friday night

  • Patrick Robinson
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 19, 2009
      I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and the great views through the bigger scopes! what a great group of stargazers.  thanks to all!!!

                                                      patrick
    • Bob Bunge
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 19, 2009
        Friday night was a wonderful night. Even after getting there about 9:30
        and working through some minor set up issues, I managed to draw a dozen
        Herschel 400 galaxies before packing it in about 1:30. The highlight of
        the evening was nabbing an NGC galaxy in Libra that is also an Arp
        galaxy. In 1997, I started a project to observe and draw all 327 Arps.
        As of Saturday morning, I've got two left on the list! These are in
        Fornax, so it is a seasonal waiting game.

        Clear Skies,

        Bob

        Patrick Robinson wrote:

        > I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and the great views through the
        > bigger scopes! what a great group of stargazers. thanks to all!!!
        >
        > patrick

      • Douglas Norton
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 19, 2009
          Saturday night I picked up the new Cambridge Double star Atlas by James Mullaney and Wil Tirion. James was a guest speaker at the Star Party in April of 2001. For any of you who obeserve double and multiple stars, this is the atlas for you. But it not only contains information and plottings for 2400 selected pairs, spiral bound and printed in red light friendly colors for use in the field, it also contains 900 Non-Stellar Objects. Plenty of deep sky objects to keep you busy. This is a wonderful atlas and highly recommended by me.

          Doug Norton
          dnorton618@...
          http://dnorton2812.blogspot.com/

        • don surles
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 20, 2009
            Have you seen the weather forecast?

            it appears y'all gonna need some parasols, sombreros, sunbloc, and
            suntan lotion.

            Don't stop dancing til Sunday Morning.

            See you at the T-Hoe Equestrian Center Thursday.

            Don...

            On Apr 19, 2009, at 9:42 PM, Bob Bunge wrote:

            > Friday night was a wonderful night. Even after getting there about 9:30
            > and working through some minor set up issues, I managed to draw a
            > dozen
            > Herschel 400 galaxies before packing it in about 1:30. The highlight
            > of
            > the evening was nabbing an NGC galaxy in Libra that is also an Arp
            > galaxy. In 1997, I started a project to observe and draw all 327 Arps.
            > As of Saturday morning, I've got two left on the list! These are in
            > Fornax, so it is a seasonal waiting game.
            >
            > Clear Skies,
            >
            > Bob
            >
            > Patrick Robinson wrote:
            > >

            > > I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and the great views through the
            > > bigger scopes! what a great group of stargazers. thanks to all!!!
            > >
            > > patrick

            Don Surles
          • Patrick Robinson
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 21, 2009
              hey everybody,
                                 I went to the center last night and set-up near the barn by the potty. around 7:30 I heard a loud sound a few min.later I saw a light going by in the window, then I heard voices outside. I heard a car start up a few min after that. I don't think they knew I was there. I'll call the office monday morning. I was by myself, with all my stuff out, so I stayed put. just thought I would drop a line to the group. I didn't think about calling the police till I was home. I'll let everyone know what the office said.

                                         patrick
            • Paul Riley
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                The latest issue of the Star Gazer News is available for download.

                Members can download here:

                Non-members can also download to see what the Gazers are all 'bout.

                Comments ?

              • Bob Bunge
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 22, 2009
                  Hope I didn't break protocol, but I called and left a message at the
                  Ranger station in the afternoon and headed out about 9pm after getting
                  the kids in bed (and dealing with an emergency at work).

                  The gate to the Equestrian center was closed, but not locked. I found
                  the breaker panel for the pole light just south of the pole and flipped
                  switch #5... poof. Except there is also a light on the east side of the
                  barn.

                  A search didn't uncover any apparent switches for it, so I headed to far
                  south end of the field where the barn light was out of direct sight and
                  only a couple of light trees were in view but weren't that bright.

                  As I was setting up, I heard the some what distinct sound of a Maryland
                  State Highway Patrol helicopter taking off to the north. Within a
                  minute or so it was orbiting perhaps 2 miles to the north looking for
                  something with it's search light. The light wasn't a bother so set up
                  was finished.

                  Temps were in the mid-40's with no wind. I wrapped two hand warmers
                  around the secondary of the 20-inch expecting a good amount of dew.
                  Collimation was amazing easy considering I had done a good amount of
                  surgery to the 15 year-old mirror box of the 20-inch, cleaned the mirror
                  and put several new truss clamp blocks on the mirror box since no-frills.

                  Nonetheless, seeing was horrid because of the warm scope as I spot
                  checked the DSC's on M-42.

