...>

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 6 3:41 PM
            the position of this sunspot leads me to believe it is a member of the last cycle...unless the image is inverted.

            i believe the spots from the new cycle should be originating in the northern hemisphere.

            i will verify this assumption and reply to the group.

            Don...

            wrote:

            > I was looking at the sun this morning with my PST to see if any large
            > prominences were active since nothing else seems to be happening. To
            my
            > surprise there were two sunspots. Surprising since sunspots are not
            > usually obvious in Ha views.
            >
            > After setting up a white light scope with a filter it turned out there
            > were two groups of sunspots. Whenever I had the chance I looked
            through
            > them both throughout the day. Somewhere between 1PM and 2:30PM the PST
            > showed a very bright active region bridging the two groups. By 4PM the
            > bridge had vanished but a bright patch between the two groups remains.
            >
            > Checking SpaceWeather. com this pair was said to be "crackling with
            > B-class solar flares." The picture today on SW pretty much shows what
            > saw during the sun's performance (although SW shows vastly more
            detail)
            > than the 40mm PST.
            >
            > Another lucky observation. Maybe tomorrow the action will continue.

          • Patrick Robinson
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 10 9:18 AM
              I can download the newsletter here on out. thanks for sending it to me in the mail.

                                                                                 patrick robinson
                                                                                 1 mystic dr
                                                                                  bear de 19701