Yesterday in History

  • Jerry Truitt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2009
      In yesterday's paper's "Today in History" was a couple of interesting
      things for us astronomers I thought I'd share.

      1. May 5, 1961 astronaut Alan Shepard Jr. became America's first space
      traveler as he made a 15 minute suborbital flight in a capsule launched
      from Cape Canaveral, Fla.

      2. In 1925 school teacher John T. Scopes was charged in Tennessee with
      violating a state law that prohibited teaching the theory of evolution.
      (Scopes was found guilty, but his conviction was later set aside.)

      Interestingly today in Santa Ana California a federal judge ruled that a
      public high school history teacher violated the First Amendment when he
      called creationism "superstitious nonsense" during a class lecture. How
      far we've come huh?

      3. Some of us may recall the prediction of the end of the Earth as it
      would be torn apart by the gravity field in the year 2000 as the
      tightest alignment in 38 years of Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn,
      the Sun and Moon as seen from Earth took place.

      Thought for the day: When in doubt, duck - from Malcolm Forbes American
      Publisher