                  I then bounced over to some 12th magnitude galaxy in Cetus for an
                  additional DSC check/alignment, then headed down to two Arp galaxies in
                  Fornax. Both are bright and were easy. The 2nd object, NGC 1316 is the
                  southern most object on the Arp list and I found myself on my knees
                  looking through the eyepiece instead of perched on the ten foot latter.

                  After drawing and noting both of these objects, I did a little dance and
                  gig across the field, as NGC 1316 represented the last Arp galaxy that I
                  had not yet observed. I started this "little" project of drawing all
                  338 Arp objects in June of 1999, so it only took a decade! (newsletter
                  article to come later).

                  At some point, the helo disappeared as they likely went "bingo fuel" and
                  reappeared about 20 minutes later. They orbited for another hour before
                  landing and then disappearing. Finally, quiet returned to the field,
                  but I never did hear any of the Tuckahoe owls.

                  After the gig, I started on my new list, the Herschel 400, of which I've
                  drawn about 150 of 'em so far. I've observed all of the summer/fall
                  Herschel objects, so my purpose this night, after the Arp galaxies was
                  to get the winter milky way objects before it gets much colder.

                  At some point, while drawing an open cluster in Orion using a 38mm
                  eyepiece - a 6.9mm exit pupil for the 20-inch, so about as low as it can
                  go - I accidentally panned into a jaw-dropping "wide field" view of
                  M-42, now higher in the sky with glorious red, greens and blues hues.

                  About 2:30, after logging a dozen Herschels, I packed up, turned on the
                  light and moved through the gate.

                  All in all, a special night, both for finishing a long project and for
                  wonderful skies and wonderful objects. A special thanks to all the
                  Stargazers who work to make this site available to club members!

                  Clear Skies,

                  Bob Bunge
                  Bowie
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013
                    folks…the pendulum has swung in our favor.

                    Friday night is forecast to be clear, cool (53F) and moonless until after sunrise Sat morning.

                    so…I am planning to be at Blackbird State Forest for some serious star gazing.

                    Hope to see you there around 7:30PM

                    Don…
                  • Bundschuh
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013
                      Don,
                      Can you tell me the address to punch in the GPS for the site?
                      Alan

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013
                        the address of BBSF parking lot/observing site for your GPS is

                        2103 Harvey Straughn Rd Townsend, DE 19734-9290

                        the parking lot/observing site is directly across the road from this house.

                        Don…

                        On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Bundschuh wrote:

                        > Don,
                        > Can you tell me the address to punch in the GPS for the site?
                        > Alan

                      • fred_delucia
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 4, 2013

                          Don/Alan, good call on that one. That address and the lat/long coordinates given when accessing the BBSF CSC's "Road Map" is a good 2 miles difference. I'm going to try to make it Friday night. It's only an hour from my house.

                          --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, <delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                          the address of BBSF parking lot/observing site for your GPS is

                          2103 Harvey Straughn Rd Townsend, DE 19734-9290

                          the parking lot/observing site is directly across the road from this house.

                          Don…

                          On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Bundschuh wrote:

                          > Don,
                          > Can you tell me the address to punch in the GPS for the site?
                          > Alan

                        • Calixto Estrada
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 6, 2013
                            Hi Don

                            Unless it clouds up bad, I'll be there. Tonights target NGC 7293, Helix Nebula. Dead south, kinda low around midnight.

                            Cal

                            --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

                            > the address of BBSF parking lot/observing site for your GPS is
                            >
                            > 2103 Harvey Straughn Rd Townsend, DE 19734-9290
                            >
                            > the parking lot/observing site is directly across the road from this house.
                            >
                            > Don…
                            >

                            > On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Bundschuh wrote:
                            >
                            > > Don,
                            > > Can you tell me the address to punch in the GPS for the site?
                            > > Alan

                          • Robert Bunge
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 6, 2013
                              I won't be there, but possible rocket launch from Wallops about 11:30.  A big one, perhaps the largest ever launched from there.  Details:

                              Bob

                              On Fri, Sep 6, 2013 at 3:21 PM, Calixto Estrada <ce6349@...> wrote:
                              Hi Don

                              Unless it clouds up bad, I'll be there.  Tonights target NGC 7293, Helix Nebula.  Dead south, kinda low around midnight.

                              Cal

                              --- In delmarvastargazers@yahoogroups.com, Don Surles <don.surles@...> wrote:

                              > the address of BBSF parking lot/observing site for your GPS is
                              >
                              > 2103 Harvey Straughn Rd Townsend, DE 19734-9290
                              >
                              > the parking lot/observing site is directly across the road from this house.
                              >
                              > Don…
                              >

                              > On Sep 4, 2013, at 8:29 PM, Bundschuh wrote:
                              >
                              > > Don,
                              > > Can you tell me the address to punch in the GPS for the site?
                              > > Alan

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to: